$1,000 Bag of Silver

Old October 6th 03, 12:59 AM
QuantrelRaiders

Default $1,000 Bag of Silver

I'd like to buy a $1,000 face value bag of silver, especially Kennedy halves.
Some questions.

What is the total weight of the bag?
What is the total weight in ounces of silver in the bag?

At $4.84 per ounce of silver, what should I pay for a $1,000 face-value bag of
silver?

Old October 6th 03, 01:22 AM
Art O'Connell

I don't really do bullion, but there's a site I've used for info a few
times.

http://www.tulving.com/

I have no affiliation with this company and in fact have never purchased
from them. Just used their site for info.

Hope this helps.

--
May God bless and protect you.
Art

(remove nojunk from email address)

"QuantrelRaiders" wrote in message
I'd like to buy a $1,000 face value bag of silver, especially Kennedy

halves.
Some questions.

What is the total weight of the bag?
What is the total weight in ounces of silver in the bag?

At $4.84 per ounce of silver, what should I pay for a $1,000 face-value

bag of
silver?

---

Old October 6th 03, 04:43 AM
Bob Peterson

"Art O'Connell" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't really do bullion, but there's a site I've used for info a few
times.

http://www.tulving.com/

I have no affiliation with this company and in fact have never purchased
from them. Just used their site for info.

Hope this helps.

I have made a couple smallish purchases from him. fast service, not
surprises on s/h.

OTOH, he has a bit of a past. he believed coins are an investment, and sold
them as such to a lot of investors, most (or maybe all) of whom took
significant losses.

Old October 6th 03, 06:07 AM
TomDeLorey

A $1,000 face bag of 90% silver weighs approximately 55 pounds avdp. If the
coins are new they would contain approx. 723 troy ounces of pure silver, though
most dealers assume a bag of used silver to average out at 715 ounces.
..
Bags of 1964 halves usually weigh close to 720 ounces because the coins have
less wear than average circ. dimes and quarters. Solid bags of Franklin halves
are somewhere between the 715 and 720 ounces.
..
At $4.85 you should expect to pay about $3,700 for a $1,000 bag of dimes and/or
quarters, or about $3,800 for a solid bag of Franklin or Kennedy halves. The
higher price for the halves is more because of the demand from people such as
yourself, not the five or so extra ounces. The dimes and quarters are the
better buy.
..
Tom DeLorey
Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
Chicago
..
Subject: $1,000 Bag of Silver
From: (QuantrelRaiders)
Date: 10/5/2003 6:59 PM Central Daylight Time
I'd like to buy a $1,000 face value bag of silver, especially Kennedy halves.
Some questions.

What is the total weight of the bag?
What is the total weight in ounces of silver in the bag?

At $4.84 per ounce of silver, what should I pay for a $1,000 face-value bag
of
silver?

TomDeLorey
..
"Standard Oil" What they use to keep the grading standards slippery!
Old October 6th 03, 07:28 AM
QuantrelRaiders

A $1,000 face bag of 90% silver weighs approximately 55 pounds avdp. If the
coins are new they would contain approx. 723 troy ounces of pure silver, though
most dealers assume a bag of used silver to average out at 715 ounces.
..
Bags of 1964 halves usually weigh close to 720 ounces because the coins have
less wear than average circ. dimes and quarters. Solid bags of Franklin halves
are somewhere between the 715 and 720 ounces.
..
At $4.85 you should expect to pay about $3,700 for a $1,000 bag of dimes and/or
quarters, or about $3,800 for a solid bag of Franklin or Kennedy halves.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. As I post this, time is getting on...to
MON Oct 6 and I expect silver to return to around $5 an ounce. I likely will
buy several $1,000 bags today.
Old October 6th 03, 02:19 PM
James McCown

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message ...
"Art O'Connell" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't really do bullion, but there's a site I've used for info a few
times.

http://www.tulving.com/

I have no affiliation with this company and in fact have never purchased
from them. Just used their site for info.

Hope this helps.

I have made a couple smallish purchases from him. fast service, not
surprises on s/h.

OTOH, he has a bit of a past. he believed coins are an investment, and sold
them as such to a lot of investors, most (or maybe all) of whom took
significant losses.

Somebody bought coins as an investment and had losses? I'm shocked, I
tell you SHOCKED!
Old October 6th 03, 04:14 PM
bob peterson

.
Bags of 1964 halves usually weigh close to 720 ounces because the coins have
less wear than average circ. dimes and quarters. Solid bags of Franklin halves
are somewhere between the 715 and 720 ounces.
.
At $4.85 you should expect to pay about $3,700 for a $1,000 bag of dimes and/or
quarters, or about $3,800 for a solid bag of Franklin or Kennedy halves. The
higher price for the halves is more because of the demand from people such as
yourself, not the five or so extra ounces. The dimes and quarters are the
better buy.

I think you can probably do better than that. tulving has them right
now for $3518 delivered (based on $4.83 silver), for dimes or quarters
- he does not list halves on his web site. You might be able to shave
a few bucks off that price by going elsewhere. I like to use his
prices as a guide because he is very competitive on the stuff he
sells, and he has an easy to use website that is regularly updated.

You might also try some local coin dealers. You'd be surprised how
competitive they can be when they just bought a big chunk of such
things and want a quick turnaround. I know a guy that bought 100 1
ounce silver rounds/bars from a dealer last summer for 10 cents under
spot. I think the dealer had paid 30-40 cents under spot for them, and
he happend to come in when the dealer wanted some cash for something
else, and the small profit seemed like a good idea to the dealer at
the time. Let your favorite dealer know you might be interested in
such a deal if one comes along, and he may be quite happy to do both
of you a favor.

.
Tom DeLorey
Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
Chicago
.
From:
(QuantrelRaiders)

Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
FS: 90% silver, Lexington-Concord, Elgin, 1882 Morgan Bill Krummel Coins 0 September 16th 03 05:23 AM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Collecting Silver Coin vs. Collecting Silver Bullion? Jay Quinn Coins 4 July 31st 03 06:50 PM
Cost of silver dollars at 1980 peak Roland Watson Coins 4 July 26th 03 09:33 PM