Condition rarity vs numeric rarity

Old March 8th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

Default Condition rarity vs numeric rarity

mazorj wrote:
oly wrote:

IF the future belongs to China, I don't see how they are going to
especially want "Western" trophies (especially the minor post-1945
American-style bull****tae

Oly, you have such a way with words! Love it!

James le Néologiste

But which declension? Should it be bull****us, bull****ti?

As to Chinese millionaires wanting minor American cow flops, that's
why I included the word "fad". If population rarity is a fad here,
and given how much of American culture is adopted overseas, I see no
reason why it couldn't happen among Far East nouveau rich too. It's
amazing what goofy things can become status symbols for those who
suddenly find themselves with more money than brains.

Tulip bulbs come to mind.

And in a lesser vein, Beanie Babies. I have boxes of little furries that
the wife and kids went gaga over. For a brief giddy moment they had
appreciated to the point where they would have fetched a pretty 1909-S VDB
Lincoln penny. Now you can buy 'em by the bag on Craig's List.

I'd put oly's word in the same category as nauta and agricola, just as he
did - masculine nouns which take the feminine set of endings.

James the Grammarian

Grrr... you've thrown down the gauntlet, Jacobus. I challenge you to
mano-a-mano with quill pens at one cubitus. The winner being the first to
tattoo a silhouette of Julius Caesar on the other.

I claim first jab because your 1st Declension feminine won't fly. Taurus
(bull) is 3rd declension masculine, fimus (dung) is 2nd Declension
masculine. The plural of either is ~i not ~ae.

- mazorj the Gladiator

Old March 8th 10, 09:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

mazorj wrote:
mazorj wrote:
oly wrote:

[...]

Only minimally true, Olive Oil-Breath.

First declension nouns end in -a in the singular nominative and -ae in the
plural nominative. With few exceptions they are feminine in gender.
Adjectives must agree with them in gender, number, and case. Thus puella
exigua, puellae exiguae, but agricola exiguus, agricolae exigui.

Second declension nouns are all masculine and end in unaccented -us in the
singular nominative and -i in the plural nominative. Thus taurus, tauri;
fimus, fimi (you got that much right).

Third declension comprises those nouns which have various forms in the
singular nominative and usually a different stem in the genitive and other
forms. They can be masculine, feminine, or neuter. Thus genus, generes
(m.), religio, religiones (f.) and datum, data (n.).

Fourth declension nouns end in unaccented -us in the singular nominative and
accented -us in the plural nominative. Most are masculine. Thus hiatus,
hiatús (sorry, I can't make a plain horizontal diacritical accent here).

Fifth declension nouns are all feminine and end in -es in the singular
nominative and -es in the plural nominative. Thus dies, dies.

Iacobus Bellicosus Victorque

Old March 8th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

mazorj wrote:
mazorj wrote:
oly wrote:

[...]

Where I come from (grandparents from Naples), them's flattering words.

First declension nouns end in -a in the singular nominative and -ae in the
plural nominative. With few exceptions they are feminine in gender.
Adjectives must agree with them in gender, number, and case. Thus puella
exigua, puellae exiguae, but agricola exiguus, agricolae exigui.

The word in question - bull**** - is a conflation of an adjective and a
noun. The noun portion - fimus - would govern the ending which should be
bull****ti for the nominative plural. Or if you insist on adjective-noun
agreement, bulli****ti.

Second declension nouns are all masculine and end in unaccented -us in the
singular nominative and -i in the plural nominative. Thus taurus, tauri;
fimus, fimi (you got that much right).

Third declension comprises those nouns which have various forms in the
singular nominative and usually a different stem in the genitive and other
forms. They can be masculine, feminine, or neuter. Thus genus, generes
(m.), religio, religiones (f.) and datum, data (n.).

Taurus is not a class of words, it is a specific word, and in Latin it is a
masculine noun whose nominative plural ends in i. Likewise for fimus. So
neither can be 1st Declension, which as you got right, carries the ae plural
but cannot be masculine except for rare exceptions, which I doubt these are.

I don't want to be an ae-hole about it, but "i" is right here.

Old 4th-year Latin joke: What's Latin for "He knows of the little gold
charm"? Bulla sciit.

Fourth declension nouns end in unaccented -us in the singular nominative
and accented -us in the plural nominative. Most are masculine. Thus
hiatus, hiatús (sorry, I can't make a plain horizontal diacritical accent
here).

That's okay, neither did the Romans.

Fifth declension nouns are all feminine and end in -es in the singular
nominative and -es in the plural nominative. Thus dies, dies.

Iacobus Bellicosus Victorque

- mazorj Napolitano
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Old March 8th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

mazorj wrote:
mazorj wrote:
mazorj wrote:
oly wrote:

[...]

In English, the word in question is a conflation of two nouns, "bull" acting
as an adjective, but still a noun. The Teutonic influence upon English is
evident here (cf. Stierscheisse). In Latin it would have to be rendered as
a noun/genitive construction, fimus tauri (singular fimus, singular bull),
fimi tauri (plural fimus, singular bull), or fimi taurorum (more than one
fimus, more than one bull).

