1961 Topps #4, Lenny Green

Old December 17th 04, 12:42 AM
John Wade

Default 1961 Topps #4, Lenny Green

Lenny Green's 1961 Topps #4 card is
shown here, front and back:

http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/images/Green-4.jpg

http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/images/Green-4b.jpg

1961 was the year the Washington Senators
moved to Minnesota to become the Twins.
This photo looks to have been taken right
after they broke the news to Lenny. /;-)

In this expansion year, Lenny had a couple
of firsts. He hit the first double in Metropolitan
Stadium (Marty Keough had the first single),
and he had the first Major League hit in
L.A.'s Wrigley Field, a single.

The cartoon on the back of his card says he
pinch hit a home run against the Red Sox in
1960, but wisely omits the fact that it was
one of only five homers he hit all year.

Lenny was a good player and the regular
center fielder for the Twins. He had a 24
game hitting streak which ended in May,
1961.

Lenny came up with the Orioles in 1957,
was sent back down to the minors in '58,
was traded to the Senators early in the
'59 season, where he played for the
Senators/Twins until 1964. In '64 he
played for the Twins, Angels, and the
Orioles again. In 1965 and 1966 he
played with the Red Sox, and he ended
his career with the Tigers in 1967 and
1968.

Lenny had a career batting average of .267.
John Wade

Old December 17th 04, 03:30 AM
John Wade

Rich Davis wrote:

1961 was the year the Washington Senators
moved to Minnesota to become the Twins.

I thought the Senators were around until about 1970.

The Washington Senators of 1960 decided to move
to Minnesota, so it took its players and its history and
became the Minnesota Twins of 1961.

The American League then decided to expand one
year earlier than planned, by creating a new team
in Washington (as well as the new team in L.A.), and
it was decided to keep the same name, "Washington
Senators". But the new team had none of the
history or players of the old team.

But you are right, there was a "Senators" team
around through the 1971 season. Then this team
became the Texas Rangers in 1972.

There's going to be a new team in Washington soon isn't there? I caught the
tail end of a news report about it the other day.

I think that deal has fallen through. Something
about the financing of the new stadium.
John Wade

Old December 17th 04, 04:21 PM
Rich Davis