Waxed sandwich bags - this is NOT off-topic!!!

Old October 22nd 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Mycroft[_2_]

Default Waxed sandwich bags - this is NOT off-topic!!!

Gday
Some time ago I bought a large junk lot that includes thousands of stamps in hundreds of what I took to be old fashioned glassines but which turn
out to be, I think, waxed paper sandwich bags. They are about 7 x 5" and have a 1" gusset in the side so you can get a decent size chip buttie in
there. You certainly can't write on them. I'm in the process of transferring the stamps I want into stockbooks / albums which leaves me with
hundreds of these things. They don't seem to have had any negative effect on the stamps that have been in there for over 20 years. Does anyone
have any knowledge / opinions on these things?
There is a picture of one (not mine) at
http://cgi.ebay.com/510-Fischer-7x2x...3286.m20.l1116

Thanks - John Mycroft
Old October 22nd 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi John,

First off what is a 'chip buttie'? Since I joined this group I am
starting to learn oz language.

The only concern I would have with the bags is if they were in a warm
environment and some of the bag wax migrated to the stamps. Other
than that, based on the picture, they look like they may be made of
the same, or similar, material as glassine envelopes and the possible
reason that the stamps did not have any visible damage.

Jerry B
Old October 22nd 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Paul Herber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ http://www.pherber.com/
Old October 22nd 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

John Mycroft wrote:
Gday
Some time ago I bought a large junk lot that includes thousands of
stamps in hundreds of what I took to be old fashioned glassines but
which turn out to be, I think, waxed paper sandwich bags. They are
about 7 x 5" and have a 1" gusset in the side so you can get a decent
size chip buttie in there. You certainly can't write on them. I'm in
the process of transferring the stamps I want into stockbooks / albums
which leaves me with hundreds of these things. They don't seem to have
had any negative effect on the stamps that have been in there for over
20 years. Does anyone have any knowledge / opinions on these things?

I would toss them as you empty them -- unless you want to return them to
their intended use.

Old October 23rd 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

The chip buttie, soul food.
The favoured choice by John Lennon and the lads when touring,

Perhaps give consideration the stamps were not there 20 years
but put there recently by the vendor organising the lot.
I'd agree with Terry, and ditch 'em, especially when achival polypropylene
is available so cheaply.

. ..

Old October 23rd 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"John Mycroft"
I'm in the process of transferring the stamps I want into stockbooks /
albums

I never thought I would say it,
but I rue the demise of the "Chinese stock book"

They were great vehicles to place duplicates for auctions,
since they are no longer available, what does one do?
Modern stockbooks are so expensive.

Our last auction, blank, old Chinese stockbooks were selling
for $8 upwards, amazing.

Old October 23rd 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:14:47 +0800, rodney wrote:

I never thought I would say it,
but I rue the demise of the "Chinese stock book"

I don't know if I'm revealing my age or my nationality, but: Qu'est-ce
que c'est?

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old October 23rd 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Just snapped this in the den.
http://cjoint.com/data/kxdDCFHNZx.htm

I used to give the darn things away.
They attract moisture easily,
no good for long term storage

Old October 23rd 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 22, 9:33*pm, "rodney" wrote:
Just snapped this in the den.http://cjoint.com/data/kxdDCFHNZx.htm

I used to give the darn things away.
They attract moisture easily,
no good for long term storage

Rod:

Why would they attrract moisture more than the new types?

Also, are the strips glassine or plastic?

Blair

Old October 23rd 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Hi Blair,
Ever ripped apart an old cover of a Boy's Annual?
It used to fascinate me as a kid,
there would be newspapers, book pages and what have you
printed in Chinese or Japanese, with pictures etc.
I used to ponder what they said.
These are similar, lightly pressed low grade cardboard,
with a make up similar to a sponge.
No doubt if kept in a pristine environment, they would suffice,
but that's clearly not the case, they come with radical
bows and bends fom moisture, and the photographic outline
of previous stamps that had toning. eeek!
Oh! and of course the obligatory "half stamp" where the gum has fastened
under the plastic strip, someone has yanked it and its come apart.

for example here is Chinese Stock Book SG888.1/2 of tristan da cunha.
this is philately in the trenches, no place for the weak or giddy.
http://cjoint.com/data/kxg4Z5sI16.htm

The strips are plastic.

"Blair (TC)"