LBJ Coin & Chronicles Set

Old October 27th 15, 05:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Old Usenet User

Default LBJ Coin & Chronicles Set

Got my order in and only had to reload the page once!
Old October 27th 15, 06:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article ,
Old Usenet User wrote:

Got my order in and only had to reload the page once!

Ditto ... in and out in nine minutes (slow Internet connection
at home ...). About three minutes of that was walking to/from
the bedroom to get the security code for my credit card, which
I thought they stored, but apparently they don't.

At least I remembered to check the "I accept these terms ..."
box before clicking the "Confirm Order" button this time!!
Maybe by the time the Reagan set comes out next year I'll
remember to have the CC handy ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics Â* Â* Â* Â*email:
P. O. Box 32541 Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* website: Â*http://www.kenbarr.com
Old October 28th 15, 09:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Reportedly sold out at 3:57 PM Eastern time, so the 25,000 sets
were sold within four hours.

Seems odd that it took that long given the less-than-a-half-hour
sellouts of the Truman/Eisenhower sets with a mintage only
slightly lower at 17,000 ...

Oh, well, at least it looks like I'll be able to make a profit
on these sets, but only expect to break even or lose a little
bit on the Kennedy sets ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old October 29th 15, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Old Usenet User

On 10/28/2015 4:15 AM, Ken Barr wrote:
Reportedly sold out at 3:57 PM Eastern time, so the 25,000 sets
were sold within four hours.

Seems odd that it took that long given the less-than-a-half-hour
sellouts of the Truman/Eisenhower sets with a mintage only
slightly lower at 17,000 ...

Oh, well, at least it looks like I'll be able to make a profit
on these sets, but only expect to break even or lose a little
bit on the Kennedy sets ...

Mint informed me my sets were shipped today.

Old October 30th 15, 05:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 1:04:05 PM UTC-4, Ken Barr wrote:
In article ,
Old Usenet User wrote:

Got my order in and only had to reload the page once!

Ditto ... in and out in nine minutes (slow Internet connection
at home ...). About three minutes of that was walking to/from
the bedroom to get the security code for my credit card, which
I thought they stored, but apparently they don't.

At least I remembered to check the "I accept these terms ..."
box before clicking the "Confirm Order" button this time!!
Maybe by the time the Reagan set comes out next year I'll
remember to have the CC handy ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
San Jose, CA *95152 * * Coins, currency, exonumia, souvenir cards, etc.
408-272-3247 * NEXT SHOW: Livermore Valley Coin Club 09/13

Ken, did something change with the Presidential Dollars Program? Back in the day we read that the program would stop with the last deceased President before the first still living President. That would be Ford since Carter is still alive.

Jerry
Old October 31st 15, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article ,
Jerry Dennis wrote:

[snip]
Ken, did something change with the Presidential Dollars Program? Back in the
day we read that the program would stop with the last deceased President
before the first still living President. That would be Ford since Carter is
still alive.

According to the Mint website, the 2016 Prezibux will be:

# 2016
# 37 Richard M. Nixon 1969-1974
# 38 Gerald Ford 1974-1977
# 40 Ronald Reagan 1981-1989

IIRC, the original legislation indicated that the series stopped [or was
temporarily suspended, I ferget which] when they ran up to a living or
less-than-two-years deceased president. But in 2015 the Mint apparently
"reinterpreted" the legislation so that Reagan could be honored in 2016,
skipping over Carter entirely, or relegating him to a future year.

Reagan is the only one currently planned to have a Reverse Proof dollar
in a 2016 "Coin and Chronicles" set ... I don't know why Tricky Dick and
Oopsie Gerry are not being so honored ...

Old October 31st 15, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A. Bolmarcich

On 2015-10-31, Ken Barr wrote:
IIRC, the original legislation indicated that the series stopped [or was
temporarily suspended, I ferget which] when they ran up to a living or
less-than-two-years deceased president. But in 2015 the Mint apparently
"reinterpreted" the legislation so that Reagan could be honored in 2016,
skipping over Carter entirely, or relegating him to a future year.

The law specified: "The issuance of coins under this subsection shall
terminate when each President has been so honored, subject to paragraph
(2)(E), and may not be resumed except by an Act of Congress."

Paragraph (2)(E) is: "No coin issued under this subsection may bear the
image of a living former or current President, or of any deceased former
President during the 2-year period following the date of the death of
that President."

The interpretation that the program would stop with the *first*
President for whom a coin would not be issued due to paragraph (2)(E)
was simply wrong. Nixon, Ford, Carter, and Reagan are in line to have
coins issued in 2016. A coin will not be issued for Carter due to the
restriction to deceased Presidents.