part postmarks(again)

Old October 25th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default part postmarks(again)

This is odds and sods time

a) France
1. xxx (S ? )PRIT -Haute Pyrenees. I can find 2 on internaute.com
but neither is in this department. Has it changed its name ? Any other
explanation ? On a 50c "semeuse"

2. Les-Bains( poss)xxxx on a 1912 25c Semeuse. Puy de Dome department.
I can find a somewhere-les-Bains in Puy de Dome. Could it be a Les
bains de xxxxxx ?

b) Germany

3.xxxLZE 1932 Reich stamp. Postmark says also Hannover. Is it a sub-
office of Hannover City or another town in Hannover State ?

c) Norway

4. ?? okks ??? 60o 1940 Lion

5.?? okken (space) v(?) o of okken has a diagonal line through.On
same stamp as above.

d) Malaya

6. xx lan ( Jalan ?) Kempa ???? - Negri Sembilan I think

e) A selection of Australia

7. xxx hns River. ( Johns or St.Johns ?)
8.xxx ambour
9. xxxeamber
10.??? alanga
11. ???bogan
12. wa???na???ool ( Victoria )

I have a number of others but I have the first few letters so I have
got them off "fallingrain"

From the New Zealand suggestions I have tracked down all except
Houroha. I have found on Google a Houroha harbour,( one reference
only ) and no post code or post office or other reference to a
settlement - so this must be wrong. I am open to any other
suggestions !

Please note in my defence these have all been soaked by previous
owners of the stamps - I do not destroy ANY legible postmarks by
soaking !!!

I have only recently started trying to identify part postmarks and so
far (with a little help from my friends here) not many have beaten me.

Malcolm
Old October 25th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

malcolm schrieb:
[...]

From the New Zealand suggestions I have tracked down all except
Houroha. I have found on Google a Houroha harbour,( one reference
only ) and no post code or post office or other reference to a
settlement - so this must be wrong. I am open to any other
suggestions !

Please note in my defence these have all been soaked by previous
owners of the stamps - I do not destroy ANY legible postmarks by
soaking !!!

I have only recently started trying to identify part postmarks and so
far (with a little help from my friends here) not many have beaten me.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

scans would be useful to help You. Can You load up scans please?

kind regards

Gerhard
Old October 26th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"malcolm"

You need a better vehicle descriptive, scans be the best.

d) Malaya
6. xx lan ( Jalan ?) Kempa ???? - Negri Sembilan I think

need scan first

e) A selection of Australia

8.xxx ambour ........................Probably Nambour (queensland)
9. xxxeamber
10.??? alanga
11. ???bogan
12. wa???na???ool ( Victoria ).............definitely Warnambool

Old October 26th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"rodney"
10.??? alanga.............take your pick

LOCATION: TANGAMBALANGA, VIC
POSTCODE: 3691
CATEGORY: Delivery Area

2. LOCATION: KALANGADOO, SA
POSTCODE: 5278
CATEGORY: Delivery Area

11. ???bogan take your pick.............

LOCATION: DUNBOGAN, NSW

POSTCODE: 2443

2. LOCATION: BOGANGAR, NSW

POSTCODE: 2488

3. LOCATION: THARBOGANG, NSW

POSTCODE: 2680

4. LOCATION: BOGAN, NSW

POSTCODE: 2825

COMMENTS: Nyngan

5. LOCATION: BOGAN, NSW

POSTCODE: 2839

COMMENTS: Brewarrina

6. LOCATION: BOGAN GATE, NSW

POSTCODE: 2876

7. LOCATION: BOGANDILLA, QLD

POSTCODE: 4425

-------------------------------

part postcodes here

http://www1.auspost.com.au/postcodes...submit1=Search

Old October 28th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

a) France
1. * *xxx (S ? )PRIT -Haute Pyrenees. I can find 2 on internaute.com
but neither is in this department. Has it changed its name ? Any other
explanation ? On a 50c "semeuse"

Esprit Montagne (Cauterets) in H.P. ?
It is a ski resort.
http://demo.esi-cauterets.com/fr/index.aspx

Blair
Old October 29th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_4_]

Blair (TC) a écrit :

Esprit Montagne (Cauterets) in H.P. ?
It is a ski resort.
http://demo.esi-cauterets.com/fr/index.aspx

Cauterets is indeed a very nice old skiing resort in the Pyrenees.

But I wonder that it could be Esprit, the name of a skiing school that
has surely been created recently and which was *certainly* not existing
at the time of the 50c "semeuse" (~ 1920 - 1930). IIRC, those "Ecoles de
Ski Internationales" were created (in France) only in the 80's.
Additionnally, I cannot see how the name of a ski school could be on a
postmark (unless it is part of an advertisement on the side of the
postmark itself : what we call a "flamme" in France's philately).

