1909-S Lincoln Cent

Old October 7th 05, 09:21 PM

Default 1909-S Lincoln Cent

I checked this coin and immediately wondered why it wasn't slabbed. The
surface looks pitted to me, but I know little about the surface
appearance of old cents. Would you say the surface of this cent is
original?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-S-LINCOLN-C...cmdZ ViewItem

I've had a problem with this seller, so I have been watching his coins,
waiting to see if the roll I returned will show up again.

Anita

Old October 7th 05, 09:38 PM

The seller has now officially entered ernie status in my mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1896-S-MORGAN-SI...c mdZViewItem

There are many coins that have damage in his listings.

Anita

Old October 7th 05, 09:41 PM
Larry Louks

wrote in message
oups.com...
The seller has now officially entered ernie status in my mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1896-S-MORGAN-SI...c mdZViewItem

There are many coins that have damage in his listings.

Do you think he's suggesting that the Morgan is an AU?

Larry
'Heaven help us!'

Old October 7th 05, 10:01 PM

Larry Louks wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
The seller has now officially entered ernie status in my mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1896-S-MORGAN-SI...c mdZViewItem

There are many coins that have damage in his listings.

Do you think he's suggesting that the Morgan is an AU?

The Morgan appears to be a baggy, cleaned 96-S. The coin would go for
about $50 if it had the original surface. Stating the price of an AU
coin to me is very misleading.

If you look through some of his other coins, damage is obvious in many
of the coins that he is offering. His descriptions of the coins
overstates the coin's assets. A good example is
http://cgi.ebay.com/1886-5-LIBERTY-G...cmdZ ViewItem
that has obvious rim damage. His listings remind me of our ernie,
except that (as far as I know) ernie doesn't sell cleaned/damaged coins
as ch/gem BU.

Anita

Old October 7th 05, 10:11 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On 7 Oct 2005 13:21:35 -0700, "
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-S-LINCOLN-C...cmdZ ViewItem

Details are nice, but it looks dipped and AT to me. The coloring
reminds me a little of the pictures of the Indian cent that Bill
Krummel recently posted which was BB'd by the grading service he sent
it in to (can't remember which one it was) because of recoloring/AT
.... although Bill's coin looked a lot nicer than this one, IMHO.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old October 7th 05, 10:31 PM
linxlvr

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:41:04 +0000, Larry Louks wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
The seller has now officially entered ernie status in my mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1896-S-MORGAN-SI...c mdZViewItem

There are many coins that have damage in his listings.

Do you think he's suggesting that the Morgan is an AU?

Larry
'Heaven help us!'

He out right states it has mint luster... no wait he just says luster so
I guess the polishing compounds luster counts... sort of. :-)
--
dw

Old October 7th 05, 11:28 PM

linxlvr wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1896-S-MORGAN-SI...c mdZViewItem

He out right states it has mint luster... no wait he just says luster so
I guess the polishing compounds luster counts... sort of. :-)

I guess our new motto should be "Whar's the luster?" I can't find any,
not even between the letters. I would expect a VF detail coin to have
some luster remaining.

Maybe we could find the luster in the wells of the letters. Light,
microscope, and there it is.

I believe some sellers think luster means it's bright and shiny.

Anita

Old October 8th 05, 03:13 AM
linxlvr

overstates the coin's assets. A good example is
http://cgi.ebay.com/1886-5-LIBERTY-G...cmdZ ViewItem
that has obvious rim damage. His listings remind me of our ernie,
except that (as far as I know) ernie doesn't sell cleaned/damaged coins
as ch/gem BU.

Anita

I forgot... what does he sell his cleaned/damaged coins as... LOL
--
dw

Old October 8th 05, 06:08 AM
bri

wrote in message
ups.com...
I checked this coin and immediately wondered why it wasn't slabbed. The
surface looks pitted to me, but I know little about the surface
appearance of old cents. Would you say the surface of this cent is
original?

No. It's got arti-colors and spots. I'm seeing friction also--really not a
good thing to be seeing.
A little Dawn, elbow grease and a cloth is all one needs to get a nice
rainbow oil slick-on-water look depending on if it's already got a bit of
colors on it to begin with.
Been there--done that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-S-LINCOLN-C...cmdZ ViewItem

I've had a problem with this seller, so I have been watching his coins,
waiting to see if the roll I returned will show up again.

Anita

Let's do the research--total mintage of 1,825,000. Lincolns have a large
base of collectors which drives up the prices due to high demand. These are
scarce since a lot of folks have kept these with the mistaken idea they have
THE key date of the series.
It took me about 2 minutes to find an ANACS MS63 brown for $299. It looks
about as red as that dumping ground E-bay auction coin.
Jeez some dealers are selling raw XF40's for $299. And they are quite
probably VF35's to boot.
How about an NGC MS63 RB for $465? Well worth the extra 110 bucks over a raw
and dubious E-Bay problem child.
PCGS MS66's are availiable for the low price of near 4 grand.
"hey dude--check this penny out--I only paid 4 grand for it!"
;-)

Old October 8th 05, 11:35 AM
Larry Louks

let the group know:
I've had a problem with this seller, so I have been watching his coins,
waiting to see if the roll I returned will show up again.

I'm glad that I took the time to dig back through the completed auctions
that I've participated in since joining eBay nearly five years ago. About
two years ago, I bought a gorgeous toned Morgan (NGC MS64) from who I
thought was this seller. But I see now that it wasn't him...

Larry