Anybody know who guy #2 on this medal is??

Old January 16th 09, 08:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default Anybody know who guy #2 on this medal is??

I have a medal up for sale on eBay right now, a commemorative for the
50th anniversary of the Leyte Gulf battle (Philippines), with two
portraits on it. One is obviously General Douglas MacArthur (with the
corncob pipe, no less), but I have absolutely no idea as to who the
second guy is. If anyone out there in r.c.c-land knows who it is, or
has a good guess, please let me know. TIA!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...28030304 2491

Old January 16th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Ken Barr" wrote:

I have a medal up for sale on eBay right now, a commemorative for the
50th anniversary of the Leyte Gulf battle (Philippines), with two
portraits on it. One is obviously General Douglas MacArthur (with the
corncob pipe, no less), but I have absolutely no idea as to who the
second guy is. If anyone out there in r.c.c-land knows who it is, or
has a good guess, please let me know. TIA!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...28030304 2491

I'm pretty sure it's a bad picture of Sergio Osmeña, who was
President of the Philippines at the time and landed with
MacArthur on Red Beach.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Nid wif yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch ar unrhyw waith i'w

Old January 16th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Michael Benveniste wrote:
"Ken Barr" wrote:

I have a medal up for sale on eBay right now, a commemorative for the
50th anniversary of the Leyte Gulf battle (Philippines), with two
portraits on it. One is obviously General Douglas MacArthur (with
the corncob pipe, no less), but I have absolutely no idea as to who
the second guy is. If anyone out there in r.c.c-land knows who it
is, or has a good guess, please let me know. TIA!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...28030304 2491

I'm pretty sure it's a bad picture of Sergio Osmeña, who was
President of the Philippines at the time and landed with
MacArthur on Red Beach.

I'd say you have it right. Here's a picture of him, pith helmet and all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Osmena_leyte.jpg

And no, I'm not lithping.

Jameth

Old January 16th 09, 02:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

And no, I'm not lithping.

Jameth

What a cruel joke it is. Who thought of the word 'lisp', knowing that
someone with one couldn't say it properly?
While on the subject, why is the word 'abbreviation' so long? Whats
another word for 'thesaurus'? What if there were no hypothetical
questions?

Jud
'The Philosopher'
Old January 16th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

Michael Benveniste wrote:
"Ken Barr" wrote:

I have a medal up for sale on eBay right now, a commemorative for
the
50th anniversary of the Leyte Gulf battle (Philippines), with two
portraits on it. One is obviously General Douglas MacArthur (with
the corncob pipe, no less), but I have absolutely no idea as to
who
the second guy is. If anyone out there in r.c.c-land knows who it
is, or has a good guess, please let me know. TIA!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...28030304 2491

I'm pretty sure it's a bad picture of Sergio Osmeña, who was
President of the Philippines at the time and landed with
MacArthur on Red Beach.

I'd say you have it right. Here's a picture of him, pith helmet and
all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Osmena_leyte.jpg

And no, I'm not lithping.

That was pithy of you, James.

But you and Michael beat me to it. I figured it probably would be the
Philippine prez (or maybe the Australian commander) but hadn't found a
pic of him yet and was going through the American commanders. (Vice
Admiral Willis Lee turned out to be an excellent match for the lousy
pic but he was a secondary figure.) I salute your googling skills.

The cartoonish renditions are so bad that at first glance Osmena could
be mistaken for Tojo and MacArthur is barely recognizable unless you
already are familiar with his mug. I wouldn't even plunk down the
initial $5 bid for this one.

Old January 16th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Jud" wrote:

What a cruel joke it is. Who thought of the word 'lisp', knowing that
someone with one couldn't say it properly?
While on the subject, why is the word 'abbreviation' so long? Whats
another word for 'thesaurus'? What if there were no hypothetical
questions?

Why isn't the word phonetically spelled phonetically?

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam

Old January 16th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Ken Barr wrote:
I have a medal up for sale on eBay right now, a commemorative for the
50th anniversary of the Leyte Gulf battle (Philippines), with two
portraits on it. One is obviously General Douglas MacArthur (with the
corncob pipe, no less), but I have absolutely no idea as to who the
second guy is. If anyone out there in r.c.c-land knows who it is, or
has a good guess, please let me know. TIA!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...28030304 2491

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I've updated the lot description
to properly identify President Osmena.

(For the record, I DID look through the Krause-Mishler and Pick
catalogs to see if he was pictured on any Philippine coins/notes, and
did not make the connection between the image on the medal and the
portraits on P-65, P-171, P-183, etc. He looks a bit different when
older, without glasses and without the pith helmet ...).

old new medal? Dale Hallmark Coins 2 February 12th 06 12:23 AM
Medal Broze?, Silver? CULINARY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA oval medal. Don Saklad Coins 4 January 12th 06 02:28 PM
medal help Brian Blackwell Coins 0 October 22nd 05 09:05 PM
Help with a medal please Cliff Coins 0 August 28th 04 02:44 AM