1 success???

Old November 24th 03, 06:54 PM
Barb

Default 1 success???

Linda Gray B&W PP
10/1-11/24
P.O box 5064
Sherman Oaks,Ca 91413

This is the WORST example of a preprint I have ever seen. It looks like
a Xeroxed copy of a preprinted photo. It is not even on photo paper.
Why bother to send something like that??? It's a waste of money...on
both sides
DONT WASTE YOUR STAMPS

Old November 25th 03, 04:23 AM
Bcoton

I'm sorry your experience didn't turn out well. Did you try to send her
something? Sometimes celebs will sign things that are sent but not send out
originals. Not to mention it is far more polite for you to send something
rather than ask her to put money out of her own pocket, as many in this
newsgroup have already stated. Still, better luck next time!
Old November 25th 03, 05:34 AM
Barb

I sent a TV guide cover from years ago when she was on Dallas. She (or
whoever handles her mail) did not return it.

Old November 25th 03, 06:36 AM
KellyMonro007

Did you try to send her
something? Sometimes celebs will sign things that are sent but not send out
originals. Not to mention it is far more polite for you to send something
rather than ask her to put money out of her own pocket, as many in this
newsgroup have already stated.

I sent a TV guide cover from years ago when she was on Dallas. She (or
whoever handles her mail) did not return it.

So much for being "polite"! This person was ripped off, her property stolen
(what else would you call it?). "Losing" stuff in the mail is much more
expensive for collectors than some "celebrity" sending out their own photos.

Kelly

Old November 25th 03, 06:16 PM
DebSer5

I'm sorry your experience didn't turn out well. Did you try to send her
something? Sometimes celebs will sign things that are sent but not send out
originals. Not to mention it is far more polite for you to send something
rather than ask her to put money out of her own pocket, as many in this
newsgroup have already stated. Still, better luck next time!

I know many people on this ng think sending out photos is polite and it's rude
to ask a celebrity to send out one of there own promotional photos. But I have
to disagree with this. One reason for promotional photos is to send them to
fans who write to them. It has nothing to do with being polite or not being
polite. They should be honored that you wrote to them in the first place. Many
stars don't even pay for their own promotional photos, they have the studios,
companies & sponsors that do that. And the stars that do pay for their own
photos, they either have the money to do it, or don't mind doing it.
Promotional photos are often very cheap, when bought in quantites. Sometimes I
think people take this hobby a little to seriously(I do to). Although, I must
admit I *occasionally* buy autographed photos from certain celebrities with
sell their autographs through there website.

Old November 25th 03, 06:55 PM
Gummby3

I really have to disagree here... This hinges on "the celebs owe me" line
of thinking. I have to admit that I thought that way years ago myself, but
the thinking is untrue. The only people that the celebs owe anything to is
the company that hires them to perform and the fans that pay to see them
perform (whether it's a live stage production or a movie). You are correct
that some do have promo photos, but it's wrong to automatically assume this.
If they are current hot stars, they may have company funded photos to hand
out. In my case, I like to write to more classic stars from older TV shows
and movies. A lot of them are retired or their careers aren't moving as
much as they used to in their prime. They can't afford to pay out of pocket
expenses for freebie photos or other give aways. A lot of these people
receive quite a bit a mail a week, if not per day. This can get expensive
very quickly if they give photos away for everyone. In my opinion, you have
to take this hobby seriously. You have to remember that you are writing to
an actual person and not just an image on the screen or a picture on a CD
cover. These people have their own lives that they live and families to
raise. They aren't just sitting around waiting for letters to show up. As
a collector, you have to be polite. Not just in the content of the letter,
but in the actual total request. When it comes down to it, the celeb is
doing you a favor by signing for you. I feel that the more convenient you
make the event, the better your chances of getting a success. They are
helping you out by adding their signature to your collection. You can't
expect them to also foot the bill for postage, envelopes and an item to
sign.

Please don't think that I'm jumping on you. I'm just expressing an opposing
view on the hobby. Not everyone is going to agree about everything. That's
nature. I'm just trying to provide both sides of the coin to new collectors
that may be reading this thread. I wish you continued good luck with the
hobby.

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net

"DebSer5" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old November 25th 03, 08:24 PM
dahoov2

I am with Mike on this. It's wrong for people to ask for free stuff.
If they have it, they will give it. I have gotten some b/w headshots
from some people, but I've never asked. Besides, even if there are
Promo ones available, it's only if at a certain time, under certain
agencies, if they have any left. By asking for a photo, they may feel
they have to give one even if they don't have any or can't afford it.
It's just bad manners to ask I'd say. Now on some I've hinted (I hate
to admit this). If I cannot and I mean absolutely cannot find a photo
of the project or specific thing I am looking for, I will mention
that, but I would never ask... and I'll include something else anyway.
about 10% of the ones I've done that with (maybe 20 over my 8 years of
collecting) have actually sent me something I hinted at. Most don't
have the resources.

If some here set a precedent to ask celebs all the time, that could
END their decision to sign!

Lastly, by NOT sending something, you are totally diminishing your
odds of getting a sig at all...

Old November 25th 03, 08:50 PM
Bcoton

Regarding photo expense,

I tend to write to mostly vintage/not known stars. These stars are not
affiliated with a studio and have to pay for the photographs out of their own
pocket. If I request a photo, I am usually asked to pay. It's is a mistake to
think that every celebrity has pre-paid photographs! Those that do often send
them out alongside the photos I have sent, so its a win-win situation.

I also like to send my own items because there is a better chance of having it
signed (the rude Ms. Gray not w/standing) and because I know what I am getting.
Obviously, you don't want to send something priceless. Any time I send
something out, I operate on the assumption that I may not get it back.

Old November 25th 03, 10:04 PM
DebSer5

They are
helping you out by adding their signature to your collection. You can't
expect them to also foot the bill for postage, envelopes and an item to
sign.

I understand everything you're saying and I do always include a sase. I even
send a little bit of $$ to adult stars that I write to, since I know they don't
make a lot of money and I know they have costs. A lot of the celebs I write
don't even have pics available on movie mart or other websites where you can
buy photos. I have been successful doing it my way, and if it ever becomes a
problem, I will start purchasing photos from various websites for them to sign.
I don't want to start a flame war. I don't mind to agree to disagree.
Old November 25th 03, 10:42 PM
Gummby3

Nah, no worries about a flame war from me. Like I said, not everyone is
going to agree on everything. I'm glad you're having success too.

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net

"DebSer5" wrote in message
[...]

First Success in Years! :-) Ryan R. Autographs 0 November 22nd 03 03:59 AM
Alex Borstein success (maybe) Kris Autographs 1 November 19th 03 09:50 PM
success OP Autographs 0 November 8th 03 10:06 PM
Weeks Success TRDTRIX Autographs 1 August 31st 03 04:00 PM
yay a non SW success to report Dahoov2 Autographs 1 August 4th 03 09:48 PM