They deserve a stamp

Old October 18th 03, 06:33 PM
Tracy Barber

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:21:20 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

Fully agree!

BTW, the name of the language is COBOL, from COmon Business Oriented
Language.

I know it because my wife has programmed in this language during 30 years.

And difficult to forget, once you do know it! :^) COBOL's cool...

Tracy Barber
Old October 18th 03, 07:52 PM
Frank Emanuel

"TC" wrote in message
Those "dunes", that you see in Bhutan, are called
the Himalayas. 8*P

Hokey toot! I never gave pause to where Bhutan was, I just associated their
stamps with Dunes as they always (the ones I have run across) seemed to look
like Dune country's stamps. Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Frank

Old October 18th 03, 10:21 PM
Ada Prill

Redonda has a population of zero, which doesn't inhibit their stamp-issuing
a bit, especially if they can get some nutty American millionaire to pay for
the privilege of making them even more money in stamp sales.

"TC" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:14:59 -0400, "John O'Brien"
wrote:

John Dupont ,presumed owner of the one cent magenta British Guiana of

1856,
who is now serving a life sentence in Pennsylvania for murder, once paid
some island "nation" (Grenada, I think, but don't quote me) to honor

himself
for introducing the triathelon to America, or some such thing.
IMO,I think these countries would continue their wallpaper-issuing
practices, even if the US relaxed the rules on honoring its own notables.

(from Linn's Stamp News...)

British Guiana was a colonial outpost of the British empire on the
northeast coast of South America. You will see lots of zeroes to the
left of the decimal points in the catalog values of many of its early
stamps issued in the 1850s through the 1870s. No value, however, is
listed for British Guiana Scott 13, shown in Figure 3, the Penny
Magenta.

So far there is but one example of this 1856 1¢ stamp, printed in
black ink on magenta-colored paper. This stamp is not likely to be
coming on the market anytime soon, and putting a value on it probably
seemed like a pointless exercise for the Scott catalog editors. The
rarity was locally produced when postage stamps failed to arrive from
London. The local printer produced crude-looking stamps to fill the
breach, among them the 1¢ black on magenta paper.

Twelve-year-old L. Vernon Vaughan, a resident of the colony, found the
only known stamp in 1873 among some old family correspondence. He soon
sold it locally for the equivalent of about $1.50, which he used to
buy stamps for his collection that looked better than this somewhat
bedraggled, heavily canceled, scuffed and clipped stamp. Within a few
years, the stamp was in the collection of famed collector Count
Philippe Ferrari, who also once owned the Swedish 3SB error of color
stamp.

From Ferrari the Penny Magenta went to eccentric millionaire Arthur
Hind in the United States for $30,000. Hind's widow sold it in 1940
for an undisclosed price, but possibly as much as $75,000, to Edward
Small, an Australian living in Florida. That sum was eclipsed within
90 seconds of the stamp's next appearance on the market in a 1970
Robert A. Siegel auction in New York City.

Bidding for a syndicate of investors, Irwin Weinberg, a dealer in
Wilkes-Barre, Pa., won the stamp for $280,000. The British Guiana 1¢
black-on-magenta-paper stamp and Weinberg subsequently toured the
international stamp world, but the syndicate returned the stamp to the
Siegel auction block in 1980.

The successful bidder was John DuPont, yet another eccentric American
millionaire. He paid $935,000 for the stamp and reportedly often slept
with it under his pillow. DuPont now sleeps in a state prison, where
he is serving up to 30 years after being found guilty but mentally ill
in 1997 for the murder of a wrestling coach. The stamp is said to
slumber in a vault in Philadelphia.

http://www.sammler.com/images2/british_guiana.jpg

In 2000, a stamp purported to be an 1856 British Guiana 1¢ black on
magenta paper was exposed by the experts of the Royal Philatelic
Society of London as being an altered 4¢ stamp from the same issue.

John Dupont.....

An Antigua-Redonda - 1987 - Capex $5 m/sheet (unissued)
showed Triathlete John duPont Running, Swimming & Cycling .
It was imperf from Format Security Printers
Various Proofs are known.

(I believe he paid them $10000 for the honour)

Blair

Old October 18th 03, 11:28 PM
Tracy Barber

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:52:27 -0400, "Frank Emanuel"
wrote:

"TC" wrote in message
.. .
Those "dunes", that you see in Bhutan, are called
the Himalayas. 8*P

Hokey toot! I never gave pause to where Bhutan was, I just associated their
stamps with Dunes as they always (the ones I have run across) seemed to look
like Dune country's stamps. Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Did you ever stop and look at the stamps - and the people on those
stamps? Um, they look a LOT different! :^P

Tracy Barber
Old October 19th 03, 01:45 AM
TC

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:52:27 -0400, "Frank Emanuel"
wrote:

"TC" wrote in message
.. .
Those "dunes", that you see in Bhutan, are called
the Himalayas. 8*P

Hokey toot! I never gave pause to where Bhutan was, I just associated their
stamps with Dunes as they always (the ones I have run across) seemed to look
like Dune country's stamps. Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Frank

Not only did I have a colleague who spent some time in Bhutan,
but I have postally transmitted registered covers from that country.

By the way, their PO accepted all of those 'fancy' stamps for postage.

http://www.mayoph.com/images2/00d474.jpg
http://www.judnick.com/images/Cover_...ered_small.jpg

Blair

Old October 19th 03, 02:04 AM
Dave Kent

If I recall correctly, some of those fancy topical stamps from Bhutan surfaced
a while ago postally used on mail to the India department of education. Since
Bhutan did not belong to the UPU, India was the only country they could send
mail to. Topical collectors were snapping them up at $50.00 a throw and more.
Legitimate postal use like that made the covers suitable for a serious topical
exhibit.
Old October 19th 03, 02:54 AM
TC

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:05:18 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

The she I speak of is the computer genius Grace Hopper, inventor of
Cobal computer language, coined the term "bug" and served as an admiral in
the US Navy. She meets the 10 year requirement (she died in 1991).
I also met this lady, had the chance to talk with her and remember it
fondly. It would be kind of cool to see someone I actually have met on a
stamp.
Dave

Dave:

I agree. I met then Rear-Admiral Hopper (USNR) on three occasions.
She was a truly amazing person.

Have you contacted the USPS with the suggestion?
2006 will be her centenary.

Her Bio page (Vassar).
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/history/hopper/hopper.html

Possible designs?
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/i/tek1/...6919k_full.jpg
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/i/tek1/...96923_full.jpg

Blair

Old October 19th 03, 04:42 AM
Frank Emanuel

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message

Did you ever stop and look at the stamps - and the people on those
stamps? Um, they look a LOT different! :^P

Big stamps usually CTO, didn't pay them much attention.

Frank

Old October 19th 03, 04:44 AM
Frank Emanuel

"TC" wrote in message
Not only did I have a colleague who spent some time in Bhutan,
but I have postally transmitted registered covers from that country.

By the way, their PO accepted all of those 'fancy' stamps for postage.

http://www.mayoph.com/images2/00d474.jpg

Sanskrit on the cover - I should have noticed that. That is a handsome cover
too! I guess I just didn't pay enough attention. I stand corrected all.

Frank