First success and display ?

Old November 26th 03, 04:08 PM
LJinFLA

Default First success and display ?

We've had our first success! My son received a personalized letter from our
state senator! Very nice!

I've been lerking for about a week now. This is a exciting hobby, or
business for some. I like reading the success stories.

I was just wondering what those of you folks that do not sell autographs do
with all your autographs. At face value this may sound like a stupid
question, but I'm really serious. We intend to frame and hang our
autographs on the kid's bedroom walls, but what do you do with yours?
Do you keep them in a book? Do you have a file system for them? Do you
display them, because it sounds like some of you have collected a lot of
them? Do you meet with other collectors in a club, or something where you
can share looking at them? What's the best way to store them?
All Good Wishes,
LJ

Old November 26th 03, 04:25 PM
DebSer5

We've had our first success! My son received a personalized letter from our
state senator! Very nice!

Congrats! Who was it?? Was it the senator that represents the whole state of
Florida or just certatin sections? There are 2 kinds of senators.

I was just wondering what those of you folks that do not sell autographs do
with all your autographs. At face value this may sound like a stupid
question, but I'm really serious. We intend to frame and hang our
autographs on the kid's bedroom walls, but what do you do with yours?
Do you keep them in a book? Do you have a file system for them? Do you
display them, because it sounds like some of you have collected a lot of
them? Do you meet with other collectors in a club, or something where you
can share looking at them? What's the best way to store them?
All Good Wishes,
LJ

I keep mine in a book with plastic covers over each autograph. My local library
has an area where people can display there collections, so I have been thinking
about doing that. A lot of time, I find myself flipping through my autograph
collection, because I'm pretty obsessed with collecting. Keep sharing your
successes, everyone loves to hear them.

Justin
Old November 26th 03, 05:00 PM
dahoov2

Opps, left eye fogged. thought you said bathroom! PHew.... Read the
posts backwards too... anyway, when putting them in the bedroom do
something first... go into the room and mark the wall with a pencil in
the morning and in the afternoon where the sunlight reaches on both
sides and do NOT put your autographs there! Sunlight is the other
enemy of autographs. It fades and yellows them.

Also, when framing, make sure you do put a matte on them and that the
matte is acid free. Keep out of humidity too or they also stick to
the mattes and be ruined. Ever try to remove a photo from glass or
the plastic sheet in your wallet only to realize you can't? that is
why the acid free and the no humidity. my husband had a photo in his
wallet and by the wallet on men being in their back pockets, it gets
warm from their butts... laugh all you want, but true! This causes
the photo to stick to the plastic and not come off. Likewise we had a
photo upstairs in a frame of my husbands brother's wedding. The ONLY
photo we had of him and he's now passed away. it stuck to the glass
because no matting and it was unsalvagable.

So remember... no humidity, no sunlight, acid free mattes and one more
tip... if you have a poorly insulated outer wall.... if you put
anything with a wood frame and glass on it and live in a climate which
goes to extreme, over time your wood frame will contract and expande
and put pressure on the glass and that could crack, ruining your item.
Odd to mention this, it's not that common, but put your hand on your
outer wall in the winter and if very cold, be careful!!!!!

Old November 26th 03, 05:25 PM
Bcoton

Dahoov is absolutely right...when in doubt ACID FREE.

I keep mine in scrapbook albums (acid free natch) so I count mount 4x5/index
cards as well as 8x10. I keep a file with
photographs/stamps/envelopes/addresses and etc and enter everything in a DB on
my computer.

Sometimes I obtain autographs for gifts...those I mount and frame since the
person is not likely to be a collector.
Old November 27th 03, 06:25 AM
LJinFLA

Ok, first off, the senator was only our district one, but the kids are
excited because he sent my son a personal letter telling him he was out of
pictures, but to come by his office anytime and he'd be happy to have one
taken with him. This gave the kids the encouragement to send away more
requests.

Second, I do some scrapbooking so I'm aware of acid free products - thanks
for reminding me though.

Thank you also, for the tips and tricks regarding humidity. I did have to
giggle a little, because of the bathroom mis-read.. However, we live in one
of the most humid areas of the U.S. - Florida. You know, surrounded by
water on three sides, not to mention the Everglades! It is a legitimate
concern. I keep the humidity down with the air-conditioning I run almost
all of the year, but there are quite a few people I know that do not use the
AC like I do and I can see why keeping your autographs dry could be a
problem for them.

Thanks for the marking on the wall and sunlight instructions...I would have
never thought of that!
LJ

I do some scrapbooking so I'm aware of acid free paper and plastic sleeves