what else do you collect?

Old June 1st 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Default what else do you collect?

gogu wrote:

So isn't it better not having valuables in your home and in case of robbery
just pretend you are sleeping and let the thieves take whatever they
want?...
This is what police generally suggests to us here in Europe.
After all the life of my wife and children is above any TV or stereo set...
Generally speaking thieves want only your money or valuables, if they don't
find any they will just leave...

In my particular situation, I came home to find a man who was probably
a drug addict looking for something to steal. He could have taken the
TV, the stereo etc, but he appeared to be looking for something else.
Coins possibly, I had them in my double door safe in the basement.
However, it was my wife and 2 year old daughter who entered the house
first, and screamed. I came in with pistol drawn. The home invader had
picked up a kitchen knife and was threatening my wife with it. When he
saw the gun he opted to make a speedy retreat. I am no hero but don't
think that I would passively allow someone to take anything from me by
pretending that I was asleep, especially if I had a gun. If I was in a
country where guns weren't allowed, then yes, I probably would allow
them to take whatever they wanted. As Jerry mentioned, the criminals
have guns and by definition are not law abiding. If there was a way of
removing that threat, it would definately lessen the need for self
defense. However to bring up the Second Amendment argument mentioned
elsewhere, the Bill of Rights, the first 10 amendments to the
Constitution all give priority to the citizen over the government,
protect the citizens FROM the government. The first thing Hitler did
was to disarm the citizens. Individual rights are jealously guarded
here in the USA. The criminal in my situation had no gun, I did. You
mention a lower crime rate equating to the lack of guns, I don't see
it that way. My having a gun lowered the crime rate in my house. I
will get off my soapbox now. I hope that your home is never invaded,
regardless of who has or hasn't a gun. For those who don't want a gun,
don't get one. I just don't see any reason for a law abiding citizen
not to have one if they want one, and see no reason for criminals who
commit their crimes with a gun to be allowed on the streets, time and
time again, but that is a whole different rant.

in Europe people can not carry guns except in special situations and
gun permits are as rare as a '31 double golden Eagle;-)
Despite all that, the crime rate here in the non-carrying guns Europe is
much lower that in the gun-carrying US!
Doesn't it says something about the whole question?...

No, not really, see above argument.

In two words, my *personal* opinion (which may very well be wrong...) is
that the
right to carry a gun is not making a *society* safer (maybe an individual in
a given situation but certainly not the whole society).
Just my two (euro)cents.

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old June 1st 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 31 May 2007 19:42:12 -0700, Jud wrote:

In my particular situation, I came home to find a man who was probably
a drug addict looking for something to steal. He could have taken the
TV, the stereo etc, but he appeared to be looking for something else.
Coins possibly, I had them in my double door safe in the basement.
However, it was my wife and 2 year old daughter who entered the house
first, and screamed. I came in with pistol drawn.

In today's newspaper: In Stratford, Connecticut a man shot and
critically wounded his 18-year-old daughter. The daughter had sneaked
out of the house earlier that night to meet her boyfriend and was
re-entering through the basement. The man, thinking his daughter was
in bed, mistook the girl for an intruder when the backyard motion-
sensor light went on and he heard noises in the basement.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old June 1st 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian O

"tony cooper" wrote in message
[...]

Very sad, but why is that the guns fault?
It was a mistake, and everyone makes mistakes, some worse than others. What
if it had NOT been his daughter, and had been a rapist or murderer? With
guns goes responsibility, including informing the members of the household
that there is a gun in the house and it could be used. If she knew, she
took a foolish risk. The father may have used better judgment in that he had
not clearly identified the target before he shot.

Old June 1st 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Brian O wrote:
.. The father may have used better judgment in that he had
not clearly identified the target before he shot.

Rule #1 Be sure of your target before pointing weapon

Old June 1st 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο "Sibirskmoneta" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"gogu" wrote in message
Wait, it was missing an "s", the correct ng is rec.models.scale!
Added in my groups!

Currently my squadron consists of an Ilya Murometz bomber from WWI, a
PO-2, an I-16, an I-15, 2 Mig 3's, a LI-2, and an MIL-24. I have many
more still unbuilt kits, mostly 1920's and 1930's oddball aircrafts but
some good stuff like the Lilya Litvak Yak1b and a Shturmovik with metal
etched components. I think the Yak1b is going to be the next project, it
is one I searched for the "White Rose" variety for a while on. Sometime
when I get really ambitious I would like to add a TB-3 to my VVS.

Samolyet Krasnii Zvezda!

I have the Shturmovik but...unbuild, as many others:-(
Same goes for the MIL-24...
BTW, I have about 20 metal etched components for various aircrafts (mostly
WW2) plus many resin parts, are they considered today a rarity?...

