(RCSD) (RCSD) prefix - was: More stamp chat?

Old June 1st 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jan Doggen

Default (RCSD) (RCSD) prefix - was: More stamp chat?

[start quote]
On the subject of "garbage", what ever happened to the concept of
prefixing a new discussion with (RCSD)? It doesn't take all that
long to type 6 characters ( especially me who types with one finger )
and gives a way to filter messages. Maybe we institute the concept
again and make it a rule. That way someone who can filter the
messages can be the moderator and just delete all that do not say
(RCSD). Before someone brings it up, it is true that if one does not
follow the rule one will lose their posting, c'est la vie. Not being
totally familiar with Newsgroup setup, is there a way to filter the
posting on send?

[start quote]

Hi Jerry (and others)

Is there still a large amount of spam in this NG? My ISP filters it so I
don't get any, that's one of the reasons I stopped adding the (RCSD) prefix.
But if there is either a) a very low signal/noise ration and/or b) a large
number of readers who would appreciate it, I'm willing to go into rehab and
train myself ;-)

Jan

--
================================================== ======================================
http://www.jandoggen.org http://www.beautyofpeople.com

Old June 1st 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Art

On Jun 1, 11:43*am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Ralphael1 found these unused words:

Greetings all. *At the moment I am seeing very little, if any, *of the
spam that infiltrated the newsgroup.
I like the concept of using the RCSD as a way around the spam. I never
did figured out to use that filter but continued to look closely at
the subject before opening.

Ralphael, the OLD one

It's like reading a magazine, check the TOC (headers) and turn to the pages
(download) the articles (messages) that interest you!

It's called being 'grown up' and 'able to make decisions' !

Thankfully you're one of those able to accept personal responsibility and
not whine that the should be 'protected' ... cradle to coffin!

Hi
As one of the original signers when the group was split into
market and discussion, I might forget to place the 6 characters in
front. I think there was more spam before the split than after. Some
of the other groups seem to have more than this one. This is also true
in some of the Yahoo groups.
"Cinderellas are for fun", Art
Old June 1st 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:34:59 -0700 (PDT), Art
wrote:

[...]

Ditto, Art. Plenty more spammage before the split.
Old June 1st 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default No prefix. Was. (RCSD) (RCSD) prefix - was: More stamp chat?

"Jan Doggen" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I see no need for the RCSD prefix anymore because I see practically no spam.
That should be the reason why the prefix was progressively abandoned.

As for switching to a moderated NG, I see no need for this either. I doubt
that the majority of participants would agree with this idea after so many
years of freedom (even if moderation is not censorship but in our case just
an unnecessary limitation). The NG has demonstrated in the many years of its
existence that the participants can manage it without big problems.

BTW, where close the two start quotes above (or am I missing something
concerning the syntax)?

--
Torquemanta, the children eater from Bern ;-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luci_fliegt/2426572233/

Old June 1st 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 21:31:31 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

"Jan Doggen" wrote in message
[...]

Censorship, supervision and control of the information and ideas that
are circulated among the people within a society. In modern times,
censorship refers to the examination of books, periodicals, plays,
films, television and radio programs, news reports, and other
communication media for the purpose of altering or suppressing parts
thought to be objectionable or offensive.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...ensorship.html
Old June 2nd 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default No prefix, no moderation. Was. (RCSD) (RCSD) prefix - was: More stamp chat?

wrote:

I see no need for the RCSD prefix anymore because I see practically no
spam.
That should be the reason why the prefix was progressively abandoned.

As for switching to a moderated NG, I see no need for this either. I doubt
that the majority of participants would agree with this idea after so many
years of freedom (even if moderation is not censorship but in our case
just
an unnecessary limitation). The NG has demonstrated in the many years of
its
existence that the participants can manage it without big problems. (VM)

Censorship, supervision and control of the information and ideas that
are circulated among the people within a society. In modern times,
censorship refers to the examination of books, periodicals, plays,
films, television and radio programs, news reports, and other
communication media for the purpose of altering or suppressing parts
thought to be objectionable or offensive.

Well, yes, it's an enumeration of the consequences of censorship. I just
wonder who can enforce censorship, excepting for governments?

For example can you, Tracy, hinder me posting anything I want against the
moderation of this NG? Actually, you cannot, only government could, by
imprisoning me if I continue asserting that this NG needs no moderation. So
catch me if you can but moderately :-)

--
Victor Manta, a participant in RCSD

Old June 2nd 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:57:31 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Ahhh, but since there's no mechanism in place to moderately moderate
you, we'll all have to take it in moderation. Obfuscation squared!

If, however, there was a moderator in place, and all Usenet messages
went through that screening, that person could limit what others see
of your posts irregardless of hospitals, institutions or other sordid
places where the government is keeping you. ;^)
Old June 3rd 08, 07:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:57:31 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

The irony of the whole is that actually I'm a government's server, who
spends his working days in a department of a medical institution that is
focused on fundamental research.

Greetings from our mice and rats, that fully deserve to be collected on
stamps, like these ones:
http://sparklette.net/archives/733/rat-stamps.jpg

Victor

Old June 3rd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jun 3, 2:14 am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:57:31 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

And a famous mouse here....