refilling cartridges

Old July 12th 03, 02:36 PM
Edward Bonaventure

Default refilling cartridges

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 at 19:10:38 -0400, fdubiel scribbled:
-Edward Bonaventure wrote:
- -And is not covered by the Massachusetts ban on people possess-
- -ing hypodermic needles.

For the record, I didn't write that. As is indicated by the
double indent marks, it was the original poster (Al Wesolowsky) who
said this.

-I live in MA. There is no such ban as far as we are concerned
-when it comes to refilling cartridges.

That's interesting, but Mr. Wesolowsky disagrees with you.

My experience tallies with Mr. Wesolowsky's. In my part of the
country an honest citizen (i.e., fountain pen user) is lucky to
get out of an office supplies store or even a computer show (not to
mention -- shudder! -- a drugstore) without being arrested if one
dares to ask about items like those you mentioned. (I say this
with a tiny bit of sarcasm, but only a tiny bit.)
david moeser -- erasmus39 on yahoo
Censornati, Ohio - USA

* "Are we having no fun yet?!" (heard around Censornati) *

(Headers munged to foil spammers; real info in taglines)
Old July 12th 03, 03:01 PM

-Edward Bonaventure wrote:
- -And is not covered by the Massachusetts ban on people possess-
- -ing hypodermic needles.

For the record, I didn't write that. As is indicated by the
double indent marks, it was the original poster (Al Wesolowsky) who
said this.

-I live in MA. There is no such ban as far as we are concerned
-when it comes to refilling cartridges.

That's interesting, but Mr. Wesolowsky disagrees with you.

My experience tallies with Mr. Wesolowsky's. In my part of the
country an honest citizen (i.e., fountain pen user) is lucky to
get out of an office supplies store or even a computer show (not to
mention -- shudder! -- a drugstore) without being arrested if one
dares to ask about items like those you mentioned. (I say this
with a tiny bit of sarcasm, but only a tiny bit.)

I'm sorry about that. My mistake. I always try to edit the quotes and
I edited that one wrong. But the fact stands that hypos are sold over
the counter to anyone who wants them here in MA at the places I stated.
It could be to a 7 year old child and no questions are asked. In fact
I've seen kids buy em at computer shows here. It did seem to be to kids
that wanted em to refill ink jet cartridges and nothing more.

Now if you walk into a drug store and ask about it it may be a different
outcome. Perhaps hypos are illegal if you ask. So are BB guns in MA
without firearms cards. Yet sometimes BB guns can be found at toy
counters and anyone can buy them. The problem comes if you ask if its
legal or if you need a license. Or if someone complains.

But as for the hypos at office supply stores and shows, that has been
going on for years and even open boxes of sealed hypos are for sale in
many of them. Perhaps the blunt needle makes em legal. I dunno.

Last I knew here in MA it is ILLEGAL to go to church for services if you
are a male unless you carry in a gun. That still is or at least was the
law as of several years ago last I heard about it. Males are required
to carry guns to church to ward off Indian attacks. One of those
acient and weird and wacky "blue laws" that for one reason or another
never got changed. Last I read many of those laws are kept on the books
due to historical interest. So laws are one things. Reality can be
another.

Bottom line legal or not anyone can get blunt needle hypos anywhere in
MA at 1000s of places and I'm sure that applies anywhere else. If one
doesn't want to bother to look or if you are afraid the needle police
will shut down office supply stores and computer shows just order on
line. Again 100s of sources under "ink jet refills." Frank
Old July 12th 03, 03:53 PM
marlinspike

wrote in message ...
snip

So are BB guns in MA
without firearms cards.

snip

Last I knew here in MA it is ILLEGAL to go to church for services if you
are a male unless you carry in a gun.

So in one instance they are taking away your rights and in another they are
forcing you to use them...Hey, I just found away to get around MA's laws
making it hard to get a right to carry permit. "Do you have a lisence for
that gun?"
"No, but don't worry, I'm just going to church."

HAHAHAHA
Richard

Old July 12th 03, 08:01 PM
mz

Frank, et al.,

I've been following this thread, along with similar ones in the past,
wondering if people aren't comparing apples and oranges, hence the
disagreements about whether the purchase of "hypos" by hobbyists are legal
or illegal.

The word "hypodermic" refers to: (1) the parts under the skin; (2) an
injection under the skin; or (3) the hypodermis, according to my unabridged
Webster. That being the case, the "blunt needle hypos" you refer to are not
true hypodermic syringes since they are not designed to puncture the skin.
That's why they are available to the general public. OTOH, attempting to
purchase a "hypo" from the local pharmacy (or chemist, for those of you
speaking english instead of "amurican") without a prescription is illegal
and the reason for the wary looks from the pharmacist, regardless of the
intended innocuous use.

Therefore, it might be better to refer to the "blunt needle hypos" as
syringes, since that is what they are. Hopefully this will help to clear up
the confusion.

Mark Z.
who is wary of becoming a grammar cop