PS
Samolyet I think means "aircraft", right?
Krasno should be "red" and zveda is "star", right?
I was always fascinated by Russian but I never managed to learn it, although
my father was born there (Krasnodar, former Ekaterinodar)...
Of course he left Russia at the tender age of 7 but he still remembers a lot
of Russian!
Harasho;-)

Old June 1st 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

? "Jud" ?????? ??? ??????
ups.com...

gogu wrote:

in Europe people can not carry guns except in special situations and
gun permits are as rare as a '31 double golden Eagle;-)
Despite all that, the crime rate here in the non-carrying guns Europe is
much lower that in the gun-carrying US!
Doesn't it says something about the whole question?...

No, not really, see above argument.

The sad event that happened to you my friend does not change the fact that
in Europe where we do not carry guns the criminality rate is much lower that
in the US where you carry guns!
This tells me something and that is carrying guns does not offer much in
fighting criminality in the society...
Please don't understand me wrong, I am not trying to convince you for
anything or imply anything, I just want to say that I would never feel
comfortable if any sick person could find extremely easy a gun and use it
G-d knows how...
When I am in the US I must admit that I feel a little uncomfortable knowing
that so many people are carrying a gun near me, in the store, in the
elevator, in the restaurant, etc...
As I said, these are just my thoughts and I don't want to impose my opinion
on anyone!

rgrds

PS
I do have a hunting gun, an old Beretta but that's another thing.
I must admit though that I never shot an animal, I am just shooting trees;-)

Old June 1st 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message
My wife refuses to have another bookcase in the house so some are stored
in cupboards. :-( Billy

Suggest putting them out in the barn.

I was going to store them in the gardener's cottage. :-) Billy

Old June 1st 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"gogu" wrote in message I have the
Shturmovik but...unbuild, as many others:-(
Same goes for the MIL-24...
BTW, I have about 20 metal etched components for various aircrafts (mostly
WW2) plus many resin parts, are they considered today a rarity?...

PS
Samolyet I think means "aircraft", right?
Krasno should be "red" and zveda is "star", right?
I was always fascinated by Russian but I never managed to learn it,
although
my father was born there (Krasnodar, former Ekaterinodar)...
Of course he left Russia at the tender age of 7 but he still remembers a
lot
of Russian!
Harasho;-)

I don't think the parts themselves are worth much by themselves but only as
part of kits. Several of my kits, especially the Shturmovik are mocked up -
my brother always did that before he built the kit - detached parts, sanded
and fit them together with tape to check fits. A couple of my A/C's were
built by him notably the Ilya Murometz - which is a project I would never
undertake with all the rigging etc. Now they are special kits because he is
not around anymore so they are like memorials of his skills. The Ilya kit
was actually the 3rd he built, and the only one that still exists, he was a
perfectionist and would destroy a model if it did not turn out just right.

Russian/Ukrainian are important languages in my family. Everyday
conversation is peppered with words from the old country.

Old June 1st 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

[...]

Sure, I bought them after I bought the kits, so I have the kits *and* the
resin/etched parts.

Several of my kits, especially the Shturmovik are mocked up - my brother
always did that before he built the kit - detached parts, sanded and fit
them together with tape to check fits.

All my unassembled kits are "mint", nothing detached.

A couple of my A/C's were built by him notably the Ilya Murometz - which
is a project I would never undertake with all the rigging etc. Now they
are special kits because he is not around anymore so they are like
memorials of his skills. The Ilya kit was actually the 3rd he built, and
the only one that still exists, he was a perfectionist and would destroy a
model if it did not turn out just right.

Sound like me:-)
I had 3 kits destroyed for the same reason!

Russian/Ukrainian are important languages in my family. Everyday
conversation is peppered with words from the old country.

:-)
You must do everything to preserve your cultural heritage, it's a pity that
the language is forgotten after the second/third generation of emigrants...
I don't know how old are you or if you have kids but in the case you have
try to teach them your father's language!
After all in this new world knowing Russian (or Ukrainian) is an asset!
In a few years Russia will be the number 2 or 3 partner of the US so there
will be need for Russian speaking employees.
Which part of Russia or Ukraine your forefathers come?

Old June 2nd 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
.. .
I'm a cop, specifically a narcotics agent. I have made some
acqaintances(sp?) over the years that were not favorable to the other
person, so I carry all the time. Just another work tool.

I remember one time as a teenager there was a knock at the back door. When
I opened the door there were two very rough individuals asking if my father
was home. My father was a judge and these guys looked like they just might
possibly be out for revenge for sending them to prison. I try not to judge
by sight but these two guys looked like they were quite familiar with a
prison cell. I told them my father was not home and to come back later.

This was around lunch time and the courthouse was close enough to our home
that my father sometimes came home for lunch. Sure enough, right at that
moment, the back porch door swung open and there was my father. I was ready
to do whatever I had to if the scene was to turn violent in any way. Much
to my surprise when the two scuzball looking dudes saw my father they asked
him to sign a search warrant.

I breathed a sigh of relief because I just came to the realization that they
were undercover narcotics officers.

I can only imagine that job takes nerves of steel.