Unless Malcolm can show us a scan, I give up !

--

All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old October 29th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

malcolm a écrit :
This is odds and sods time

Hello Malcolm, and the group.
I didn't know this "odds and sods" expression. Good for my english,
thanks. In french: "bricoles", small and unimportant objects, matters.

a) France
1. xxx (S ? )PRIT -Haute Pyrenees. I can find 2 on internaute.com
but neither is in this department. Has it changed its name ? Any other
explanation ? On a 50c "semeuse"

For this one, i can't imagine any answer without a scan.

2. Les-Bains( poss)xxxx on a 1912 25c Semeuse. Puy de Dome department.
I can find a somewhere-les-Bains in Puy de Dome. Could it be a Les
bains de xxxxxx ?

This one should read either "Les Bains du Mont Dore" or "Les Bains du
Mt Dore" (the same place, the name may be abreviated or not).

Best regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old October 30th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Mycroft[_2_]

Houhora - just because it's not listed anywhere doesn't mean it doesn't exist! It is right up at the pointed end of the North Island of New
Zealand, roughly halfway between Kaitaia and Cape Reinga. I am totally guessing here but I would say that it used to be a harbour from which the
kauri timber was shipped. It has a tavern and a road called Cemetery Road, both of which are usually a good sign that timber was ripped out of
there during the 19th century. You only needed to have two guys living in a tin shed in those days for the Post Office to open a branch for you,
possibly as part of the many services that would have been offered by the tavern. When the post office got privatised in the 1980s, hundreds of
post offices like this got closed down or at least lost their date stamps with all mail being shipped to the big town for franking.

Cheers - John Mycroft

malcolm wrote:
[...]

From the New Zealand suggestions I have tracked down all except

Old October 30th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Thanks all for your input

Bruno

"odds and sods" is a slang form of "odds and ends" - not so much
unimportant as " a selection of unrelated items" without a specific
theme - as in this case a selection of postmarks from different
countries - rather than a question on one country in particular. Glad
to help with the English - however as in all "living" languages
meanings can change over time and can differ in diffrent English-
speaking countries ( and even in different regions of the same country
- regrettably "true" dialect is dying out but remnants docarry on -
with 'owd folk like me. ).

All

Unfortunately I have a number of computer problems at the moment, one
of them being a reluctant scanner.

Les Bains...etc. This is probable I suppose but cannot find on
l'internaute.Probably my fault I have come to rely on this too much I
think. Back to fallingrain....

....sprit. This is definitely the end of the word at the top of the
pmk ,and Pyrenees is at the end of the bottom ( can it be anything
other than "Haute Pyrenees" I only have an up-to-date list of "modern"
departments - in former times were the "ancien regions" used in
postmarks? ). Left hand half of postmark is off-stamp.

Rodney

Tangabalanga and Dunbogan are the likeliest I think - both are at the
end of the word with letters before.

I do curse these people who soak off "small town" postmarks
( admittedly I have been guilty in the past before I took an interest
in such things )

Thanks again to all - any further flashes of inspiration are
welcome !!!

Malcolm

Old October 30th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

malcolm a écrit :
Thanks all for your input

Bruno

"odds and sods" is a slang form of "odds and ends" - not so much
unimportant as " a selection of unrelated items" without a specific
theme - as in this case a selection of postmarks from different
countries - rather than a question on one country in particular. Glad
to help with the English - however as in all "living" languages
meanings can change over time and can differ in diffrent English-
speaking countries ( and even in different regions of the same country
- regrettably "true" dialect is dying out but remnants docarry on -
with 'owd folk like me. ).

Gratefully acknowleged.

Unfortunately I have a number of computer problems at the moment, one
of them being a reluctant scanner.

Les Bains...etc. This is probable I suppose but cannot find on
l'internaute.Probably my fault I have come to rely on this too much I
think. Back to fallingrain....

I am sure that Bains du Mt Dore is in Puy de Dôme, you can rely on
that.
But today it is just "Le Mont-Dore", perhaps that is what got you
stuck.

...sprit. This is definitely the end of the word at the top of the
pmk ,and Pyrenees is at the end of the bottom ( can it be anything
other than "Haute Pyrenees" I only have an up-to-date list of "modern"
departments - in former times were the "ancien regions" used in
postmarks? ). Left hand half of postmark is off-stamp.

OK ! then it probably is "Basses-Pyrénées", another département, and
the picture gets more clear, I propose "Bayonne-St-Esprit", a secondary
post-office of the city of Bayonne (Bayonne ham is not so bad to start
a lunch).

--
Cordialement,
Bruno