GB FDC Query

Old September 25th 03, 02:26 PM
Neil

Default GB FDC Query

Hi all

I have numerous Great Britain Post Office First Day Covers dating from 1968
to 1993. Post 1976 they have no addressee on, prior to that they have both
handwritten and typed address information on. They are in excellent
condition. Does anyone know what sort of value they are worth?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil

Old September 25th 03, 08:19 PM
John Ray

Neil wrote:

Hi all

I have numerous Great Britain Post Office First Day Covers dating from 1968
to 1993. Post 1976 they have no addressee on, prior to that they have both
handwritten and typed address information on. They are in excellent
condition. Does anyone know what sort of value they are worth?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil

I hate to tell you this, but my local stamp dealer jokes about selling
them by weight.

--
John Ray, London UK.

Mail to mefp49 is unlikely to be read. I can be contacted at xcf70 (same
ISP).
Old September 25th 03, 08:55 PM
Eric Bustad

John Ray wrote:
Neil wrote:

Hi all

I have numerous Great Britain Post Office First Day Covers dating from 1968
to 1993. Post 1976 they have no addressee on, prior to that they have both
handwritten and typed address information on. They are in excellent
condition. Does anyone know what sort of value they are worth?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil

I hate to tell you this, but my local stamp dealer jokes about selling
them by weight.

So, does he charge a Pound for a pound?

= Eric

Old September 25th 03, 10:55 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: Eric Bustad
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:55:29 -0700
Subject: GB FDC Query

John Ray wrote:
Neil wrote:

Hi all

I have numerous Great Britain Post Office First Day Covers dating from 1968
to 1993. Post 1976 they have no addressee on, prior to that they have both
handwritten and typed address information on. They are in excellent
condition. Does anyone know what sort of value they are worth?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil

I hate to tell you this, but my local stamp dealer jokes about selling
them by weight.

So, does he charge a Pound for a pound?

Weeda Stamps here in Vancouver currently has a large box filled with
Canadian first day covers; the price of each is equivalent to the face value
of the franking. One member of this newsgroup has told me that the best
price he can get for several thousand UN covers is US$ .05 each. I suppose
one could use them for toilet paper.... :^)

Bob

Old September 25th 03, 11:06 PM
Bob Harper

A dealer at STAMPEX in London last week was selling these at 50 pence each
for the earlier ones rising to 2 pounds each for some more recent ones.
There were also numbers of strips of the stamps cut from the FDC's which
were even cheaper.
Bob

Old September 26th 03, 04:08 AM
Frank Emanuel

"Bob Harper" wrote in message
A dealer at STAMPEX in London last week was selling these at 50 pence each
for the earlier ones rising to 2 pounds each for some more recent ones.
There were also numbers of strips of the stamps cut from the FDC's which
were even cheaper.

I would suggest taking a picture and selling them on ebay. I have sold some
similar covers on ebay for enough to make it worthwhile - they went to a
chap in England believe it or not. Some people who collect used stamps will
get them to soak the stamps off as they often have a nice cancellation (even
better if the date is visible). Sell them as a lot you will not get a lot
for them, but you should get something.

Frank

Old September 26th 03, 07:11 AM
Neil

"Neil" wrote in message
Hi all

I have numerous Great Britain Post Office First Day Covers dating from

1968
to 1993. Post 1976 they have no addressee on, prior to that they have both
handwritten and typed address information on. They are in excellent
condition. Does anyone know what sort of value they are worth?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil

Thanks all for the advice.

Looks like I'm not rich yet then vbg

Cheers

Neil

Old September 26th 03, 11:46 AM
Brian Ridout

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:26:09 +0100, "Neil" wrote:

Hi all

I have numerous Great Britain Post Office First Day Covers dating from 1968
to 1993. Post 1976 they have no addressee on, prior to that they have both
handwritten and typed address information on. They are in excellent
condition. Does anyone know what sort of value they are worth?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil

It all depends on the postmark - Special cancels can be worth having eg -
1970 Literary Anniversaries - Ambleside cds cancel - Cat £ 150.00 , your local Post office cancel - Cat £1.00
1972 Broadcasting Anniv. - BBC Pebble Mill Birmingham cancel - Cat £400.00 - your local PO - Cat. £4.00

Apart from special cancels , GB FDC's are worth about the same as a good used set of the stamps.

Brian

Old September 26th 03, 12:54 PM
Neil

"Brian Ridout" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:26:09 +0100, "Neil" wrote:

It all depends on the postmark - Special cancels can be worth

having eg -
1970 Literary Anniversaries - Ambleside cds cancel - Cat £ 150.00

, your local Post office cancel - Cat £1.00
1972 Broadcasting Anniv. - BBC Pebble Mill Birmingham cancel -

Cat £400.00 - your local PO - Cat. £4.00

Apart from special cancels , GB FDC's are worth about the same as a

good used set of the stamps.

Brian

Is there a book or catalogue out there that lists all the fdc's with their
value ?

Neil