New Here

Old December 4th 05, 01:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default New Here

Well, I admit to being a pen newbie. I have always loved to write with a
fountain pen, even those school pens we used to use many years ago. Then I
got sidetracked with the ease of ball points. But nothing will ever compare
to the fine nib of a fountain pen. I hope to learn a lot from all of you
and perhaps make good decisions about my future purchases.

Vickie

Old December 4th 05, 04:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Welcome Vickie. I'm fairly new here too ("added" this group to my daily
visit in Nov. '05). I've used fountain pens for a while. Once my
collection (if you want to call it that) started to grow, I wanted to know
more. For the most part, I find this message group to be fairly quiet
(occasional "stop-in's). One 'site suggested here though I've been
frequenting more often: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com

Enjoy.

Paul

Old December 4th 05, 08:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

also, go to www.pentrace.com

Old December 5th 05, 01:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Welcome to the fountain pen world,

There are a ton of sites, networks, and clubs, and soceity's that do
nothing but talk about fountain pens, while alot of them end up being
marketing places, let's face it, people need to buy pens, and people need to
sell them. However, there is also port holes into history, and pen
evolution, and some really great pens!. Tons of fun, and we are all doing
our part to give the fountain pen it's chance as the best writing instrument
in the known world.

We are mostly collectors, however we tend to use most of our collection
items. If you really want to set it on collecting pens, research the item
you wish to buy.

Every single list, and post board on the net should be your first thing to
do, you have the top 3 already :0)

Now for my marketing slot!

Ultra Collections has set out to "start people off" in collecting fountain
pens.
However, we always welcome the pros...

25% off everything just for you Vickie at www.ultra-collections.com

Darrell Seymour-Howell
eBay.com ultra-collections (Positive feddback at 99.8%)
eBay.ca ultracollect ( Positive feddback at 99.2%)

Old December 5th 05, 01:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Vickie Durham wrote:
Well, I admit to being a pen newbie. I have always loved to write with a
fountain pen, even those school pens we used to use many years ago. Then I
got sidetracked with the ease of ball points. But nothing will ever compare
to the fine nib of a fountain pen. I hope to learn a lot from all of you
and perhaps make good decisions about my future purchases.

Vickie

Hi Vickie, and welcome,

Jim Mamoulides has a commercial site with a number of articles about
pens.
http://www.penhero.com/

He also has one of the best collections of links for pen sites of
all types.
http://www.penhero.com/PenBookmarks.htm

My advice is to explore and enjoy. Come back here with questions or
try a board that seems to fit your style.

HTH,
Mark Z.
Old December 5th 05, 06:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Vickie Durham" wrote in message
link.net...
Well, I admit to being a pen newbie. I have always loved to write with a
fountain pen, even those school pens we used to use many years ago. Then

got sidetracked with the ease of ball points. But nothing will ever

compare
to the fine nib of a fountain pen. I hope to learn a lot from all of you
and perhaps make good decisions about my future purchases.

Vickie

Hi Vickie,

Welcome to acp-p. It is a quiet group but still a good starting point, IMO.
And there's no reason you can't ask questions on several groups. There is
*some* overlap but there are quite a number of people who frequent one group
only while the others they may visit from time-to-time. You can see by my
sig that I'm partial to The Fountain Pen Network (FPN) which is an IPB-based
group.

Along those same lines, Rambling Snail is very good. Others have already
mentioned Pentrace, a boardhost group. And Zoss, the mailing list. One
remaining resource is Lion & Pen which is focused on pen history but of
course, covers other areas.

Welcome to the rather odd world of the fountain pen addict. I think you
will find that there are many benefits to fountain pen use, not the least of
which is lessening the strain on the hand when writing. But there are
disadvantages as well, which is the added strain on one's pocket book if you
get too carried away.

I hope you'll check out FPN (I'm a member of the Admin Team there so it is
my primary hang-out) and make it at least a regular stop on your on-line
trips through pendom.

Best,
KCat

For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

Old December 5th 05, 06:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Vickie Durham" wrote in message
link.net...
Well, I admit to being a pen newbie. I have always loved to write with a
fountain pen, even those school pens we used to use many years ago. Then

got sidetracked with the ease of ball points. But nothing will ever

compare
to the fine nib of a fountain pen. I hope to learn a lot from all of you
and perhaps make good decisions about my future purchases.

Hi, Vickie.

Like you, I used a fountain pen in jr high, then switched to bps in high
school. Switching back to fp in college then to rbs at work for awhile until
coming full circle back to fps. My collection consists of fps that I like to
use.

The best advice I can give at this point is buy what's comfortable. Take
some of your own paper with you when you go shopping and try out the grip,
weight and balance, with and w/o posting the cap. For long writing sessions,
you're likely to find that lightweight pens are the best. Don't forget to
google this group for comments about specific pens in which you may be
interested.

Welcome to the group!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old December 8th 05, 01:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Hi Vickie,

Sorry I didn't give you a proper welcome!

I can't say more than has been said already. I am sure you will enjoy
the FP world, as we are lots of fun (except, of course, for people who
are no fun). I am Satrap the Normal, she of Orangeness. Orange hair,
orange ink, and a Starbucks espresso. Ahhhh, life is good.

I haven't been on the boards much because hubby and I had 2 bad auto
accidents, and then we are now taking care of my father (long distance)
who is ill. Dad IS making progress. Anyways, soon, we shall return to
my native Chicago (where they have zillions of 24-hour Starbucks), the
city where you can vote 5 times for the same person!

I learned to use FPs in elementary school, shortly after we learned
cursive writing (remember those green cards over the chalknoard?
Sister Theogene prayed to those things like they were the patron saint
over penmanship). I used to love that Sheaffer pen with the Peacock
Blue ink (turquoise is my fave colour, but orange makes *such* a
statement). Didn't use Fps much until decades later, when hubby gave
me a Waterman Executive for our first Christmas together (we got
married on my birthday, December 7, 1986 :-)). Since 1986, I have
*acquired* er, ah, welllllll.....a few FPs. Mostly Waterman and
Parker, but I have ventured over to the Sheaffer side, as well as
Cross. Recently, I even took to Namiki, the Bamboo. Of course, I had
to buy some Sheaffers, just in honour of the dime store that started it
all. Oh, I need to cal Jim, and order that Rainbow Prelude. Thanks
for reminding me.

Oh, don't forget the nice paper! Amalfi, G.Lalo, Clairfontaine, the
list goes on. Try em all!

My favourite pens...hmmmm. Waterman Sterling LeMan 100, Parker
Sterling Centennial, and Parker GP Centennial, rOtring Core :-)

have a great day!

satrap

Titanic cruise? I think not!
Much safer on a Ruby Yacht!

Old December 9th 05, 02:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Thank you everyone, for the warm welcome.

I admit that I am lusting after that Sheaffer Prelude Rainbow. I love the
looks.

Vickie

Old December 13th 05, 05:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

In article .com, "so what" wrote:
[snip] are no fun). I am Satrap the Normal, she of Orangeness. Orange hair,
orange ink, and a Starbucks espresso. Ahhhh, life is good.

orange pen, too? :-)

best for you & your family.

Pam @ Home

Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two exclusive concepts.