Storage of Autographs/My collection and some tips to save grief

Old February 5th 04, 02:54 PM
dahoov2

Default Storage of Autographs/My collection and some tips to save grief

Hi all, someone asked me how I categorized my autographs and before I
tell you all, let me say I am posting this because maybe it'll save
you time and grief like it did me.

Originally, I started with a large Winnie the Pooh Binder
I spent a lot of time finding. I wanted a folder to be 8.5x11.5 plus
slightly larger so nothing stuck out. I spent a lot on it and a crazy
amount of time finding "the perfect one"
but after a week or two, I quickly realized I could not use it for
autographs because of the amount I'd have. So I went to office max and
bought about 10 - 1½" green folders (hunter green to match my room)
and some gold letters to stick on. I started to categorize them. I
still have those, but now, I've started replacing them with 2-2 ½ in
binders that are identical. I may have to replace those soon as they
are getting too large. So my advice is to think ahead about the
collection. How large are you going? Do you want to focus on TV,
Film, Male stars, and specific movies or is everything general? Do
you want them readily accessible for trading, showing people? Or is
this something you plan to look at just like once a year or every few
years? Lastly, how important is it that if the items are out, that
they look nice?

You need to store them no matter what, in plastic Avery acid free
sheets. So do that now or they'll fade, yellow and bend.

My friend stores them in shoeboxes in his basement. As long as the
basement is dry, no problem. I have 17 green Binders and that'll
expand to 20 most likely. I have 3 large white binders and one large
binder (that Winnie the Pooh one) that holds all my plastic sheets. I
categorize them by the amounts I collect: All the Star Wars
autographs are in Green Binders with Gold letters.

Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Crew
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Episode III
Artists
Authors
Radio Dramas
Spaceballs
Video Games
Documentaries
Celebration II/Disney
Fan Films/can't classify (this is just about 4 or 5 autographs like
Weird Al, who did a Star Wars son and Shannon Baksa whose a book
character come to life)
Ewok Movies
Holiday Special/all Star Wars Cartoons (I plan to separate these at
some point so each has it's own binder)

The Three White Binders a
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
General Celebrity Autographs

I would like to make another white Binder if I can find the room (I am
out of space) of Pirates of the Caribbean/Scooby Doo/Santa Clause 2
Autographs.

So think because if you ever collect a LOT of stuff, you'll find it
hard to rearrange. It took me two months when I converted over to all
the separate binders! Part of that was identifying stuff I couldn't
read. So write on the back in pencil at the bottom, the name of the
person you got. You CAN forget even if you think you won't.
Save yourself time and oh, make sure whatever Binders you get, do NOT
get something trendy like Anime or some Winnie the pooh It'll be hard
later to match that if matching is your thing!

That's long, but I hope helpful.

Sue

Old February 5th 04, 03:02 PM
Autographs R Us

dahoov2 wrote:

[...]

Um. Whatever. You really like hearing yourself speak (or reading your
own posts) don't you?
Old February 5th 04, 03:04 PM
dahoov2

And you are your usual self like always. I thought someone might
appreciate the help so they don't spend extra time and money... I
copied the email I wrote to the person that emailed me.... I could
have just not answered each, but being helpful is my nature. Not like
your sarcastic ass.

Old February 5th 04, 06:58 PM
Barb

Sue,
I for one appreciate all the advice and help I have gotten from you and
the regulars on this board. I am relatively new to collecting(since June
2003-and a few misc items I had gotten over the years at Star Trek and
Blake's 7 conventions)and am still learning. Thank you!!!
Barb

Old February 5th 04, 09:03 PM
dahoov2

Thanks Barb,

The poster has a personal issue with me. He's posted that several
times. I will try to ignore.

Old February 5th 04, 10:26 PM
Gummby3

Someone else trying to start an argument. I think that Sue was very
generous in providing the information. This question has been brought up
before, so it will be again. She was just helping out the new people that
may have joined in. Unlike you, evidently, the majority of the collectors
were not born with the immediate knowledge of the hobby.

As for liking to hear someone speak or post, take a look at yourself. Go
back to Troll Land.

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net
Autograph Authentication Guide
www.star-collector.net/authenticationguide.htm

"Autographs R Us" autographsR@us. wrote in message
dahoov2 wrote:

Um. Whatever. You really like hearing yourself speak (or reading your
own posts) don't you?

Hi all, someone asked me how I categorized my autographs and before I
tell you all, let me say I am posting this because maybe it'll save
you time and grief like it did me.

---

Old February 7th 04, 05:25 PM
Bcoton

There is always one...I for one have learned a lot from this board and Sue in
particular. In fact, I'd like to meet the one person who knows everything about
collecting!

I got the idea of binders, not albums from this board. To decorate, I printed
a photo montage of my favorite celebs and used it for the front/back/spine
cover. It looks much nicer than expected. I also mount my index cards with
photographs. I use a post-it on the back to categorize unless the name is
printed on the photograph. I also keep detailed computer records.