Q: Translation from Hungarian, please

Old April 19th 12, 04:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Translation from Hungarian, please

"Terry Reedy" wrote in message
On 4/18/2012 11:22 AM, Pedro wrote:

the Oh so grandious and perfect philatelist Victor Manta could also be
smart enough to use google translate for so sparse words.

How do you know he did not?

The author of "Oh..." doesn't know.

I tried it and the result was not very clear.

UTANPOTLÁSUNK A JÖVÖ HARCAIHOZ error
SZABAD HAZÁBAN BOLDOG IFJUSÁG corrected
YOUTH ACCESS THE FUTURE Struggle
FREE HAPPY YOUTH HAZAN

Please explain 'hazan' in this context and the meaning of the
'translation' in real English.

Obviously, we got the same results and we had then the same questions :-)

Somewhat senseless slogans do not mechanically translate very well.
For instance, Google translates the grammatical but silly slogan
Hot rocker Pedro rocks
to the supposed Hungarian
Hot rocker Pedro sziklák
Real helpful to a Hungarian who does not know English ;-)

A good example, many thanks. The translation of the same into French gives:
Hot bascule roches Pedro. Pierre and Blaire, among others, will surely
appreciate.

For those who are aware of the basic ideas that stand behind Google
Translate, it can be useful (for example by eliminating some typing) but, as
the French maliciously say, * consommer avec modération (consume in
moderation - translated by Google).

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old April 19th 12, 08:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 4/18/2012 6:01 PM, gogu wrote:

Terry, I have translated both phrases but in romanian, here it is a
translation in English:
First:
Utanpotlaunk a jovo harcaihoz=
Replacements (in the context of "renew") for the fights/struggles to come
(or "the fights/struggles of the future").
Second:
szabad hazaban boldog ifjusag=
In a free country, a happy youth.

Thank you. That at least makes sense, even if seen as false in context.

I cannot help but wonder if the original caption was not exactly an
error, but that someone with more sense than the original author decided
that promoting youth as replacement cannot fodder was not really good
propaganda.
Old April 19th 12, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 4/19/2012 11:26 AM, Victor Manta wrote:

Somewhat senseless slogans do not mechanically translate very well.
For instance, Google translates the grammatical but silly slogan
Hot rocker Pedro rocks
to the supposed Hungarian
Hot rocker Pedro sziklák
Real helpful to a Hungarian who does not know English ;-)

Newpaper headlines also get squeezed to fit in limited space.

A good example, many thanks. The translation of the same into French
gives: Hot bascule roches Pedro. Pierre and Blaire, among others, will
surely appreciate.

For those who are aware of the basic ideas that stand behind Google
Translate, it can be useful (for example by eliminating some typing)
but, as the French maliciously say, * consommer avec modération (consume
in moderation - translated by Google).

Translate works pretty well for single words; look up the most common
equivalent. It also, in my experience with Spanish to English,
translates idiomatic phrases and literate sentences pretty well. I
believe it uses statistics even more than 'ai understanding', with an
important part of the training set being dual language (human
translated) documents composed of more or less formally correct sentences.

tjr

Old April 19th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

This man really has a real problem

Off-topic claim.

tjr

If you were one of the stamp collectors who begins in this newsgroup talking
about your philatelic webpage to which most people here provide constructive
comments to improve it and only one person provided me comments as if it
were a complete crap, you would understand what I'm saying. I think nobody
likes to be crushed when starting a new activity by such a type of persons.
He does not like very much new members (IMO).

best wishes,
Pedro

Old April 20th 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Knight

In , on 04/20/2012
at 12:07 AM, "Pedro" said:

He does not like very much new members (IMO).

I'm not a "new member" in any sense, but it seems old Victor doesn't like
when people stick up for the new guy he's trying to berate. I'd have to
guess he's a very old cranky fool. Well, the "very old" part is the only
guess. He may actuallty be a very young cranky fool. "Clinging" to
something, but I don't think it has much at all to do with the newsgroup.

Sorry. [META][RCSD][BS][VOCF] ...

