$1,000 Bag of Silver

Old October 8th 03, 11:19 AM
Fred

Look,

All I know is that John W. Snow wants to devalue the dollar and he is
raising this opinion publicly.

Take it for whats its worth. If you would like to find out more, perhaps
someone else here knows more on this situation. I am just repeating what I
heard from Washington DC

Fred

And, the $10 turning to $8 was only an example.
Geez....

"Joe Fischer" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 "Fred" wrote:

Well, I'll tell you that you are NO Nostradamus(sp?)

It is public knowledge that Treasury Secretary John W. Snow is trying to
devalue the US Dollar. He is not hiding behind a fence or a bush or

behind
anything else...he is trying to do this out in the open.

What does "devalue the dollar mean"?

Argentina devalues their money every 4 or 5 years or so. And although I

am
uncertain as to the reason why (atleast I am honest), that $10 in your

bank
account now would be worth $8(est).

What are you talking about? There are so many
different effects of inflation (good and bad effects), and
many effects of currency exchange rates (good and bad),
a statement about $10 becoming $8 is not meaningful.

So, its no secret that the US dollar might lose its shirt.
Fred
Please don't ask me to show my references on this, its a financial talk

show
that airs on Saturday Mornings.

The metals traders will love you, and it is well known
what lovers do. There are many complaints about inflation
here, but the US has the most stable currency in the world,
and the lowest inflation over the last century, over the last
25 years, and over the last 10 years.
Coins are better to hold than paper, but coins at face
value are best, next to US Savings Bonds.
Metals go up and down, and rarely have anything to
do with exchange rates or domestic inflation.

Joe Fischer

Old October 8th 03, 12:47 PM
Jason Ditz

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 "Fred" wrote:

Well, I'll tell you that you are NO Nostradamus(sp?)

It is public knowledge that Treasury Secretary John W. Snow is trying to
devalue the US Dollar. He is not hiding behind a fence or a bush or behind
anything else...he is trying to do this out in the open.

What does "devalue the dollar mean"?

It means the same thing as inflation. That's what the whole thing with
China's exchange rate is all about, weakening the US dollar so US
goods will temporarily look more attractive on the export market.

[...]

Personally I'd consider US savings bonds slightly better than US paper
money (both are backed by nothing but the word of the US government,
but at least the bonds pay a little interest), and slightly worse than
modern US coinage. FWIW, the nickel is the 'best buy' right now from a
metallic content / face value position of any still minted coin. Not
quite as good as a pre Zinc penny, but reasonably close. Give copper a
solid runup from a tech recovery or the dollar a drop from inflation
and they might wind up having to debase the nickel.

Interesting how now we have to think about debasing coinage that's
already made from base metals.
Old October 8th 03, 06:32 PM
WinWinscenario

It means the same thing as inflation. That's what the whole thing with
China's exchange rate is all about, weakening the US dollar so US
goods will temporarily look more attractive on the export market.

So devaluation would lead to a (temprary) surge in US exports--because the
weaker dollar makes them cheaper to everyone--and results in a (temporary) boom
in the US economy, until other countries make adjustments to protect their own
exports.

Should result in a (temporarily) booming US economy during the first three
quarters of 2004!

Regards,
Tom
Old October 8th 03, 06:36 PM
Bob Peterson

or not. such things are a shot in the dark.

my guess is that one of the reasons the Chinese authorities decided to
legalize private gold ownership was to soak up a lot of excess Chinese cash
that was floating around to try and reduce inflationary pressures.

one possibility that could result from a weaker dollar is imports will be
more expensive, leading to higher inflation, reducing the risk of deflation,
which has been a major worry of a lot of very bright people.

Old October 8th 03, 07:21 PM
Andrew Taylor

WinWinscenario wrote:

So devaluation would lead to a (temprary) surge in US exports--because the
weaker dollar makes them cheaper to everyone--and results in a (temporary) boom
in the US economy, until other countries make adjustments to protect their own
exports.

