How to fix Talentum

Old November 24th 05, 04:05 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default How to fix Talentum

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:10:03 +0000, TheHiddenPoster wrote:

Ok. A nasty thing happened to me. At the doctors office I slipped my
Talentum into my jeans pocket. I went into one of the examining rooms and
decided to make a note. I pulled my pen out, and voila. The body is a
smooth cylinder that changes width about one and a quarter centimeters
from the top. The top broke of cleanly where the width changed.

So the disaster gave me a chance to try something I've been wanting to do
for a while. I ran out and got a bottile of "Gorilla Glue", which I've
been hearing about for a while.

Big problem though. You need to clamp the object. So a little creativity,
I rolled up a sheet of paper which I put in the pen and adjusted to fit
snugly. Then I took an old pill bottle put in a bunch of cotton. Put the
body in with the end just barely sticking out. I put a weight on top. A
couple more pill bottles to add stability to the weight. Not perfect but
seemed to do the trick.

From a distance looks like nothing has happened. Though close examination
does reveal the break. Will let you know how it stands up.

Next a Waterford where the feed slides out of the sleeve with the
threading. Though It will be harder to clamp.

It did not work. The pen held together at least an hour when used, but the
minute I screwed the cap on and off, the neck broke off. The problem is
that the break is too clean.There are no ridges or anything to grab hold
off, so the only thing holding the neck on is the glue, and it can't
handle sidewise strain. Since this is exactly the same weakness that crazy
glue has, I'm pretty certain crazy glueon't work. So I am looking for
other suggestions. Any help?

Old November 24th 05, 07:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

My friend, simply put...I'd be upset at myself. My only suggestion is
sending the pen to the factory to have a new section installed. I cannot
think of anything that can be done otherwise. Have you contacted any
repair 'sites to inquire on a replacment? Sorry to hear of your plight.

Old November 24th 05, 01:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

TheHiddenPoster wrote in
news
[...]

From a distance looks like nothing has happened. Though close
examination does reveal the break. Will let you know how it stands
up.

Next a Waterford where the feed slides out of the sleeve with the
threading. Though It will be harder to clamp.

It did not work. The pen held together at least an hour when used, but
the minute I screwed the cap on and off, the neck broke off. The
problem is that the break is too clean.There are no ridges or anything
to grab hold off, so the only thing holding the neck on is the glue,
and it can't handle sidewise strain. Since this is exactly the same
weakness that crazy glue has, I'm pretty certain crazy glueon't work.
So I am looking for other suggestions. Any help?

Gorilla Glue is mainly for wood working. It requires you wet the surfaces
first before it sets up, you know. And it swells some when it sets up to
fill any voids, which is why wood workers love it.

Old November 24th 05, 02:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:16:07 GMT, Bruce wrote:

Gorilla Glue is mainly for wood working. It requires you wet the surfaces
first before it sets up, you know.

It requires moisture. Outside Arizona or particularly dry weather,
atmospheric moisture is perfectly adequate. Boiling a kettle in the
workshop is enough.

And it swells some when it sets up to
fill any voids,

Gorilla Glue is a non-foaming variety of these PU (polyurethane) glues.
Most of the others foam much more than Gorilla.

which is why wood workers love it.

Most woodworkers _hate_ it. PU glues have any number of failings:
they're expensive, they're a problem on skin, they foam, they're
unusable outdoors as they have poor UV resistance. They're certainly not
useful for fine cabinetry.

I can't imagine why anyone would even think of using Gorilla Glue for
repairing a pen. If you do, then that's nature's way of telling you you
ought to get someone else to repair it.

Old November 25th 05, 02:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Andy Dingley wrote:

Most woodworkers _hate_ [Gorilla Glue] it.
PU glues have any number of failings:
they're expensive, they're a problem on skin,
they foam, they're unusable outdoors as they
have poor UV resistance. They're certainly not
useful for fine cabinetry. ...

I prefer an aliphatic resin glue for wood. Sold
as "carpenter's glue," it holds tight, doesn't
expand or foam, and excess can be wiped away
with a damp rag w/o leaving a witness mark
or requiring paint thinner. You can get it all
over your skin with no problem at all. Excess
can be picked off with your thumbnail w/o
using a chisel.

Gorilla Glue foams, is expensive, requires
more careful handling than your basic Elmer's
c/g -- and to boot it's being promoted egregiously
at every hardware store on Earth, raising the
price to pay for the aisle stands, posters
and brochures -- which all state, by the way,
that the product requires special handling,
foams and isn't for everyone. [I would say
"anyone."]

I bought a small bottle and used it on a
few household repairs. In each case, a
different adhesive would have performed
better, in my opinion. The bottle now sits
on a shelf in case I ever need to bond two
halves of a decorative rock together -- about
the only repair I would consider it for.

I would never, ever, use it on even a two-dollar
pen.

Old November 25th 05, 10:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

What I found bizzare was before using any glue, wouldn't the best thing to
do first was ask a panel of pen collectors what they thought, your post was
nerve racking, I was reading what happened to your pen, I had just wiped the
tears from my eyes and then read on that you ran out and bought "the glue",
I was screaming at my monitor "no don't do it" I ended up in a padded
observation room for the night.

I think the best advise came from Paul, check into replacing the broken
piece. otherwise you will need to use a glue that welds the plastic together
(crazy glue), while tricky to use (will ruin the finished surface if you do
a sloppy job), it would be the only way you will fix it, and even still, I
would forever treat that pen as a "repaired" pen, and it would most likely
stay at home, a metal cap and barell pen should be your pen choice if you
are planing on sticking it into your jeans pocket.

The fact that it is such a clean break, a crazy type glue, carfully being
brushed! on to both surfaces, slight delay before the merge, hand held till
set (may take 5 mins depending on your glue) and left alone for 48 hours, is
the only way you will get that thing together. There is no quick fix, allow
time for the glue to cure, even if the package says "sets in 1 minute",
don't forget they would prefer you try it 4-5 times and use 4-5 times the
amount of glue, then get it right the first shot. You will notice the fix on
the second time around, and even more on the 3rd, the surfaces are being
eaten away each time. Now that the pen is coated with gorilla glue could
cause a problem....

Give the pen company a call first!

And please don't run out and get a hot glue gun, they will keep me for a
week, and no pointy objects are allowed...

Darrell

Old November 28th 05, 06:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

[misadventures with Gorilla Glue, etc.]

Try a solvent next time. I suggest acetone. And leave it alone for
at least 24 hours before trying it out.

--
Barutan Seijin --