$1,560

Old October 6th 04, 12:17 AM
Alan Williams

Default $1,560

That's the approximated face value of all the nickels I searched before
finding my very first 1950 (P) Jefferson this week.

I had to check the backrooms of the orphanage to be sure my memory was
accurate, but this is *it* , the very first 1950 Jeff I've encountered
in the wild. ;-) I guess if you were a wild-eyed optimist you'd note
that there have been 31,199 *non* 1950 (P) nickels.

So, assuming that more half the original mintage still circulates, say 5
million, (just to have a number, and I'd think that's a wildly
optimistic guess) to snag all the remaining ones you'd need to search
$7,800,000,000 worth of coins. With no repeaters. You might be a
while. ;-)

Alan
'Dobac's got nuttin on me'
Old October 6th 04, 01:06 AM
Brian

Wow! How much do you search on average every week? Have you found any
error coins just by searching bank rolls?

I'm still waiting for a 1967, although I've only searched about $150.

Here's my total findings, as of this week:

1939 (120,627,535) x2
1940 (176,499,158) x3
1940-D (043,540,000)
1941 (203,283,720) x2
1943-P (271,165,000) x2
1946 (161,116,000)
1948 (089,348,000)
1953 (046,772,800) x2 !!!
1953-D (059,878,600)
1954 (047,917,350) x2 !!!
1954-D (117,183,060)
1955-D (074,464,100)
1956 (035,885,384)
1956-D (067,222,940)
1957 (039,655,952)
1957-D (136,828,900) x2
1958-D (168,249,120) x5
1959 (028,397,291) x2 !!!
1959-D (160,738,240) x4
1960-D (192,582,180) x4
1961 (076,668,244) x2
1961-D (229,342,760) x5
1962 (100,602,019)
1962-D (280,195,720) x6
1963 (178,851,645) x2
1963-D (276,829,460) x6
1965 (136,131,380) x5
1966 (156,208,283) x4
1968-S (103,437,510)
1968-D (091,227,880) x2
1968-S (103,437,510)
1969-D (202,807,500) x8
1969-S (123,099,631) x2
1970-S (241,464,814) x4
1971 (106,884,000) x2

Old October 6th 04, 01:29 AM
Alan Williams

Brian wrote:

Wow! How much do you search on average every week?

I had been doing $40/month, two sets of 400, but I started to pick up
the pace at the first of the year in anticipation of the design change.

Have you found any
error coins just by searching bank rolls?

Yes, but most of them have been Lincolns. The two most outstanding were
a blank planchet and a die break that left a cud on the date of a
Zincoln. The only Jeff 'error' is what I've been calling a damaged
planchet, though it might well be a struck-through, some sort of
inclusion now missing on the coin. It has three parallel 'ditches' on
the face, but the design is present in the recesses.

I'm still waiting for a 1967, although I've only searched about $150.

You are due. ;-) I'm on the verge of finishing a roll of 40, so it's
currently a frequency of 1/800 for me.

Here's my total findings, as of this week:

1939 (120,627,535) x2
1940 (176,499,158) x3
1940-D (043,540,000)
1941 (203,283,720) x2
1943-P (271,165,000) x2
1946 (161,116,000)
1948 (089,348,000)
1953 (046,772,800) x2 !!!
1953-D (059,878,600)
1954 (047,917,350) x2 !!!
1954-D (117,183,060)
1955-D (074,464,100)
1956 (035,885,384)
1956-D (067,222,940)
1957 (039,655,952)
1957-D (136,828,900) x2
1958-D (168,249,120) x5
1959 (028,397,291) x2 !!!

That's outstanding! Let me stand next to you at the roulette wheel in
Vegas.

1959-D (160,738,240) x4
1960-D (192,582,180) x4

The 1960 is tougher than most people would believe, I'm averaging
1/1600.

1961 (076,668,244) x2
1961-D (229,342,760) x5
1962 (100,602,019)
1962-D (280,195,720) x6
1963 (178,851,645) x2
1963-D (276,829,460) x6
1965 (136,131,380) x5
1966 (156,208,283) x4
1968-S (103,437,510)
1968-D (091,227,880) x2

Just finished a roll of 40, now searching for #41.

1968-S (103,437,510)
1969-D (202,807,500) x8
1969-S (123,099,631) x2
1970-S (241,464,814) x4
1971 (106,884,000) x2

I hope you're enjoying the safari through the nickel population as much
as I am!

Alan
'the Frank Buck of Numismatics'
Old October 6th 04, 03:35 PM
Randy Thompson

Alan Williams wrote in message ...

I started collecting in 1974 with Jeffersons. I went through a lot of
rolls back then trying to fill my set. Even back then I can only
recall finding one 1950. It was a nice VF-XF and I couldn't get that
thing turned over fast enough to look for a mintmark.

The 1960 is tougher than most people would believe, I'm averaging
1/1600.

You are right about that, at least for the Philadelphia issue. I
recall paying 15 cents for one because I couldn't find one in my roll
searches. Naturally, I found one a few weeks later. Of course, this
was more than 25 years ago before the population was so diluted down
with '80s, '90s and '00s.