WTF is the deal with the scam group?

Old August 4th 03, 10:02 PM
Chrysta Wilson

Default WTF is the deal with the scam group?

In article , lindafl-
says...
Somebody posted a message here the other day (please forgive me not
remembering your name because I really don't know everyone here, yet) about
a (what I thought was a "new") Delphi group, Be_Aware_of_Bad_Traders, that
is for identifying scammers on ebay. Well, I tried to join and got a
message that my application would be "reviewed" (by whom, for what?) at some
point in the future and then I could access the group. Geeze, Louise. I
think this group is just TOO anal-retentive for me. I KNOW we (coin
collectors) tend to be this way, but for crying out loud, for a mailing
list? I think it is pretty weird.

Is there a reason you would judge this entire group of posters as "anal
retentive" based on the post/mailing list of one poster? Just curious.

Chrysta
Old August 4th 03, 10:09 PM
Linda

I haven't seen any posts by any posters, so I guess I don't know what you mean. I got a message from the moderator that all applications are "reviewed" and "approved" by what seemed to be a committee of sorts but may not be, I don't know. I thought the idea of the group sounded really good to me when I saw the original message and tried to join and that was what I got in response, emails from the moderator that my application would be "reviewed" on Aug. 10 before I would be "allowed" to participate. I've got 213 good Ebay feedbacks, lots of local references, but the idea of a mailing list being so picky seems more than a little odd to me.

I say, hey, let the scammers join, too, and blast the hell out of them. Why not?

Old August 4th 03, 10:28 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Linda wrote:

I think it is pretty weird.

Well, the original message referring to that Yahoo mailing list said
"You just need to have a few good trading references to join it". So it
does make some sense to check who gets in. Also, those black lists may
well result in legal trouble, at least in some countries. That would be
another excellent reason for not making such a "pillory" fully public.

Christian
Old August 4th 03, 10:28 PM
Gartogg

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:17:23 GMT, "Linda"
wrote:

I am *not* trying to pick a fight here, by the way, I have just been in mail lists for umpteen
ages and never had one do anything like this screening process before so I think it's really
weird. Your mileage may vary.

Let's put it this way: If someone who shouldn't be there gets on, it's
integrity is gone. Just once, if one person manages to accumulate 250
good feedbacks from shills, then they have to re-organize, etc. It
seems like a good thing to have insanely difficult criteria to get in.
Old August 4th 03, 10:31 PM
Linda

Why?

If the person is a scammer, what can he/she possibly post that would help them? Why are they some perceived "threat" to the integrity of the mailing list.

The responses are proving my point about anal-retentive, sorry. And I REALLY am not trying to start a fight.

Old August 4th 03, 10:51 PM
Linda

(Let me say this once more, I am *not* trying to pick a fight) You say "so it does make some sense to check who gets in." That's conclusory and you provide no support for it. Why does it "make some sense?" I don't think it does. I think a full and fair airing of truth is the only thing that exposes corruption and I've been at that (exposing corruption) a long time.

That means, the scammers have their say and show who and what they are. It's that simple. What does this group "fear" from letting scammers join it and say what they want? That's my issue.

Old August 4th 03, 11:34 PM
Yousri Ahmad

I was kidding, I agree with you. Unless there are some legal issues, they
should allow anybody to join and have their say. People can sort the good
the bad and the ugly :-)

--
Yousri Ahmad
World Mints: http://yousri.home.comcast.net

"Linda" wrote in message
I resign, then. All I'm saying is that anybody who has the *truth*, the
facts, has nothing to fear from any liar.
"Yousri Ahmad" wrote in message
et...
Too late... You already have a fight. :-)