Rockola CD8B cd playing mech errors

Old March 31st 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Vic

Default Rockola CD8B cd playing mech errors

Rockola CD8B was working fine, played it yesterday. This morning tried
to play a CD I just burned on my computer and it would not play.

I cleaned the opto, removed and reseated connectors (I've found this
advanced electronics technique to fix a lot of problems on my pinball
machines).

Tried several CDs, no play. Re-initialized Cds in the drum, still no
play. Going into service mode, I get the message - "errors present in
disc playing mechanism".

Does anyone know how to further diagnose this error, or have any
suggestions. Or, possibly just purchasing a new CD mechanism?

Thanks for any advise.
Vic in Central FL

Old April 2nd 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Vic

On Mar 31, 11:14 am, "Vic" wrote:
Rockola CD8B was working fine, played it yesterday. This morning tried
to play a CD I just burned on my computer and it would not play.

I cleaned the opto, removed and reseated connectors (I've found this
advanced electronics technique to fix a lot of problems on my pinball
machines).

Tried several CDs, no play. Re-initialized Cds in the drum, still no
play. Going into service mode, I get the message - "errors present in
disc playing mechanism".

Does anyone know how to further diagnose this error, or have any
suggestions. Or, possibly just purchasing a new CD mechanism?

Thanks for any advise.
Vic in Central FL

No bites on my request. So I will try again - for those more familiar
with troubleshooting and repair on this juke:

I've found that the disc player is a Philips CD PRO, and have located
a source to purchase a replacement. I don't want to spend $300 on a
new player if further diagnosis might find my computer is shot, or
something else is wrong. Do these players go bad often and need
replacement? Are they easily misadjusted during lens cleaning? I bet a
haven't played more than 1000 songs on this particular machine since
I've had it - seems like it shouldn't have quit on me this soon.

Thanks again for any advice.

Old April 2nd 07, 07:41 PM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Vic,

Most likely your player has died. HOWEVER, one would be wise to check the supply voltages to it first. Depending on the age of your machine, you may be merely experiencing dried up capacitors and or failing semiconductors on the P.S. to the player.
Old April 3rd 07, 01:11 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Apr 3, 4:35 am, "Vic" wrote:
On Mar 31, 11:14 am, "Vic" wrote:

[...]

Im not experienced with the ROCK OLA, but in the Rowe machines the
+9vdc supply (that powers the CD-Pro player along with other things)
is critical. So much so, that when Rowe started to sell the CD pro
upgrade kit for older CDM3/4 machines, that they included a new power
supply board that had a raised output voltage of 9vdc.

The Rowe system also has a "CDM-motor" signal going to the CD-pro
player (from memory) too, that might disable the players motors, and
should be checked just in case it isnt being activated by the rock-ola
machine.

AS such, I would check the supply voltage to the player in the rock-
ola as well as any connections.

It isnt unusual for these players to fail, but generally they are
pretty good.

Another thing you can check is that the spindle is turning freely, I
have seen in the past where these have gone too low down the motor
shaft, until they bottom out and hit something, and then cant turn.
Also the disc might be scraping on the plastic housing thats around
the spindle, and this is again stopping it rotating.

if the spindle has just gone too low, it can be carefully raised on
the shaft with a couple of small screwdrivers etc (after removing the
plastic cover that surrounds it)

if this is the case, or the motor is simply just stuffed, replacement
spindle motors can be bought for a few $ from WES components.

$300 is a bit much for a player, I would try this webpage where the cd
pro 2 (which is the best of the cd-pro series, and the only one I
would recommend you use) is only $160US.

http://www.goestores.com/catalog.asp...eptID=20061 3

Old April 3rd 07, 03:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Vic

--
DRebber

Thanks, guys. This one was manufactured in 2001, so I doubt the caps
are bad.
I'll check the supply voltages first, and also try to readjust the
spindle. Today I found a nice .pdf file which shows how to do this.
Thanks for the link on the cheaper priced CD pro, also! I'll give a
follow up on what I've found.
Vic

Old April 7th 07, 02:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Vic

I was unable to adjust the spindle or hub on the player - though it
was turning smoothly and free of obstruction.

