Advice

Old July 7th 08, 04:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default Advice

Hello,
I'm a newbie to jukeboxes but a longtime EM pinball guy. I want to
pick up a machine that plays 45's to restore for my home arcade and
need advice from experts on what maker and model would be a good
direction. I also understand vacuum tubes (I'm 50 and helped my Dad
repair our TV's when I was a kid). I'd like a machine anywhere from
the 50's to 70's that is not overly complicated to repair and is
reliable once I'm done with it. Also wouldn't mind being able to see
the records playing but not a requirement. I guess it would be nice
too if parts were readily available and not overly expensive. Oh, and
it would be good if it could go down some basement stairs that make a
180 degree turn.

I realize I've just thrown out a really broad range and I'm even
laughing at myself for what I've put down. So feel free to laugh at me
too. Definitely shows my lack of education on jukeboxes.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old July 7th 08, 05:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
pennyarcadecollector

On Jul 7, 7:14*am, wrote:
[...]

Well, couple of ?s back at you.......
Do you want mono, hifi or stereo - depending on what type of 45s you
have a preference for.....
How much space do you have to manuver with going down that flight of
stairs and around that 180 turn?
If you haven't already, you might try these two sights:
www.tomszone.com - This site is good for dimensions and weights
on the jukeboxes
www.pinballrebel.com - You have probably been here, but this is a
great reference site for pictures of jukeboxes and maybe this would
help narrow it down some, but it would seem the staircase might be an
issue that needs some attention.
Old July 7th 08, 06:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Jul 7, 12:07*pm, pennyarcadecollector
wrote:
On Jul 7, 7:14*am, wrote:

[...]

issue that needs some attention.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the speedy reply. I hadn't had my coffee when I first
posted - duh. It's only a 90 degree turn and the landing is 38x38. I
will measure to see what will fit. I know the cabs that are more
vertical will do fine but the horizontal ones might be a squeeze. I'll
make up a cardboard simulator to see what fits.
Old July 7th 08, 06:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

It looks like anything that is 40W by 38D or smaller will be fine.
Looks to me from tomszone that most jukes fall into this size range.
Old July 7th 08, 06:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

wrote:

On Jul 7, 7:14*am, wrote:

[...]

make up a cardboard simulator to see what fits.- Hide quoted text -

Obviously still not enough coffee. I don't care whether it's mono,
HiFi or stereo.
Old July 8th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Doyle

An AMI F or G 120 has a pretty small footprint. Mech is simple and reliable
once it's overhauled. Sound is fantastic. Price is reasonable. The
cabinet is actually sort of a horn enclosure. You would need to upgrade the
cartridge if you're playing stereo records.

I don't own an AMI F or G but I'd like one.

Ken D.

Old July 8th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter[_2_]

Ok, here's the BIG question!
How much are you willing to spend?
The price difference between a Seeburg model "B", which is somewhat plain,
and a Seeburg model "C", which is the jukebox usually called a "Happy Days"
jukebox (although it NEVER appeared in the show) is quite significant. They
have similar sound and mechs, but the "C" is MUCH flashier.
If you tell us that you have a certain amount that you are willing to spend
we can probably steer you better.
Also, if you can let us know where you are located we might be able to hook
you up with a juke close to you.

Old July 9th 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

For ease of repair and not complicated go with a mid 50`s Seeburg . I
like the looks of the Seeburg G best myself . Other models real close to
that one have basicaly the same insides such as the C model .
They consist of a record changer behind glass and 2 un-complicated
electronic chassis mounted to the back door . The sound quality of these
with the right cartridge is amazing

I have found if you compleatly restore a jukebox before putting it into
use it will go a long long time . The older ones sometimes like a little
oil or contact cleaning at times . These older machines seem to hold
better interest and value .

I have worked on a bunch of 70`s through mid 80`s jukeboxes . You never
know what one of these sounds like till you hear it . I had a pretty
nice smaller mid 80`s Rockola that said ``supersound`` in HUGE letters
on the front of it . Had big huge speakers too .. sounded like crap !

Old July 9th 08, 03:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Jul 7, 8:20*pm, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:
Ok, here's the BIG question!
How much are you willing to spend?
The price difference between a Seeburg model "B", which is somewhat plain,
and a Seeburg model "C", which is the jukebox usually called a "Happy Days"
jukebox (although it NEVER appeared in the show) is quite significant. They
have similar sound and mechs, but the "C" is MUCH flashier.
If you tell us that you have a certain amount that you are willing to spend
we can probably steer you better.
Also, if you can let us know where you are located we might be able to hook
you up with a juke close to you.

"Ken Doyle" wrote in message

Ken,
Since I'm going to do the sweat equity thing myself I was hoping to
get something for around $500 and I live in Indy. I usually take in
old pinballs that are in pretty sad shape and bring them back to life.
I really enjoy the restoration process so I would like to do the same
with a jukebox. But I also don't need to get into a machine that willl
cost me more in parts that what it's worth.

I would also maybe like to get one that I could hook up a remote
selector box to. I know I am showing my newbieness to the hobby but am
most grateful for the feedback given so far.

Dave

Looking for advice randiR Paper Money 0 December 15th 07 10:07 PM
Advice please [email protected] Dolls 0 April 26th 07 02:08 AM
hello, i need some advice Nick Card discussions 0 November 13th 05 07:30 AM
I need some advice. Bob Autographs 11 August 23rd 05 02:37 AM
Looking for Advice ... Texan in NY Coins 1 April 30th 04 10:40 PM