Sheaffer Violet vs Purple (#2)

Old July 11th 03, 10:06 PM
Edward Bonaventure

Default Sheaffer Violet vs Purple (#2)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 at 11:19:01 -0700, "Kenneth D. Schillinger"
scribbled:
-I noticed that Skrip has changed the name on their Violet ink To
-Purple. Does anyone know if the ink is the same color, or has
-that changed along with the name?

I don't know if their latest version has changed, but I can com-
ment on the longer-term usage of these terms by Sheaffer. Today
one is likely to find old ink and its packages only in museums or
the collections of vendors or collectors. But thruout the 1960s
and '70s, and into the '80s, it was still possible to make lucky
finds in the stores of old Sheaffer ink from the 1950s.

The packaging for Sheaffer ink in the 1950s (and continuing
into the early '60s) listed 12 colors, including purple. In 1972,
on the back shelves of a "candy store" in suburban New York (where
a "candy store" is roughly equivalent to what's called a drugstore
in The Rest Of the Country, but without the drugs! grin) I found
a supply of two-ounce bottles of the real McCoy: Sheaffer purple ink
in the old 1950s-style labels and boxes. That ink was definitely
purple, meaning somewhat bluish. It was not a reddish shade (like
what I defined as violet in the previous posting). It was also a
strong, bold color, not like the weak, lifeless, miserable "bur-
gundy" Sheaffer marketed in recent years.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Sheaffer ink labeled as "violet."
At any rate, that's not what they called it in past decades; it
used to be "purple."
david moeser -- erasmus39 on yahoo
Censornati, Ohio - USA

* I'm sure it's clearly explained in the Zmodem DOCs *

(Headers munged to foil spammers; real info in taglines)