So, I went ahead and ordered the CD PRO2 player from the website Ken
sent me to.

It came in today and I installed it, after turning off power and
unplugging the machine. When I turned the jukebox on, the display did
not activate, and the drum did not rotate as it should when power is
applied.

Now, I'm in worse shape than before. At least before it booted up
properly, and attempted to play a cd, then just put the cd back in the
drum. Now, I get nothing. I then disconnected the new player and tried
the old one, same symptoms.
Then I disconnect the player entirely, and the digital display came
up, and the menus worked. But, I got an "error M04" mechanism
failure.

I will call the guy who sold the new Anyone know of a juke repair
place near Orlando? Brady distributors does not show Rockola as one of
their brands.

Thanks again,
Vic

Old April 7th 07, 10:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Apr 7, 11:26 am, "Vic" wrote:
[...]

Did you put the plugs to the CD-PRO player in the right places ?
(right way too). I did make a mistake with ROWE CD PRO player
connectors, (i think that there are 2 of them that are 4 way or
something like that) this caused smoke to come from somewhere inside
the mech-control unit after a few seconds. I switched off incredibly
fast, put the connectors on the right way, and all was fine (there was
no damage done to player or juke).

Whatever got shorted during this stuff-up of mine might be better
protected in your rockola (it might simply shut down under this
condition and appear "dead" as you described). From the sound of it,
if you had a problem with putting the connectors in the right place,
and you reconnect it now, after thoroughly checking first, it probably
will come on and work.

Failing this, it sounds like something somewhere in there is getting
short circuited etc and power is being disconnected by the system

Old April 7th 07, 11:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Vic

On Apr 7, 5:01 am, "kreed" wrote:
On Apr 7, 11:26 am, "Vic" wrote:

[...]

short circuited etc and power is being disconnected by the system- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the CD Pro2 is physically the same size as my old unit. Plugged
them in exactly the same location, and it passed the smoke test. In
fact, these ribbon connectors will not fit in any different plugs.
They just won't fit incorrectly, or upside down, etc.

The "audio" and "power" cables are labeled as such on both units, but
the "comm" or CD player cable on my player is not labled as such on
the new player, but it is in the same location and the comm cable fits
there. So, the connectors appear to be duplicated. The exception is,
there is an added ribbon cable connector on the "end" of the pro2
player (right side, looking at it). I noticed this new connector
later, and it is labeled "flash". Seems to me that this CD Pro2 may
not be a plug and play replacement for my Rockola - and there is a
possibility it was just a bad unit and screwed up my computer. (?)
Because now I am worse off than before. The power supply fuses are all
still good, all voltages show up as good, too.

As it turns out, I am going away for a few weeks to New Hampshire.
When my new player came via UPS yesterday, I noticed ABJukebox Repair
was located in New Hampshire. He's about 20 minutes from where I will
be staying! So, I will take both players with me, and have him take a
look at both of them.

Thanks for staying with me on this problem.

Old April 7th 07, 01:01 PM
burnedfingers burnedfingers is offline
Member

Location: Midwest

I own a Rock-ola CD-8b unit and had the same problems this week. The problem was solved by disassembling the CD pro player. I cleaned and lubed the sled slides and all is 100% now.
Old April 7th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Vic

On Apr 7, 8:01 am, burnedfingers burnedfingers.
wrote:
I own a Rock-ola CD-8b unit and had the same problems this week. The
problem was solved by disassembling the CD pro player. I cleaned and
lubed the sled slides and all is 100% now.

--
burnedfingers

Before you fixed it, did just the lights come one when you turned it
on and no digital display? Or did the drum rotate and setup correctly?
Mine has done both, so wondering how similar your problem was.
Currently, mine will not boot up and go into Service mode unless I
unplug the CD player ribbon cable.