Rangoon, Burma - India Abroad - Cancels On India Stamps - Scan Included

Old May 16th 05, 09:23 PM

Default Rangoon, Burma - India Abroad - Cancels On India Stamps - Scan Included

Howdy do -

These are so-called India "Abroad" usages of Indian stamps.

http://www.adirondack-pc.com/graphics/rangoon.jpg

This seems to be an affliction that many countries had back then.
Using another country's stamps within their borders.

To quote a website:

http://www.island.net/~rjbw/IndiaUA.html

"As far as it is known, all the Indian stamps issued before 1937 can
be found used in Burma. An interesting challenge for the persistent
collector - especially if he/she avoids Rangoon!"

hehehehe... A useful resource for those collecting India and
surrounding areas.

So, for those that are collecting used stamps, check the cancel. A
gem may be under your tongs and you don't even know it.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 16th 05, 09:44 PM
Roger Smith

wrote in message

Howdy do -

These are so-called India "Abroad" usages of Indian stamps.

http://www.adirondack-pc.com/graphics/rangoon.jpg

This seems to be an affliction that many countries had back then.
Using another country's stamps within their borders.

To quote a website:

http://www.island.net/~rjbw/IndiaUA.html

"As far as it is known, all the Indian stamps issued before 1937 can
be found used in Burma. An interesting challenge for the persistent
collector - especially if he/she avoids Rangoon!"

Tracy

Burma was part of British India until independence, and no separate stamps
were issued for Burma until 1937. Burma was little different from Pakistan
in this respect.

Your two examples do not therefore, qualify as "used abroad" - although of
course Indian stamps were used for postage in many other territories in the
Indian Ocean region that never were governed as part of British India.

Regards, Roger

Old May 16th 05, 10:18 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:44:32 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

One thing, though to add to that... I may have gotten it wrong, but
Burma (as we know it), had their own Postal Circle or some such in the
late 1800s, as well as India having theirs.

"Burma used Indian stamps up until its separation from India in 1937.
Initially, Burma was part of the Bengal Circle Postal administration,
but it formed its own Circle in 1871 and used the R-number coding in
the Type 17 cancellations that came into use in 1873."

Of course, the info may be wrong, but the web site seems pretty
convincing.

Used abroad may seem like something not attached to India. That's the
connotation I've always used. At the web site, it seems anything
outside of India proper.

Anyway, there's a lot of work that can be done on stamps of this type.
I also have some India stamps cancelled in Pondicherry, which was
under French influence at the time. So, it seems mixing and matching
was the flavor of the day.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 16th 05, 10:33 PM
Roger Smith

wrote in message
On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:44:32 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

All this is a fascinating subject for those with the resources to do it
justice. Pondicherry was of course a French colony until 1954 so Indian
stamps used there before that date could arguably be considered as "used
abroad" but in this part of the world nothing is ever clear-cut.

Regards, Roger

Old May 16th 05, 11:29 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:33:46 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Yup. Agreed. One can look out for cancels when one sorts out stamps.
I have a HUGE bunch of India to look over and I'll be on guard for
this type of cancel in the future. Newer stamps, past say 1950 would
yield little because of the blurred cancels. Can anyone decipher any
of it? Not only that, but much of the postal systems in place used
distinct country postage about that time. Maybe some cross-border
Pakistan / India blurring...

Maybe Victor or Blair would know, but when did India join the UPU? Or
does / did that matter, in this case?

This just opens up yet another can of worms when dealing with older
stamps. A fun one, nevertheless. :^)

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 17th 05, 03:35 AM
Jay T. Carrigan

Sometimes it works the other way around. I just sold
this Portuguese India (Scott 9) with a BOMBAY postmark -
http://www.jaypex.com/sales/PI/PI010.jpg.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:33:46 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:44:32 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

m...

Old May 17th 05, 04:33 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 02:35:56 GMT, (Jay T.
Carrigan) wrote:

Sometimes it works the other way around. I just sold
this Portuguese India (Scott 9) with a BOMBAY postmark -
http://www.jaypex.com/sales/PI/PI010.jpg.

Nice! That was the time period where the Portuguese official were lax
in sending their cancel devices to Macao. In fact, they kept the 1st
issues of stamps like the one you scanned, in a drawer for many years
because of the "laxness".

Interesting to learn this stuff firsthand, by seeing some of it
instead of just hearing about it / looking at others collections all
the time!

Per the P. India stamp, those suckers have to be some of the hardest
to deal with...

Thanks!

In article ,

says...

wrote:

wrote in message
On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:44:32 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

om...

Old May 17th 05, 05:53 PM
Blair (TC)