what else do you collect?

Old June 14th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default what else do you collect?

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Bruce Remick" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"gogu" wrote in message

i never go to the very few parts of ny i don't feel safe in.
never got my pocket picked there. not like paris! they got a
cheap plastic wallet with a fake 3 dollar bill.
i feel safer in times square at midnight then anytime in
paris...

This only proves that people in the same location can have different
experiences!
I never had a bad incident in Paris, in NY on the other hand we had our
car
stereo stolen!...
In tourist-infested places you have more chances to be pickpocketed or
be subject to other forms of "light crime", no matter in what country
you
are...

The prospect of having a loaded wallet stolen in a strange country is
hardly a "light crime" to many of us, considering that most would risk
bodily harm without a thought to fight off a thief or pickpocket to avoid
being left without a wallet and/or passport.

That's *if* you are aware that somedy is stealing your wallet!
But as we all know most of the times you only understand your wallet is
not
in your pocket only when you need it to pay for something;-)
So comparatively to be shot or similar, losing a few bucks (because I
don't
think any tourist is stupid enough to carry a wallet full of cash in say,
Piazza Navona or in Piazza del Duomo!) is nothing compared to losing your
life or the life of your beloved...

If I am aware that someone is in the act of trying to steal my wallet or
wife's purse, I definitely will confront the individual in the heat of the
moment, without regard for what it might cost me healthwise. It's not so
much losing a few bucks as it is losing valuable documents, cards, passport,
etc., and even just being "violated", although I try to carry only the
necessary wallet stuff when traveling abroad.

When traveling in high tourist areas I usually wear cargo pants with many
velcro pockets, most filled with something. I keep my wallet where I can
feel it at all times and usually carry $20-$40 in loose coins & bills in a
front pocket so I never have to reach for my wallet in public. I have
wandered through all the popular tourist spots in Rome, Paris, London, etc.
and have never had a problem. Maybe that black POLICIA t-shirt helps, too.
Or that "PLEASE HELP! Dishwashing Job Wanted" sign I sometimes carry
around.

Bruce

Old June 14th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jun 13, 6:41 am, "note.boy" wrote:
"PC" wrote in message

Rome has a reputation for being rife with pickpockets as visitors are so
overcome by the place they are not as careful as the might normally be, my
brother in law had a folded map in his back pocket that he replaced each
time it was stolen, he was a victim 3 times as the thieves must have
presumed the map to be a wallet holding cash. Billy

Yeah, I can believe it of Rome based on my experiences there. I never
had my pocket picked, but I saw two pickpocket-related incidents.

The first was at the Colosseum. A man (American, judging from the
accent) was holding a woman by the arm and yelling for the police,
saying he had caught her reaching into a bag he was carrying. The
woman was upset-looking and muttered "mistake, mistake" and a few
other words in English. I don't think she was fluent in English, but
I think she was claiming that she had been next to the man, tried to
reach into her purse, and ended up with her hand in his bag by
mistake. I didn't stick around to see how it turned out once the
police showed up.

The second incident happened on the bus. (I later learned from a
guidebook that that particular bus line is notorious for
pickpockets.) At one stop, two women dressed in Gypsy fashion boarded
simultaneously, one at the front door and one at the back. One had a
baby and was carrying a bottle. They looked around at their fellow
passengers quite a bit, then got off at the next stop at the same
time. As the bus pulled away, I saw the one with a baby bottle take a
sip of its contents herself (I'm guessing it wasn't filled with
formula.) The two were so easy to spot, I kind of wonder if they
weren't part of a larger ploy: Put two obvious decoy pickpockets on
board, so that passengers instinctively check their wallets, thus
revealing their location to the better-disguised real pickpocket.
Once the decoys leave, the other passengers relax, and the real
pickpocket can go to work. Or maybe I'm being too suspicious there?

My strategy to avoid pickpockets was to always use a cloth money
belt. I always kept my passport, credit cards, and large denomination
cash in the money belt, which can go in front between my shirt and
pants. I tend to notice if someone is reaching down the front of my
pants :0 I kept a few small notes and coins in my front pockets, and
nothing at all in the back pockets. I recommend this strategy to
travelleres in Europe and anywhere else that pickpockets are likely.

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.

Old June 15th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:38:10 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a sign on the
wall where tourists queued-up to enter the Crown Jewels exhibit at the
Tower of London. The sign read: Beware of Pickpockets! (or something
to that effect)

Just about every male, when he came on that sign, patted his clothing
where his wallet was kept.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old June 15th 07, 10:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message
\ I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a sign on the

wall where tourists queued-up to enter the Crown Jewels exhibit at the
Tower of London. The sign read: Beware of Pickpockets! (or something
to that effect)

Just about every male, when he came on that sign, patted his clothing
where his wallet was kept.

Hey Phil you want to step in here? This is absolutely unnacceptable, all
this off topic discussion. Where is Phil when you need him?

Old June 15th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο "Bruce Remick" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

When traveling in high tourist areas I usually wear cargo pants with many
velcro pockets, most filled with something. I keep my wallet where I can
feel it at all times and usually carry $20-$40 in loose coins & bills in a
front pocket so I never have to reach for my wallet in public. I have
wandered through all the popular tourist spots in Rome, Paris, London,
etc. and have never had a problem. Maybe that black POLICIA t-shirt
helps, too. Or that "PLEASE HELP! Dishwashing Job Wanted" sign I
sometimes carry around.

LOL

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Bruce