Dipping

Old July 21st 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dennis G. Rears

Default Dipping

I've heard that some dealers (mainly from the major coin advertisers) dip
coins. Supposely dipping is different from cleaning coins. A year ago I
bought a 1934-2006 Lincoln cent set in a Dansco album labeled 1909-2007. I
was missing 70 coins from 1909-1933. I've been buying them from various
dealers but wondering what the effect of dipping is. I've read that dipping
can make an ef/AU coin look UNC+. Comments?

dennis

Old July 21st 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message
I've heard that some dealers (mainly from the major coin advertisers) dip
coins. Supposely dipping is different from cleaning coins.

Dipping is a non-abrasive, chemical form of cleaning. It is doubtful that
many dealers actually engage in this practice, but often buy cleaned/dipped
coins at a dime on the dollar and then resell them for 80% of book, as they
know such coins will never get into a respected holder.

A year ago I
bought a 1934-2006 Lincoln cent set in a Dansco album labeled 1909-2007. I
was missing 70 coins from 1909-1933. I've been buying them from various
dealers but wondering what the effect of dipping is. I've read that
dipping can make an ef/AU coin look UNC+. Comments?

Dipping, if done carefully by an experienced person, can result in an
improvement in the eyes of some, but not all. Even the top-tier slabbers
will holder a dipped coin if they don't perceive any damage. Repeated
dipping, though, eventually causes the coin to cross the line to being
non-slabbable. And only coins with a fairly high silver content will dip
out properly. Dipped nickel coins, and especially dipped bronze/coppers
almost always turn ugly colors after a short time, if not immediately.

James

Old July 21st 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter

On Jul 21, 4:14 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in ...

[...]

I know 2 sorts of dips. One is simply to use a mild detergent
(Kodak's Photoflo solution comes to mind, but there are others). That
has some prospect for removing grease and dirt if used with hot water
and no rubbing, it need not affect a coin that is primarily a noble
metal.

Not all coins are primarily noble metals. The base metals are
reactive and reactions are expedited by water as it hold soluble ions
close to the metal. Many nominally silver or gold coins contain
appreciable amounts (even a majority in some cases) of base metal.

One should not be too worried about a circulated silver coin as some
corrosion reactions will proceed with time in any case (sometimes
affectionately referred to by coin enthusiasts as "toning").

With silver coins there are other sorts of dips. Typically these are
designed to dissolve silver oxides (photographic hypo is a type of
this). The more relevant oxide of silver is the sulphide (sulpher
chemistry resembles oxygen chemistry in some superficial ways).
Sulphides are less easily removed than the clorides and bromides used
in photo emulsions and the agents used are a bit more aggressive.

To remove the suphides, means dissolving entire silver sulphide
molecules. If they are sparse on a surface, you might think that even
a microscope will not see that, although there are 2 problems with
this conjecture. The first is that if they were sparse you would not
really notice the tone. The other is the agents which dissolve the
sulphides also dissolve some silver. How long they spend in the dip
and how well they are subsequently washed are also factors.

So, if you have a coin that is seriously dark, and you dip it, you
remove all of the sulphides and the silver they bond with. You will
likely remove some additional silver. The sulphide and what else is
removed happen more or less at random, so the net effect is to roughen
the surface slightly. If you started with a proof coin, well it
really isn't one any more. Such a dip cannot improve a coin. If it
is a well-worn coin it may look a little more pleasing, but in the end
there will be less silver in the coin.

What the dips will do to any base metal really can only be settled by
experiment. The base metal would likely react even more than with
silver and the washing (necessary to remove the stuff and stop and
reaction).

On worn silver coins, its hard to fault using a little detergent if
applied with care. In any other situation it seems like dipping can
only hurt. Even so, there are other solvents that I haven't tried or
mentioned; it may be that there is a better way.

Old July 21st 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,alt.life.sucks,alt.music.nirvana,alt.flame.niggers
Basement

"Non scrivetemi" schreef in
bericht tonsmith.info...
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
[...]

Admit it James Jaggers. Yer want me, and yer want me to have all yer
future children.

S.B.

You want to dip someone?

Old July 22nd 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,alt.life.sucks,alt.music.nirvana
Bob[_4_]

Basement wrote:
"Non scrivetemi" schreef in
bericht tonsmith.info...

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

[...]

I'd be willing to dip my balls in his mouth if you'll take the picture...

--

-Bob

"My fault,my failure,is not my passions,but in my lack of control of
them" -J. Kerouac

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a
philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
Old July 22nd 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,alt.life.sucks,alt.music.nirvana
Basement

"Bob" schreef in bericht
Basement wrote:
"Non scrivetemi" schreef in
bericht
tonsmith.info...

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

[...]

I think we have a deal here...

Old July 22nd 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,alt.life.sucks,alt.music.nirvana
Bob[_4_]

Basement wrote:
"Bob" schreef in bericht

Basement wrote:

"Non scrivetemi" schreef in
bericht
instonsmith.info...

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

[...]

I'm buffing my sack as we speak!

Old July 22nd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,alt.life.sucks,alt.music.nirvana
Basement

"Bob" schreef in bericht
Basement wrote:
"Bob" schreef in bericht

Basement wrote:

"Non scrivetemi" schreef in
bericht
news:f86be400ebe3495d9f1b295c7110e089@pboxmix. winstonsmith.info...

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

[...]

Bobby the Sack Buffier. Sounds like a top selling movie

Old July 23rd 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,alt.life.sucks,alt.music.nirvana
Bob[_4_]

Basement wrote:
"Bob" schreef in bericht

Basement wrote:

"Bob" schreef in bericht

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

[...]

Any movie I'm starring in will rake in the dough!

Old July 23rd 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dunkenfield

"Mr. Jaggers" wrote:

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message
I've heard that some dealers (mainly from the major coin advertisers) dip
coins. Supposely dipping is different from cleaning coins.

Dipping is a non-abrasive, chemical form of cleaning. It is doubtful that
many dealers actually engage in this practice, but often buy cleaned/dipped
coins at a dime on the dollar and then resell them for 80% of book, as they
know such coins will never get into a respected holder.

That is not always true. Even a cleaned coin gets by some times.

A year ago I
bought a 1934-2006 Lincoln cent set in a Dansco album labeled 1909-2007. I
was missing 70 coins from 1909-1933. I've been buying them from various
dealers but wondering what the effect of dipping is. I've read that
dipping can make an ef/AU coin look UNC+.

No.

Dipping Coins Dennis G. Rears Coins 9 November 20th 05 12:41 AM
Dipping Steven Coins 17 October 10th 05 11:22 PM
Is this caused by dipping? Scot Kamins Coins 7 March 17th 04 12:08 PM
What is dipping, exactly Lyntoy1 Coins 11 August 14th 03 03:41 AM
Dipping John Coins 5 July 31st 03 03:30 AM