Street market seller in SE Asia

Old September 9th 11, 12:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Street market seller in SE Asia

wrote in message
I just returned from a trip to SE Asia: Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia,
and Hon Kong. Whenever I went to a market, I looked for booths
selling fountain pens (but I did not search out any “real” pen
shops). The only booth I found selling fountain pens was at a street
market in the Mong Kok neighborhood of Hong Kong.*

The seller obviously did not know much about the pens, and this was
just a small part of her business. She had about 20 different pens on
display, and was asking HK$39 each. I bought three pens for HK$100
total (about US$13): a Baoer 701, a Dikawen 821, and a Jinhao X450.
All of the pens came with piston converters. I had never heard of
these brands, and I chose the pens based on their esthetic appeal. I
found pictures of my pens on eBay.

While my Duofold Centennial was out for repair, I started using the
Baoer. It was a pleasant surprise, writing a uniform and clean fine
line with a very smooth feel. I still like my Parker better, but I
like the Baoer more than my Mont Blanc 146.

* The only other shops in Asia where I remember seeing fountain pens
were in the Silk Street Market in Beijing. If I ever go back, I plan
to take a closer looks at their merchandise, and plan on a target
price of about US$5 per pen (about 35 RMB) or less.

-----

Thanks for the trip report. You got a good deal!

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Wall Street Journal ---- Preciouse-Coin Market May Lose Its Luster Arizona Coin Collector Coins 29 May 12th 08 03:29 PM
(RCSD) "To market, to market!" Rod General Discussion 0 September 5th 07 02:08 AM
Asia Postage ??? awfreak Autographs 3 February 2nd 07 02:30 AM
Seller expectations (aka Seller fantasies) Jim Seymour Coins 5 November 15th 05 05:37 AM