Montblanc StarWalker Collection - Rubber/Metal Roller (Not!)

Old December 1st 08, 03:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bart

Default Montblanc StarWalker Collection - Rubber/Metal Roller (Not!)

Hope I don't get stoned for admitting this here...

I was in Shanghai on business recently (fascinating city!). A friend had
asked me to bring him a couple of fake Mont Blanc pens, and after some
negotiation I bought two pens from a street vendor for about $4 each. Later
in the evening I took a closer look at them. To be honest, I was surprised
at the fit and finish -- so much so that before leaving for home I bought a
couple of pens for myself, copies of the StarWalker Rubber/Metal Rollerball
pen (I must admit that due to only having a short time for shopping I didn't
negotiate nearly as well, and paid about $5 each for them). In addition to
the fit and finish, the pens write quite smoothly (I've used them quite a
bit since getting home), and I was surprised to find they contain what
appears to be a real Mont Blanc rollerball refill.

I don't approve of counterfeiting (yes, I did buy them, but mostly out of
curiosity) but I'm intrigued as to where these things come from. Who
manufactures them? And, are the refills real Mont Blanc? The retail price
for a refill in the US is more than I paid for the pen...

Bart

Old December 1st 08, 08:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-12-01, Bart wrote:
Hope I don't get stoned for admitting this here...

I was in Shanghai on business recently (fascinating city!). A friend had
asked me to bring him a couple of fake Mont Blanc pens, and after some
negotiation I bought two pens from a street vendor for about $4 each. Later
in the evening I took a closer look at them. To be honest, I was surprised
at the fit and finish -- so much so that before leaving for home I bought a
couple of pens for myself, copies of the StarWalker Rubber/Metal Rollerball
pen (I must admit that due to only having a short time for shopping I didn't
negotiate nearly as well, and paid about $5 each for them). In addition to
the fit and finish, the pens write quite smoothly (I've used them quite a
bit since getting home), and I was surprised to find they contain what
appears to be a real Mont Blanc rollerball refill.

Norman at hisnibs might be a good source of information as well
as the guy from isellpens.

matthew
Old December 2nd 08, 01:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bart" wrote in message
Hope I don't get stoned for admitting this here...

I was in Shanghai on business recently (fascinating city!). A friend had
asked me to bring him a couple of fake Mont Blanc pens, and after some
negotiation I bought two pens from a street vendor for about $4 each...

snip
I'm intrigued as to where these things come from. Who manufactures them?
And, are the refills real Mont Blanc? The retail price for a refill in
the US is more than I paid for the pen...

This doesn't answer your question, but if you like the way MB rollerballs
write, you can fit the refills into the Pilot G2 body. There's an article at
http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-$200-in-2-minutes-and-have-the-worlds-best-wr/
about it.

Personally I think the Uni-ball Vision Elite is far better. YMMV of course.