Removing Ink from Glossy 8x10?

Old September 13th 03, 01:37 AM
EvilN8

Default Removing Ink from Glossy 8x10?

I have a signed photo of voice actor Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart
Simpson) that I would like to give to my friend as part of his Christmas
present this year since he's a huge simpsons fan. Nancy inscribed the
photograph "YO NATHAN!" so I don't want to give it to him like that. Is
there a chemical that can remove permantent ink off a glossy without
damaging it? The photo was signed with a green sharpie. Thanks- n8

Old September 13th 03, 04:45 AM
Glenn \(SBfan2000\)

ok, admitable I'm not a photo professional but it would seem to me that it
is not possible, at least on a budget! The CIA might be able to do it but I
imagine it is a VERY expensive process!

Old September 13th 03, 06:50 AM
GraphRackr

Is
there a chemical that can remove permantent ink off a glossy without
damaging it?

There are many things you can do, BUT you have to be super careful and there is
always a chance you may damage the photo. It also depends on how long the
personalization has been on the photo. Sometimes after awhile, the ink gets
embedded and bleeds into the photo.

1. Magic Rub eraser. The soft, white, gummy eraser. Erase away.

2. Expo Dry Erase Marker. The overhead projector markers. Just write over
the part you want to erase, and wipe it off. You may have to do this a few
times to get it off completely.

3. Acetone. You can buy this at any beauty supply shop. It MUST BE PURE
ACETONE, with no water added. Put a dab on a q-tip, and wipe off.
Old September 13th 03, 09:45 AM
EvilN8

Ok, tested the Dry Erase Marker thing on several autographs. On several..
it was almost like magic watching it erase signatures.. on others.. it
destroyed the photo. I am going to go buy some acetone tommorrow and test
this out on the ones I've already ****ed up. Thanks a lot for these tips..
the Nancy Cartwright photo looks great now! - n8

Old September 13th 03, 02:57 PM

Why even mess with trying to fix it? Just write her and have her send
you one inscribed to your friend. You have until Christmas and she's a
great TTM signer.

Old September 13th 03, 05:41 PM
Barefootmk

really? she's horrible in person. i mean horrible.
Old September 15th 03, 04:25 PM
Djbleka

why would you want to get rid of that. Thats how she sign's everyone's picture,
I don't know about you but I have two like that and it means alot that she
would personalize it to me and she also sent one like that to my son. Well good
luck but if you take it off you might regret it after.
Old September 15th 03, 04:36 PM
CalRima

There are many methods of removing ink from a photo. PEC 12, Pental Clic
Erasers, Lighter fluid.

HOWEVER, I have seen many photos also destroyed useing these methods.

I personally leave the inscription on and don't alter the signature.

just my opinion,
'Den
Old September 15th 03, 07:53 PM
New News

I have used plain rubbing alcohol to remove writing from a real photograph,
don't try this on a computer generated picture or it will screw it up.

Take care,
Mark

Old September 15th 03, 09:11 PM
EvilN8

I think I made it pretty clear why I wanted it taken off.. I don't intend on
keeping the autograph for myself. The Dry Erase Marker worked like a
charm. - n8