New ANA Member

Old August 26th 04, 09:26 PM
Numismatist

Default New ANA Member

Just got my latest copy of "Numismatist" today and noticed that in the new
members category on page 89, an entry for Connecticut, Philip DeMayo Jr. I have
3 things to say.
1) Welcome aboard Phil
2) About damned time you joined!
3) Just say no to counterfeits.

All the best to ya Phil
Old August 26th 04, 11:15 PM
Phil DeMayo

"Dale Hallmark" wrote:

Well you had a nice set of modern commemoratives that's for sure.
Rebuild or explore a totally new area? That would be my dilemma.

I'm not exactly sure where I'll concentrate my efforts, but I doubt it will
involve modern issues. I had previously purchased and broken open every proof
set from 1952-2000 and every mint set from 1959-2000 and purchased singles for
many of the earlier years. So most of my modern sets (Jeffersons, Roosevelts,
Washingtons and Kennedys) were either complete in proof and UNC....or darn
close (the Washingtons, of course, being the most incomplete). I still have all
of the Lincolns from the Proof and Mint sets....maybe I'll donate them to a
certain Lincoln Cent Orphanage ;-)

Modern commems....been there, done that as well. As you may remember I had a
complete set of UNC and proof halves and dollars through the year 2000. I had
also started collecting the gold commems with 9 purchased before I started
selling.

Luckily, I had purchased all of today's more expensive issues directly from the
Mint at issue price. Repurchasing those coins now would take money that could
be of more use elsewhere.

As you may also remember, the vast majority of my stuff was in Eagle holders
and albums. My favorite album to take out and look at was an 80 coin album that
contained my Franklin set and what I called a "short set plus" of UNC Walking
Liberty Halves.

A complete set of UNC and proof Franklins consists of 49 coins leaving 31
spaces open in an 80 coin album. I decided to fill those spaces with 1934-1938
Philadelphia Mint Walkers and a complete run of 1939-1947 P-D-S. That took up
30 of the 31 open spaces so I filled the first space in the album with an extra
1942-P with the reverse displayed.

Through carefull eBay shopping, all of the proof Franklins exhibited at least a
moderate cameo. All of the early UNC Franklins were purchased slabbed and
cracked out. The only empty spaces in that album when I started selling were
the 1950 and 1951 proof Franklins and the 1939-S Walker.

I will probably rebuild that set....I miss it.

Silver Eagles....not sure. With the exception of the 1995-W (damn you Phil
Diehl) I had a complete set through 2000. Still a pretty coin and may be worth
re-assembling the set.

Ike dollars....My set was complete including the Type IIs. I hated that set and
I'm glad it's gone ;-)

Susies....unfortunately I still have those, but need the Type II proofs to
complete the set.

Mercury dimes...I hadn't started collecting these and they remain a very good
possibility.

Buffalo nickels....I had only just purchased two UNCs before I started selling.
I still have them and will probably put together a nice partial uncirculated
set.

Morgan dollars....ahhh, maybe. At one time I had 50 different dates and
mintmarks in UNC from a list of 80 (was shooting for another 4 page Eagle
album) that I figured I might be able to eventually afford. If I do start to
repurchase Morgans I will probably leave them slabbed this time and put them in
an Eagle album for slabs.

Peace dollars....most definitely as I really like the coin, though I wish they
had a higher relief. I had 18 of the 24 issues in grades of MS-63 to
MS-65....with the majority in MS-64. Most were in NGC slabs and I had planned
on eventually crossing the handfull that weren't to NGC slabs. A complete set
of NGC slabbed Peace dollars would look really impressive in an Eagle album for
slabs.

Classic commems.....I have a feeling I'll be concentrating heavily on
these....also leaving them slabbed this time. I had accumulated about 30 of
them before selling, although about 10 of those were BTWs and
Washington-Carvers. I'll probaly shoot for a Type Set this time.

I'd also like to get me some of them St. Gaudens gold pieces, both the $10 and
$20 issues. I'll be going out to buy my lottery tickets in about 20 minutes and
I'll be doing a lot of praying before tonight's drawing ;-)

Welcome back to the ANA, I don't suppose you got your old number by any
chance?
Always wondered how that would play out.

Nope...brand new number

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old August 26th 04, 11:54 PM
John Carney

"Phil DeMayo" wrote

Through carefull eBay shopping, all of the proof Franklins exhibited at

least a
moderate cameo. All of the early UNC Franklins were purchased slabbed and
cracked out. The only empty spaces in that album when I started selling

were
the 1950 and 1951 proof Franklins and the 1939-S Walker.

I will probably rebuild that set....I miss it.

I remember seeing your photos of that set. I can see why you miss it.
Franklins were the first set
I started working on when I returned to the hobby. It was the set I almost
finished as a 12 year old, and
gave me tremendous satisfaction to complete it, in much higher grade, as an
adult.

I'm glad to hear things are going better for you Phil. The best of luck.

John

Old August 27th 04, 12:17 AM
Jim Wild

Now that coins are being copied, that is a compliment our hobby.
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I wish I was Brett Favre. But you can't have everything.

Old August 27th 04, 12:23 AM
Dale Hallmark

"John Carney" wrote in message

"Phil DeMayo" wrote

[...]

The first coins I collected after returning to the hobby were the modern
commemoratives, well
not counting State Quarters anyway :-) Both were totally new areas that I
had never collected
before of course. When I quit in the mid to late 1980's it was the
Washington Silver Quarters
and the Large Cents that were my main focus.

It really bothered me to see Phil sell his commemorative set. It also
really bothered me that his low point in
finances coincided with one of mine. So I could not help us both out by
buying a few. With my last purchase that set is now at 73 examples. Won't
finish anytime soon but I will finish it :-)

Dale

Old August 27th 04, 02:25 AM
AnswerMan2

Welcome back, Phil. As always, if I can be of help, don't be afraid to yell.

Regards,

Alan Herbert - ANA Governor
(And, yes, I am going to run for the board next year.)
Old August 27th 04, 05:40 AM
Phil DeMayo

"John Carney" wrote:

I remember seeing your photos of that set. I can see why you miss it....

While the coins now belong to another RCC'er, I still have the picture from the
eBay auction:

http://members.aol.com/flip1948/coins/franks.jpg

I'm glad to hear things are going better for you Phil. The best of luck.

Thanks....my landlord is also happy ;-)

Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits

THE BECKETT DEALER COMMUNITY SHOWS TRUE COLOURS BECKETTMPDEALER Card discussions 4 December 4th 04 08:47 PM
Interesting Beckett Dealer talk. BECKETTMPDEALER Card discussions 5 November 16th 04 10:33 AM
New ANA Member Larry Louks Coins 15 December 11th 03 06:15 PM
CONTEST .... Name the new family member. beta9 Coins 52 August 29th 03 05:51 PM
New Member!! Michael R Coins 44 August 14th 03 01:41 PM