Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

Old May 19th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

Default Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 May 2007 21:16:37 -0500, "Dale Hallmark" dalehall at
cableone.net wrote:

First of all the US is NOT a Democracy. We are a Federal Republic with
some
Democratic tendencies.

Wrong. Federalism is a type of democracy.

In God we Trust denotes no particular God, you have to have an agenda to
presuppose it does.

Wrong also. The motto "In God We Trust" denotes personal monotheism,

Stop it, Reid.
Stop it NOW!

I feel distinctly unclean -creepy, even- when you post something I agree
with.

ewwwwww

--
Jeff R.
(off to take a shower)

Old May 19th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall at cableone.net wrote in message

In God we Trust denotes no particular God, you have to have an agenda to
presuppose it does.
Therefore the only real group it should upset are atheist. I stress
SHOULD.

Uh huh...
(Jeepers, Dale!)

Does that presuppose that the views of atheists don't count?

"It will only upset atheists - therefore it doesn't matter."

Try reversing the situation. How about the USA print "There is no God" on
their coinage. Would that be reasonable? Only theists would (should/could)
object.

Don't bother arguing the "majority" position. Being part of a majority
doesn't make you right.

I don't see why coinage should include any articles of faith which, by
definition, disnfranchise an enormous number of tax-paying citizens.

If you think it doesn't matter, then try to promote the "There is no God"
motto.

Oh! ...and if you are not a Christian, you are not necessarily
"anti"-Christian, as suggested. I don't play Lacrosse, yet I have no
objection to the game.

--
Jeff R.
(part of moronic group 2)

Old May 19th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 May 2007 21:16:37 -0500, "Dale Hallmark" dalehall at
cableone.net wrote:
You characterize those who do care as moronic, but you appear have
little understanding of the underlying issues involving government and
less understanding of those involving religion. There's no other way
to describe this post of yours than the word you yourself used about
others: moronic. Next time instead of saying you don't care about this
issue, say you don't know. You'll come across better, more genuine.

I started to answer your statements but there is a lot of text that didn't
quite address accurately some of the statements I made. Since you can't
seem to understand exactly what I posted, I see no gain in attempting to
get you to understand. I have seen others attempt that for weeks on end and
I have
no desire to repeat a process that is doomed to failure. And like I said, I
don't enough care about
the issue to continue. I would like to say bite me but that has been done
so I won't.

Dale

Old May 19th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. E.

On May 18, 3:35 pm, Anka wrote:
On May 18, 7:23?am, Bill Dunkenfield
wrote:

1908 : Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

In a move that seemingly flew in the face of America's founding belief
in the separation of church and state, Congress passed legislation on
this day in 1908 that made the maxim "In God We Trust" an obligatory
element of certain coins. The motto dates back to the early 1860s, when
the Civil War stirred religious feelings throughout the nation.
America's heightened piety manifested itself in many places, including
the treasury department, which received countless letters requesting
that the nation's coins pay some form of tribute to God. Concerned
citizens and religious leaders found a fast friend in Treasury Secretary
Salmon P. Chase, who readily agreed that the "trust of our people in God
should be declared on our national coins." James Pollock, director of
the U.S. Mint at Philadelphia, was charged with devising a suitable
motto. After some key revisions from Chase, Pollock decided upon the
now-familiar "In God We Trust."

http://www.history.com/tdih.do?actio...tegory&id=5869

JAM

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . . ."

No state religion was established. So what's your beef?

Anka ----- weary of those who don't *get* it- Hide quoted text -

Clearly the US is promoting a monotheistic religion. Why not in "Gods"
we trust?
Seems you are the one who doesn't "get it".

Old May 19th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. E.

On May 18, 10:16 pm, "Dale Hallmark" dalehall at cableone.net wrote:
In God we Trust denotes no particular God, you have to have an agenda to
presuppose it does.
Therefore the only real group it should upset are atheist. I stress
SHOULD.

Hey genius, what about polytheists, like the Hindus?

Leave it on or take it off, I don't care but don't insult my intelligence in
arguing that either is the right or legal thing to do. How stupid can you
be?

Apparently not quite as stupid as you.

Old May 19th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. E.

cableone.net wrote:
[...]

Yet you continued. Your actions once again belie your words. Putz!

Old May 19th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"Jeff R." wrote in message
u...

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall at cableone.net wrote in message

In God we Trust denotes no particular God, you have to have an agenda to
presuppose it does.
Therefore the only real group it should upset are atheist. I stress
SHOULD.

Uh huh...
(Jeepers, Dale!)

Does that presuppose that the views of atheists don't count?

Don't read that into what I said it isn't there. What I said that the only
group that it should upset are
Atheist. I made no value judgment as to atheist views just that their side
in this instance was and is or could be a legimate one.

"It will only upset atheists - therefore it doesn't matter."

never said it or meant it and never intended to imply that.

Try reversing the situation. How about the USA print "There is no God" on
their coinage. Would that be reasonable? Only theists would
(should/could) object.

Don't bother arguing the "majority" position. Being part of a majority
doesn't make you right.

I never said majority rule was "right" in the sense of morally right or
ethically right.
But in a Democratic style Government, that is the goal isn't it, majority
rule?

I don't see why coinage should include any articles of faith which, by
definition, disnfranchise an enormous number of tax-paying citizens.

I don't either, let the majority decide :-) sorry had to say that :-)
So what is the answer, disenfranchise the majority because part of society
thinks it the right thing to do?
I'l still collect coins what ever is on there probably.

If you think it doesn't matter, then try to promote the "There is no God"
motto.

Ahhhhh but then I would have to feel strongly that it should be there like
that. I don't.

Oh! ...and if you are not a Christian, you are not necessarily
"anti"-Christian, as suggested. I don't play Lacrosse, yet I have no
objection to the game.

I am a Christian but I just think it is a lot of BS about something that
actually isn't important one way or the other.
I just felt argumentative last night, I apologize for that.

Dale

Old May 19th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
"In God We Trust" is on coinage because of political pandering and
inertia. It's a violation of the First Amendment, a violation of the
doctrine of the separation of church and state, an unconstitutional
commingling of national and religious affairs. It's a motto you'd
expect to see on the coinage of an Islamic theocracy, not a Western
democracy.

When you think of it from the perspective of a religious individual such as
Theodore Roosevelt it also panders of an indignity to the believed in diety
when you put his name on a piece of "evil" money.

I would say for it to continue, then we must then put Yahweh, and Allah and
Krishna, and Buddha, and Voodoo on the $ too. Or maybe it would be easier
to just remove any reference to religion and Masonism - ala the $1 bill
reverse.

Old May 19th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 19 May 2007 23:05:06 +1000, "Jeff R."
wrote:

Stop it, Reid.
Stop it NOW!

I feel distinctly unclean -creepy, even- when you post something I agree
with.

ewwwwww

--
Jeff R.
(off to take a shower)

That's a very thoughtful response. You shed interesting new light on
this subject.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old May 19th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Terry

"Mr. E." wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 18, 10:16 pm, "Dale Hallmark" dalehall at cableone.net wrote:
In God we Trust denotes no particular God, you have to have an agenda to
presuppose it does.
Therefore the only real group it should upset are atheist. I stress
SHOULD.

Hey genius, what about polytheists, like the Hindus?

Leave it on or take it off, I don't care but don't insult my intelligence
in
arguing that either is the right or legal thing to do. How stupid can
you
be?

Apparently not quite as stupid as you.

God could be the Christian one, Allah, Ganesh, Zeus, Jupiter etc. But not
(in English) Athena, Venus etc. There is a whole new can of worms !

TerryS