Nick

Old April 20th 12, 04:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Pedro" wrote in message

This man really has a real problem [Pedro]

Off-topic claim.

tjr

If you were one of the stamp collectors who begins in this newsgroup
talking about your philatelic webpage to which most people here provide
constructive comments to improve it and only one person provided me
comments as if it were a complete crap, you would understand what I'm
saying. I think nobody likes to be crushed when starting a new activity by
such a type of persons. He does not like very much new members (IMO).

Because you continue to press the issue, let's remember your original, ad
hominem - loaded and insolent contribution to this thread:

"the Oh so grandious and perfect philatelist Victor Manta could also be
smart
enough to use google translate for so sparse words. This man really has a
real problem
Pedro"

Your sudden conversion from a smart advisor (and even doctor!) to an
offended and helpless newbie victim could be psychologically interesting but
it doesn't advance the philatelic knowledge of this ng.

If you were so badly hurt in the past then you had to complain at that time,
instead of beating now around the bush with trivial advice (sprinkled with
cheap ironies), in no way related to the alleged bad experience which still
grinds you.

Anyway, good luck in any of roles that make you feel happier. So much for
your "real problem" diagnosis.

--
Victor Manta

Old April 20th 12, 03:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_9_]

"Nick Knight"
In , on 04/20/2012
at 12:07 AM, "Pedro" said:

He does not like very much new members (IMO).

I'm not a "new member" in any sense, but it seems old Victor doesn't like
when people stick up for the new guy he's trying to berate.

That's exactly his problem!
As he's quite old he has nothing left in life but posing as the ultimate
authority (even if he is one, a decent person would not advertise it, he
would leave others to do that...) in stamps' matters.
He also thinks of himself as the ng owner and the ng/internet police.
He wants to control the subjects to be discussed here, also control the
answers of the posters.
In a few words in his little, virtual world he sees himself as...G-d!
Good luck with that.
Anyway, can we go back and discuss stamps?
My opinion is that the man is ill educated and not worth, and I stand by it.
But my opinion or the opinion of others is irrelevant here, we are here to
talk stamps so I'd prefer to read and learn more about stamps but attending
quarrels where this "gentleman" is implicated and fuels them all the time.

So...!
A few days ago I received my first butch of Vatican stamps and I'm delighted
with the quality of them!
Of course I understand they are not going to be any.rarities in the future
but as in any other hobby I believe our first aim is to please our eyes with
what we collect;-)
Now I'm doing a research how to best store my stamps and I see that the
various companies which produce "masks" cannot cover all sizes stamps are
made! Are the "strip" masks a solution to this problem (buy the right H for
the stamp and then cut them, in the horizontal direction)? I have for
example a 48x31mm stamp and there is no mask for this size. Or a couple of
98x134mm foglios.

tnx

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old April 20th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_9_]

"Nick Knight"
In , on 04/20/2012
at 12:07 AM, "Pedro" said:

[...]

quarrels where this "gentleman" is implicated and constantly fuels them all

Old April 20th 12, 06:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

"gogu" wrote in message ...

"Nick Knight"
In , on 04/20/2012
at 12:07 AM, "Pedro" said:

[...]

I usually cut stripes horizontally or a bigger mount in both directions to
fit the stamp dimensions

regards,
Pedro

Old April 20th 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_9_]

? "Pedro" ?????? ??? ??????
"gogu" wrote in message ...
Now I'm doing a research how to best store my stamps and I see that the
various companies which produce "masks" cannot cover all sizes stamps are
made! Are the "strip" masks a solution to this problem (buy the right H
for
the stamp and then cut them, in the horizontal direction)? I have for
example a 48x31mm stamp and there is no mask for this size. Or a couple
of
98x134mm foglios.

tnx

I usually cut stripes horizontally or a bigger mount in both directions to
fit the stamp dimensions

Well, I figured it this way:
since I think I'll opt for black masks open in 3 directions, I believe that
I should buy a strip with the right height (so the bottom is the "closed"
side) for the "unusual" stamp and then cut the strip as long as it needs in
order to host correctly the horizontal dimension of the stamp.
Question: when the pre-cut masks say for example "35x35mm" and my stamp has
the exact same dimensions, are the real dimensions of the mask a little
larger (let's say 35,4x35,4mm) in order to protect the edges of the
stamp?...

tnx