Dry Climate FP maintenance - 100 deg @ 15% RH

Old July 25th 03, 07:30 PM
Juan

Default Dry Climate FP maintenance - 100 deg @ 15% RH

"Pahoo" wrote in message . earthlink.net...
During this hot dry spell out here in the west, and staying inside reading
the posts in this group with great interest, I was wondering about dry
climate maintenance of pens.

Plastic and rubber parts dry out very fast out in the high desert areas of
the west, as many know. My pen nibs will usually go dry on the desk in 24
hours when not used. Ink tends to go darker (evaporation?) in several
days, from the color at the original fill. If rubber erasers on pencils, go
rock hard in a matter of months, I wonder what is happening to older pens
with rubber parts.

Do the group experts have any recommendations or "secret" solutions to keep
the internal bladder, pieces parts maintained without affecting ink flow and
writing quality.

Sorry if this has been covered many times before.

Haven't considered this on pens, but for guitars some people use some
silica gel bags in humid environment and cigar humidicers in dry env
inside the guitar case. Note: silica bags may stain.

Juan

------
Pahoo

Old July 26th 03, 01:32 AM
Nancy Handy

Pahoo wrote:
During this hot dry spell ...I was wondering about dry
climate maintenance of pens.
Plastic and rubber parts dry out very fast
My pen nibs will usually go dry on the desk in 24 hours
Ink tends to go darker (evaporation?)
rubber erasers on pencils, go rock hard

Do the group experts have any recommendations or "secret" solutions to keep
the internal bladder, pieces parts maintained without affecting ink flow and
writing quality.

I wonder if it would help if you leave out an open pan of water in the
room not too far from your pens. This should add moisture to the room
the way many of us leave open pans on radiators in the winter to
counteract the hot dry heat.

Nancy
Old July 27th 03, 05:30 PM
marlinspike

That's one heck of a birthday idea for a fountain pen enthusiast: stick a
pen in his piece of cake.
Richard
"Kit Lewis" wrote in message
A good sealed inner cap will keep the
inside of the pen moist and humid in a dessert for days easily.

Nobody should keep their pen in a dessert.
Custard can damage the finish on some kinds of pen, while whipped cream

can
be disastrous when it gets into the works. Citric acid in some kinds of
fruit will also tarnish metal parts.

Regards

Kit Lewis

---

Old July 28th 03, 04:33 AM
Ron Wilbanks

Kit Lewis wrote:

Nobody should keep their pen in a dessert.
Custard can damage the finish on some kinds of pen, while whipped cream can
be disastrous when it gets into the works.

Darn there goes my plans to invent the "Cool Whip Writer" ;-)

--
Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!