And yes, I *do* insist on adjective-noun agreement. I didn't let my
students get away with anything.

Second declension nouns are all masculine and end in unaccented -us
in the singular nominative and -i in the plural nominative. Thus
taurus, tauri; fimus, fimi (you got that much right).

Third declension comprises those nouns which have various forms in
the singular nominative and usually a different stem in the genitive
and other forms. They can be masculine, feminine, or neuter. Thus
genus, generes (m.), religio, religiones (f.) and datum, data (n.).

Taurus is not a class of words, it is a specific word, and in Latin
it is a masculine noun whose nominative plural ends in i. Likewise
for fimus. So neither can be 1st Declension, which as you got right,
carries the ae plural but cannot be masculine except for rare
exceptions, which I doubt these are.

Huh? Both are 2nd declension.

I don't want to be an ae-hole about it, but "i" is right here.

Old 4th-year Latin joke: What's Latin for "He knows of the little
gold charm"? Bulla sciit.

Boola boola.

Fourth declension nouns end in unaccented -us in the singular
nominative and accented -us in the plural nominative. Most are
masculine. Thus hiatus, hiatús (sorry, I can't make a plain
horizontal diacritical accent here).

That's okay, neither did the Romans.

Fifth declension nouns are all feminine and end in -es in the
singular nominative and -es in the plural nominative. Thus dies,
dies. Iacobus Bellicosus Victorque

- mazorj Napolitano
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Non vi virtute vici (to hold the off-topic critics at bay, that's the motto
on an extremely rare early copper coin of New York).

James the Medieval Scrivener

Old March 9th 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"mazorj" wrote in message
As to Chinese millionaires wanting minor American cow flops, that's why I
included the word "fad". If population rarity is a fad here, and given how
much of American culture is adopted overseas, I see no reason why it couldn't
happen among Far East nouveau rich too. It's amazing what goofy things can
become status symbols for those who suddenly find themselves with more money
than brains.

Condition rarity is even worse in the Canadian coin market where a small but
respected grading company (ICCS) issues population reports and modern late date
MS66 cents sell for $100 because of their alleged "rarity".
I'll stick with truly rare-in-any-condition coins like the 1925 nickel and most
of the George VI dollars...

Old March 9th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"mazorj" wrote in message

Perzackly. Although jeans aren't in the $20k league, we have tons of
McMansions built in faux European styles because to many Americans who are not
secure in their architectural heritage, a Tudor or whatever connotes class and
sophistication and bestows a shallow but satisfying sense of having joined the
elite.

Or maybe just because they like the style of the house.
There are Tudor style homes scattered throughout my community and I find them
quite pleasing to look at and not pretentious at all.
Then again they aren't of the McMansion size.

Old March 9th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message
"mazorj" wrote in message
As to Chinese millionaires wanting minor American cow flops, that's why I
included the word "fad". If population rarity is a fad here, and given
how much of American culture is adopted overseas, I see no reason why it
couldn't happen among Far East nouveau rich too. It's amazing what goofy
things can become status symbols for those who suddenly find themselves
with more money than brains.

Condition rarity is even worse in the Canadian coin market where a small
but respected grading company (ICCS) issues population reports and modern
late date MS66 cents sell for $100 because of their alleged "rarity".
I'll stick with truly rare-in-any-condition coins like the 1925 nickel and
most of the George VI dollars...

I just came into a pair of nice VG 1914 and 1915 Barber halves. They look
so nice in VG that I'm afraid I may have suckered myself into going after
the rest of the 20th century halves with similar VG examples. Who Dat says
you need MS70.

Old March 10th 10, 03:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Mar 8, 5:36*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message
[...]

I put together a set of Barber Halves in VG+ a couple of years ago,
and it was a fun ride. Believe it or not, it's more challenging than
it sounds, especially if you want a nicely matched set. Also in my
experience, some of the more "common" dates ended up being tougher to
acquire than the key dates. The last coin that I needed for my set
was the 1894-O, and it took a while to find one that I liked.

I found a couple of the old style classic blue Whitman books with the
mylar slide inserts so that I could view both sides of the coins,
which I found to be a major bonus as I assembled the set.
Old March 10th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message
[...]

=============

Please stoppit. You're tempting me. I was hoping for "silly" and
"ridiculous", but now I may not be able to stay away from the Barber waters.
Or is that Barbara Walters?

Old March 10th 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message
[...]

A VG+ set of Barber halves keeps one just south of the region of the serious
price jump between grades, and conjures up the bygone era of John Philip
Sousa (sorry, I get silly sentimental when I'm around coins). Too bad a
comparable set of Barber quarters has those three showstoppers, "missing
from most collections"...

James the Barber of Seville

A Major Rarity Eric Hochman Marketplace 0 April 23rd 08 09:03 PM
CONDITION versus PRICE versus RARITY. kittywake Books 5 September 7th 05 10:50 PM
HUGH condition rarity winwin Coins 2 April 22nd 05 09:15 PM
Another US Rarity Re-appears Bruce Remick Coins 13 March 5th 04 07:07 PM
Condition Rarity and the Future Steve Ruud Coins 5 July 29th 03 12:51 PM