Help identfying Japanese (?) stamp

Old April 17th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

Default Help identfying Japanese (?) stamp

Here's your chance to show off.

Just went through a load of kiloware, was left with one stamp I couldn't
identify: http://cjoint.com/data/erelAICaHj.htm

I believe it is Japanese. It is an view of Mt. Fuji in orange, with a
chrysanthemum crest above and stylized cherry blossoms and clouds (?) in
the foreground. It appears to be the same design as the 20 sen
definitive from the 1942 series, with a different color and denomination.

It is typographed, ungummed, imperforate, and unused.

Help? Scott preferred, but anything with a date and service role would
assist me.

Thank you,

--
Joshua McGee ‹(•¿•)›
APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS

Old April 17th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

for future ref
this is the set to which it belongs

http://cjoint.com/data/ereSGH0Tyz.htm

web image

Old April 17th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:45:22 +0800, rodney wrote:

SG417 (1945) T146 10s [1m0] imperf orange.jpg
for future ref
this is the set to which it belongs

http://cjoint.com/data/ereSGH0Tyz.htm

web image

Thank you, and thank you. With this info, I cross-referenced with
Scott. It's Scott #355 red orange, valued at minimum catalog value used
and unused.

Looks like I was wrong about typography -- the catalogue notes offset
lithography. Whatever was used, it's rather primitive. It looks like
(for some reason) the Japanese government had other things than stamps to
spend money on from 1945 to 1947.

Got all the kiloware sorted now. Thank you.

Old April 17th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Joshua McGee"
Thank you, and thank you. With this info, I cross-referenced with
Scott. It's Scott #355 red orange, valued at minimum catalog value used
and unused.

I have always had particular fondness for that stamp in particular.
I find the design marvelous, and possibly a die hard relative of the
"art deco" period.
It's a pity the others in the series didn't follow in the same vein.

I don't enjoy the familiarity that comes with having a catalogue
explanation of the set.
If I were a betting man, I'd put a tanner on the designer being
one with the issues of the Japanese occupation of Burma.
Another set I find attractive.

Old April 17th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Apr 17, 7:20 am, "rodney" wrote:
"Joshua McGee"

Thank you, and thank you. With this info, I cross-referenced with
Scott. It's Scott #355 red orange, valued at minimum catalog value used
and unused.

I have always had particular fondness for that stamp in particular.
I find the design marvelous, and possibly a die hard relative of the
"art deco" period.
It's a pity the others in the series didn't follow in the same vein.

I don't enjoy the familiarity that comes with having a catalogue
explanation of the set.
If I were a betting man, I'd put a tanner on the designer being
one with the issues of the Japanese occupation of Burma.
Another set I find attractive.

Having had a friend who was in the British Army in Burma,
he found life during the Japanese Occupation much less
attractive than you find their stamps.

Blair
Old April 17th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Blair (TC)" Having had a friend who was in the British Army in Burma,
he found life during the Japanese Occupation much less
attractive than you find their stamps.
Blair

Ouch!
I was discussing design not politics Blair.

Old April 17th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"rodney" wrote in message

"Blair (TC)" Having had a friend who was in the British Army in Burma,
he found life during the Japanese Occupation much less
attractive than you find their stamps.
Blair

Ouch!
I was discussing design not politics Blair.

Case in point, Rod. My trimester at Concordia on "Ingmar Bergman: The God
Years" was hell, but Sweden's October 81 Andersson/Sylwan issue is still one
of my favorite stamps. http://cjoint.com/data/errmbZqFxu.htm
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 18th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Tony Vella"
Case in point, Rod. My trimester at Concordia on "Ingmar Bergman: The God
Years" was hell, but Sweden's October 81 Andersson/Sylwan issue is still
one of my favorite stamps. http://cjoint.com/data/errmbZqFxu.htm

Alas, the topic escapes me, having little knowledge on Bergman,
however, the image illustrates why I like my stamps in high definition,
the poignancy of the single yellow rose, in the picture could almost be
missed.
( I presume signifying jealousy or dying love)

Goodness knows we have a lot to despise the Japanese for,
here in Australia, both during the war, and the present slaughter of
our whales, but to convict by association, of a gentleman
with a burin, working under a magnifying glass, imho is in error,
yet I do understand the connection.

Old April 18th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Apr 17, 11:40 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Apr 17, 7:20 am, "rodney" wrote:

"Joshua McGee"

Thank you, and thank you. With this info, I cross-referenced with
Scott. It's Scott #355 red orange, valued at minimum catalog value used
and unused.

I have always had particular fondness for that stamp in particular.
I find the design marvelous, and possibly a die hard relative of the
"art deco" period.
It's a pity the others in the series didn't follow in the same vein.

I don't enjoy the familiarity that comes with having a catalogue
explanation of the set.
If I were a betting man, I'd put a tanner on the designer being
one with the issues of the Japanese occupation of Burma.
Another set I find attractive.

Having had a friend who was in the British Army in Burma,
he found life during the Japanese Occupation much less
attractive than you find their stamps.

Blair

I earn my living as a Japanese translator, so you may care to discount
what I have to say ... but they were brutal times, and the story is a
lot more complex than the crude victor's version. (Inter alia, a
little reading about the British behaviour in Hong Kong immediately
before the arrival of the Japanese might be salutary. None of which
excuses the excesses by either side.)

But I might add that I've heard more genuine remorse from ordinary
Japanese for what they did, than I've heard from any of 'our' side for
what we did.

Tony