1961 Topps #9, Bob Purkey

Old December 23rd 04, 03:04 AM
John Wade

Default 1961 Topps #9, Bob Purkey

Bob Purkey's 1961 Topps card #9 is shown here,
both front and back:

http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/images/009-Purkey.jpg

http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/images/009-Purkey-b.jpg

Bob had a good case for winning the Cy Young
award in 1962, the one that Don Drysdale won.
That year he won 23 games to Don's 25, but
lost only 4 to Don's 9. He also finished 3rd that
year in ERA with a very nice 2.81, with Drysdale
finishing right behind him with a 2.83 ERA.

Bob is what is called a "junkball" pitcher, with
about half of his pitches being knuckleballs, but
he had good control. He would allow a lot of
hits, but would somehow not allow a lot of runs.

In one game in 1960, Bob gave up 11 hits and
yet pitched a shutout!!

He was voted to the N.L. All-Star team in 1958,
1961, and 1962. He finished 8th in the voting
for MVP in 1962.

In August 1959, Bob came to bat against the
Cubs with the bases loaded, and hit a grand
slam, the only home run he would hit all year!!

Bob came up with the Pirates in 1954, was
traded to the Reds after the '57 season, and
played with the Reds through 1964. He was
then dealt to St. Louis for the '65 season, and
returned to the Pirates for 1966.

He had a lifetime ERA of 3.79.
John Wade

Old December 23rd 04, 05:45 PM
John Wade

John Wade wrote, in part:

Bob Purkey's 1961 Topps card #9 is shown here,
both front and back:

http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/images/009-Purkey.jpg

http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/images/009-Purkey-b.jpg

Just a couple of comments about my series of posts.

One is, I don't know why the fronts of these cards
are coming out dotted. I know the printing of the
time was dot matrix, but the original scan, which is
too large, does not look like this. It is only when I
reduce the size that these red dots appear.

Oh well, I will try to better the quality of the scans
as I go along. It's a good thing nobody's reading
these posts, huh? /;-)

The other thing is about my FTP site. The scans
of these cards are not the only things I have
posted there, and I know I have a limited amount
of space (10mb rings a bell for some reason).
My options are to buy more space, or start
deleting the oldest photos at some point. I'm
not sure which I will do yet, but if anyone wants
to keep these images, you may want to right
click on the photo, and select "Save Picture As",
and then place it in a folder on your hard drive.

That's it, carry on...
John Wade

Old December 24th 04, 04:15 AM
Rich Davis

I'm not sure John. I was going to suggest that you set the scanner on
"descreen, slow speed", but you said that the original scan isn't like that.