Ebay sign in

Old August 31st 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tom in Lakewood

Default Ebay sign in

I've used a couple of the automatic snipe programs with pretty good
luck. Tonight I thought since I'm just sitting around I'd go ahead
and manually snipe a little Ebay auction that showed pretty good
promise. I always sign in to Ebay and check the "keep me signed in
for a day" block. I was browsing around waiting for the last minute
and calculating my bid. At the moment of truth with about 13 seconds
left I entered my bid and clicked the mouse. I was presented with the
Ebay sign in asking for my userid and password. By the time I got it
entered and my bid submitted the auction had ended and some lucky
bidder got a steal. I have no way of knowing if my bid would have
overtaken his highest proxy bid, but I didn't even get a chance. I
wonder what the "keep me signed in for a day" check box is for? I had
added several items to my watch list through the last hour with no
problems. The coins aren't something I would have kept, so no great
loss. But they're currently selling for about 4 or 5 times what the
winner got them for.

Tom

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 31st 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

Tom in Lakewood wrote in
:

[...]

Yeah, I've had similar problems, with that darn thing not keeping me
signed in like I would expect it to. I have no idea what that 'feature'
is good for - doesn't seem to work with any reliability.

Longing to have the option to be signed in always, unless I manually
sign out.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old August 31st 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Cliff Lawless

On 31-Aug-2006, Tom in Lakewood wrote:

At the moment of truth with about 13 seconds
left I entered my bid and clicked the mouse. I was presented with the
Ebay sign in asking for my userid and password. By the time I got it
entered and my bid submitted the auction had ended and some lucky
bidder got a steal.

I usually stay signed in unless I close my browser. Then I always have to
sign in again. I use an IE plugin called RoboForm. When I get the sign in
page I hit my Ebay link and it "fills and submits". I can get back in pretty
fast. The free version will allow you to store 10 usernames and passwords.

Cliff Lawless

See what I'm into!
http://www.MyCoinCabinet.com
Old August 31st 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On 31 Aug 2006 21:25:44 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

Yeah, I've had similar problems, with that darn thing not keeping me
signed in like I would expect it to. I have no idea what that 'feature'
is good for - doesn't seem to work with any reliability.

In sessioned web applications I've worked on, if an authenticated
session comes from one IP address, and then comes from another IP
address, they always will ask you to re-authenticate.

Longing to have the option to be signed in always, unless I manually
sign out.

There are security concerns with such a trust relationship. If I drop a
non-expiring cookie on your desktop, and someone takes that from you
somehow (if you're running Windows, not much imagination is needed to
think of at least 3 general ways), then your eBay session would be
compromised. So much more effective to say "That cookie isn't from the
system and IP that just validated, revalidate". I suspect this is what
happened.

The suggestion to solve the 'problem' is obvious, to me at least.

Old September 1st 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"Tom in Lakewood" wrote in message
[...]

I was bidding on a large quantity of auctions not too long ago and after
placing bids in about 35 auctions I was asked to sign in again even though I
had signed in earlier and had checked the box. Fortunately, I was placing
early, cheap bids and not sniping. I typically will manually snipe auctions
that I am interested in and consider still affordable and one of these days
I am going to be very upset when the sign-in ( resign-in) costs me my snipe
bid.

Bill

Old September 1st 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Greg

Ebay will tell you it is for your security - they randomly require you
to sign in, just to make sure that you haven't been replaced at your
computer by some unscrupulous person seeking to use your ebay account
for their evil purposes.

I get around this problem by entering the max I am willing to pay
(allowing for postage etc.) - if I win, I win, if I don't, then someone
else wanted it more than me.

This has the obvious problem of some unscrupulous seller using another
ebay ID to keep upping the bid - never-the-less, I never pay more than I
originally intended.

No - I don't use snipe programs. For the same reason - I always enter my
max bid (well, nearly always - but I always have a max bid decided
before I bid), so there is little need of a snipe program.

That's my $1 worth (inflation, and devaluation of the Oz dollar has
rendered 10c worth so minimal as to be pointless).

Greg