Rowe CD100 problems... something new

Old June 29th 03, 09:51 AM
KLR

Default Rowe CD100 problems... something new

On Thu, 8 May 2003 20:47:01 -0500, "Spookshow"
wrote:

--------

that is just the optical switch out of alignment - and it occasionaly
jumps forward one notch. Note - this means it jumps 2 NUMBERS - as
the mech is numbered 00,02,04,06,......96,98,01,03.....etc.

----------
I haven't had a chance to delve into any of the previous suggestions (much
appreciated, BTW), but I noticed a new problem this evening that I thought
I'd throw out there as a possible further clue towards my base problem (or,
as my luck would probably have it, some new, entirely unrelated problem).
When selected a song XX,YY, the box will occasionally play XX+2,YY (same
song number, CD number plus 2). I don't have precise statistics, but let's
say about one out of every 10 plays. Could this also be related to a voltage
problem, or does it point to something else?

Thanks,
-Mark

"Spookshow" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check it out and see what I can find.

-Mark

"KLR" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 May 2003 05:33:02 -0500, "Spookshow"
wrote:

I added a new CD and did a reindex and now am having all kinds of

problems
again. In the middle of playing a CD, the CD will stop spinning and the
BOARD ERR light on the mechanism controller will come on. After a

while,
the
BOARD ERR light on the CCC will come on (presumably because the mech
controller isn't talking to it anymore) and after a while I get "OUT OF
ORDER" on the main display. If I cycle power it'll recover for a while,

but
eventually the mech controller will get another BOARD ERR and shut down
again. This once intermittent problem seems to be getting worse, and

always
seems to crop up after a full reindex. Up to now it's always gone away

after
a few days but this time seems to be worse than the others.

Could this be a problem with the CD-PRO? Is there anything simple I can
check, clean or adjust? Or should I just contact a Rowe servicer?

Thanks for any advice,
-Mark

check that the power that is getting to the mech control board is
adequate. These new CDM's are supposed to have a B+ of +9v rather
than +8v as supplied by the older type CDM 3 power supply.

To me - it sounds like the classic symptoms of voltage drop. more you
use it - the hotter a bad joint gets - and the more the resistance
rises -and the more voltage loss to the CDM - until it fails to work
properly. resting it cools down the bad joint - and resistance lowers
and thing works again for a while.

I would try measuring the voltage on the mech control board and make
sure its at least 9v.

If not - then check at the power supply - and if the voltage is normal
there (+9v or more) then you have a bad connection somewhere in
between. also the ON?OFF slide switch might be bad and need
replacing, or dry joints on the CCC board - bad connector pins etc.

"Spookshow" wrote in message
. ..
My player does say CD-PRO, and the power supply appears to have been
upgraded as well. Oddly enough, all problems seem to have vanished

over
the
past couple of days, so I guess I won't worry about it for now.

Things
do
seem to head south fast whenever I do a re-index, though. Does that

ring
any
bells out there?

-Mark

"Jon Arnold" wrote in message
If the player says "pro" on it, it was upgraded. And it is needed.

The
power supply needs to be upgraded at the same time. The un-upgraded
power supply uses two voltage regulators mounted on the outside of

the
case. The upgraded one doesn't. The regulators may or may not still

be
mounted but would not be plugged into the board. If it is not

upgraded,
that could be your problem. Even if it is, it still might be a powe

supply problem. Otherwise I would guess a computer. Unless that is,

the
mech controls board error light blinks, then I would start there

Spookshow wrote:
My Rowe CD100 is acting up. Occasionally, when I select a song it

will
refuse to play anything and after a few minutes reboot the

processor
and
go
through the RAM test and CHECKSUM and whatnot and then just sit

there.
If I
turn off the processor altogether and start over, usually it

right
itself
and play the banked selections and generally be OK for a while,

but
eventually get go back into the state where it reboots and

doesn't
want
play anything. The "BOARD ERR" light flashes when it gets messed

up. I
bought this machine used and I was told that the CD player had

been
upgraded. I haven't verified if that's true, and if it is, I

don't
know
exactly what the upgrade was. Any suggestions as to what I need

check
or
replace? I know my way around electronics, but I'm a novice when

it
comes to
jukes.

Thanks,
-Mark

Old June 29th 03, 09:51 AM
KLR

wrote:

--------

that is just the optical switch out of alignment - and it occasionaly
jumps forward one notch. Note - this means it jumps 2 NUMBERS - as
the mech is numbered 00,02,04,06,......96,98,01,03.....etc.

sorry for the multiples - Bigpond's news server has had the dick by
the look of things