$1,025 Bid for This??

Old April 20th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wax

Default $1,025 Bid for This??

"Stardancer" wrote in message
.. .
Howdy;

Any rational idea of why this bid is where it is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017

I don't often participate in bidding on eBay, but generally speaking, my
experience has been that once someone has placed a bid on something, the
auction quickly turns into a big magnet of activity. People seem to get
caught in the heat of the moment way too often and don't think their bids
through. They just want to win. I end up losing the vast majority of
auctions that I bid on (and not just with coins). I take into account
shipping and insurance costs and have a fixed dollar amount in my head that
I'm willing to spend. If someone outbids my maximum, they are most free to
have the item. I don't get sucked into bidding wars, but a lot of people do
and that's why you see insane bids.

One time a few years ago I bid on a certain world coin which I can't
remember the exact details of. Well, the ending bid was something close to
$27 even though the book value was $12 on that coin (I only went up as high
as $5). But the kicker was that the seller also had a supply of the same
coins in his store (on the eBay site) where you could select buy it now
options for nine dollars!!! I guess no one bidding on that coin took the
time to see what else the seller had!

It just goes to show you what it is like on there sometimes.

Old April 20th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Wax" wrote in message
[...]

There are world coins that I would gladly buy at 2X, 3X, or moreX of "book
value" because I know that "book value" is a fiction. Various hypotheses
have been advanced as to why "book value" lags far behind market value in
some cases, but none are testable under current conditions. However, what
you point out regarding the seller's identical BIN items brings out a
chuckle, even from this old curmudgeon.

James
'cheap at twice the price'

Old April 20th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

"Stardancer" wrote in message
.. .
Howdy;

Any rational idea of why this bid is where it is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017

Bidder 11: "I'm gonna own me a cleaned seated dollar with an obverse rim
bump."

Bidder 14: "We'll see about that."

James

LOL!
mk

Old April 21st 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 04/20/2007
at 10:56 AM, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com said:

Before the retraction it revealed Bidder 14's high bid as $1.000.00
Interesting to see what happens now

I think Bidder 14 might want to reconsider a few of his bids as well...

I've always wondered why some bidders are dumb enough to place multiple bids
on top of their already high bid. I can see reconsidering and placing one
additional bid to up your coverage (well, actually, bidding early and high
is dump in my book anyway), but multiples? I was so annoyed by this on one
item I was interested in, I chased the high bidder's own underbids until I
was in second place; he had placed many, many "backup" bids. It's easy to
do with little/no risk, and it cost him more than it needed to. I still
feel a tiny bit guilty about doing that.

Ok, I guess I don't feel THAT guilty. Not really. If this was something I
wanted, I'd do the same thing

Nick
Old April 21st 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
[...]

In this case it was a bidder "coming up under" the high bidder in an attempt
to top him. The high bidder then retracted, leaving the underbidder at the
top with his four failed bids.

James

Old April 21st 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 04/20/2007
at 06:43 PM, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com said:

In this case it was a bidder "coming up under" the high bidder in an
attempt to top him. The high bidder then retracted, leaving the
underbidder at the top with his four failed bids.

I see ... yes, you are right. I remember looking at the bid history early
this morning and seeing that. Ok, this multiple bidder is excused .

Nick