But conversely, both imported raw materials, including oil and gas, and
the off-shore labor widely used for manufactured goods will cost more.
So while US products will get cheaper, US expenses will get more expensive.

Also, the US has a trade deficit, meaning it imports more goods than is
exports, so overall, this should actually slow harm the economy, not
boost it.

--
Andrew

Old October 8th 03, 09:39 PM
Coin Saver

From: winwinscenario

a booming US economy during the first three quarters of 2004!

the first three quarters of 2004 a Michigan, Florida, and Texas.

8-)

Coin Saver
Old October 9th 03, 05:10 AM
Joe Fischer

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 "Fred" wrote:

Look,

All I know is that John W. Snow wants to devalue the dollar and he is
raising this opinion publicly.

Which has very little to do with bags of bullion coins.

Take it for whats its worth. If you would like to find out more, perhaps
someone else here knows more on this situation. I am just repeating what I
heard from Washington DC
Fred

Before anybody thinks about going off the deep end,
I would suggest comparing silver production now with 1980,
I am guessing it shows more silver has been produced since
1980 than the all time total before 1980.

More than half of silver production is by product of
copper and zinc mining. If everybody reading this newsgroup
were to buy 10 bags it probably would not affect spot silver prices.

Rumors are worth what they cost, especially if they
come from DC. Half the world wants dollars, maybe making
it cheaper to buy them would have a benefit, but imports
may continue at the same rate, increasing the trade deficit.
It is best to not worry about it, or just buy Yen. :-)

Joe Fischer

Old October 9th 03, 03:41 PM
Jason Ditz

I've heard a lot of people talking about deflationary concerns, but to
be honest I just don't buy into it. The Fed is printing money like mad
right now, so even if all the unemployed people are trying to pinch
every penny the sheer mass of new money flooding into the market will
keep prices up.

Then when the economy eventually does recover, and the unemployed
people go back to work and start spending, the fact that there is way
more money kicking around on the market than there used to be will
catch up with them.

Old October 9th 03, 07:53 PM
WinWinscenario

From: winwinscenario

a booming US economy during the first three quarters of 2004!

the first three quarters of 2004 a Michigan, Florida, and Texas.

8-)

Coin Saver

I think that's the point. Federal fiscal policies can be effective only in the
short run, because markets and countries adjust to minimize the impact of what
we do.

With America's four-year electoral cycle, the short run is the first three
quarters of a leap year.

The colossal amount of stimulus that has been injected into the
economy--deficits that will actually exceed a remarkable $600 billion next
year, for instance--is certain to boost the economy in the short term. The
long-term effects of record deficits, and other policy decisions, are less
certain and less likely to be positive.

Regards,
Tom
Old October 10th 03, 12:05 AM
Bob Peterson

"Jason Ditz" wrote in message
m...
I've heard a lot of people talking about deflationary concerns, but to
be honest I just don't buy into it. The Fed is printing money like mad
right now, so even if all the unemployed people are trying to pinch
every penny the sheer mass of new money flooding into the market will
keep prices up.

I don't really buy the deflation argument either, I just said there are some
very bright people who do worry about it.

Then when the economy eventually does recover, and the unemployed
people go back to work and start spending, the fact that there is way
more money kicking around on the market than there used to be will
catch up with them.

On the other hand, a lot of that money got soaked up as federal debt where
it will be socked away for a long time.

IMO, the national and world economys are just to dynamic for anyone to
accurately predict what will happen.

Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
FS: 90% silver, Lexington-Concord, Elgin, 1882 Morgan Bill Krummel Coins 0 September 16th 03 05:23 AM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Collecting Silver Coin vs. Collecting Silver Bullion? Jay Quinn Coins 4 July 31st 03 06:50 PM
Cost of silver dollars at 1980 peak Roland Watson Coins 4 July 26th 03 09:33 PM