Cleaning Jukebox selector and turntable mechanisms circa 1976 - Recommendations

Old February 1st 12, 08:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Cliff Tucker

Default Cleaning Jukebox selector and turntable mechanisms circa 1976 - Recommendations

Guys,

Iam cleaning the selector and turntable mechanisms on my 1977 R1-2
Cantebury.

What would be the best cleaning agent to get these mechanisms and iron work
really clean and shiny?
I have used Metho and Brasso and steel wool and CLR sparingly (worked well
on the turntable) but feel there must be something better and easier, does
anyone have any better ideas on products and methods especially on the
goldish coloured steel parts like the encoder box etc?

I dare not use CLR on the goldish tinge bits as it will remove the tinge and
turn it to silver. I use metho on the generally dirty and oily parts but I
want the casings and visible parts to shine!!

Regards everyone,
Cliff

Old February 3rd 12, 10:15 AM
Alan Hood Alan Hood is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sheffield UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Tucker View Post
Guys,

Iam cleaning the selector and turntable mechanisms on my 1977 R1-2
Cantebury.

What would be the best cleaning agent to get these mechanisms and iron work
really clean and shiny?
I have used Metho and Brasso and steel wool and CLR sparingly (worked well
on the turntable) but feel there must be something better and easier, does
anyone have any better ideas on products and methods especially on the
goldish coloured steel parts like the encoder box etc?

I dare not use CLR on the goldish tinge bits as it will remove the tinge and
turn it to silver. I use metho on the generally dirty and oily parts but I
want the casings and visible parts to shine!!

Regards everyone,
Cliff
Hi Cliff,

When I used to refurb jukeboxes of this era I used to strip down the mechanism and wash all the mechanical parts in soap and water. Once dry you could check what parts needed replacement etc.

Polish up on rebuild and lubricate as per the manual (hardly any oil at all).

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Mechanisms wayne Juke Boxes 0 July 9th 07 01:06 AM
Cleaning Seeburg Mechanisms. John Robertson Juke Boxes 4 February 12th 07 07:19 AM
Can a wallbox song selector be added to "Firebird" jukebox ? [email protected] Juke Boxes 1 February 24th 05 08:54 PM
Recommendations for shipping options available to have a jukebox shipped? David Gotto Juke Boxes 3 May 5th 04 10:39 PM
45 RPM Mechanisms - Which ones were better? Fred Juke Boxes 21 December 31st 03 01:07 AM