Quantegy plant to reopen soon.

Old May 12th 05, 08:51 PM
DeserTBoB

On 12 May 2005 00:09:35 -0700, "Cartrivision1"
wrote:

I think I meant "frequency response", not dynamic range. The
Quantegy's did not seem to have the same high end response that some of
the better Maxell tapes seem to. Also, Fuji made a very good Cro2 tape
if I recall correctly, as did Denon. snip

I remember 472 needed less bias than did Maxell UDXL-II or the Denon
tapes, which were excellent. If you reduced the bias current a bit,
I'm pretty sure your top end would come back up and noise would go
down.

As far as setting the bias correctly, I own what is arguably the finest
consumer cassette deck ever produced (Teac V-8030s), snip

I'll disagree there. The best cassette decks ever made were from
Nakamichi and Denon.

and it has a nice
facility for setting both level and Bias, as well as automatic tape
type selector. I really wanted to like the Quantegy's but they ended
up being just average on the whole. snip

Your Teac model does indeed have variable bias current, but no
facility with which to test using standard 400/10KHz reference tones.
Here's how to do it:

"Run in" a cartridge, bulk erase it, then set it to the head and
record a referece tone of 400 Hz at exactly -10 VU. Note the level on
the playback amp with the meter while recording, possible only on a 3
head deck. Old 2 head decks have to be rewound and played back, a
real PITA. Change the frequency to 10 KHz, while keeping the same
output level from your oscillator. Note the dropoff or run-up of 10
KHz relative to the 400 Hz level. If the 10 KHz tone is now hotter
than -10, you're underbiased; if lower, you're overbiased.
"Overbiasing" is a pro trick used to nurse a little more headroom out
of the tape, and does not work on cassette due to saturation and lack
of HF equaliation trimming facilities. If you adjust the bias while
recording the 10 KHz tone to make it equal to the 400 Hz tone, bias
should be optimal for that partricular oxide and no other. This is
what made cassette a bitch of a format for serious users; each tape
oxide was different enough in sensitivity and bias requirements to
make a machine calibrated for one not suitable for use with another.

Sensitivity is another issue, and 472 is a little hotter than was
Maxell UDXL-II, XL-II, TDK SA or the Denon CrO2 tapes. You can set
your record amp internally to make a recorded O VU 400 Hz tone equal
to O VU on playback, but you'll need a calibrated alignment tape to do
this right, especially if you use Dolby "B". Dolby mistracking is
responsible for more frequency response problems than is biasing, and
a tape of different sensitivity than what the deck was calibrated for
by more than, say, 1 dB will cause enough Dolby mistracking to cause
high frequency response problems. This was the big advantage of dbx
over Dolby "A" and "B"...no need for a reference fluxivity, since it
was a linear 2:1 compandor scheme. However, like Dolby "A", dbx was
unlistenable without decoding, whereas "B" was a "compatable"
format...well, sort of, anyway. Dolby "B" tapes played on machines
with no Dolby decoders (like 99% of the car decks out there) will
sound artificially bright in the upper midrange, and simply "turning
down the treble" by 10 dB will make the tape sound tubby.
..
Any cassette deck made after 1981 will have a 0 VU reference of 250
nanoWebers/meter, and decks older than that are generally 160, about 4
dB lower. On most (not all) 250 nWb/m decks, "Dolby level" was 400 Hz
at a +4, although everyone had their own idea of where "Dolby level"
was supposed to be, making a service manual a must. Any recordist
serious about cassette (or any other format, for that matter) should
have a real alignment tape in their tool kit, not some fraud dupe off
of eBay. The best alignment cassettes come from MRL (still in
business), STL and Nortronics (now both gone). Head azimuth is ultra
critical on cassettes, owing to the slow tape speed, and the only way
to get a real perpendicularity reference is with a lab grade alignment
tape. Our resident fraudster, Charlie Nudo (aka 66fourdoor on ebay),
is still selling fake alignment cartridges for 8 track on ebay. They
are poor quality homebrew dubs and will screw up your machine if you
try to use them as a reference standard. He was also trying to sell
dubbed alignment cassettes, too, but he's not trying that anymore.
Hopefully, ebay will soon suspend him for selling bogus merchandise.

dB
Old May 12th 05, 08:53 PM
DeserTBoB

On 12 May 2005 07:13:41 -0700, "CAINE"
wrote:

The externally adjustable bias knob on the cassette decks is a nice
feature- but I leave it set to zero with good results. My one Technics
deck has that option. snip

Charlie Nudo, aka "CAINE", aka 66fourdoor, et al, doesn't know what
"bias" is to start with. Last year, he pooped himself by stating the
"playback bias" had to be set (see the archives). Any idiot knows
there is no such thing.

Go eat some more dog turds, Noodles!
Old May 12th 05, 09:59 PM
Cartrivision1

wrote:
I'll disagree there. The best cassette decks ever made were from
Nakamichi and Denon.

Even the later model Nak decks did not have Dolby S as my Teac does.
The Teac V-8030s originally retailed for $1100 in 1995, and this model
represented the latest in cassette technology at the time that cassette
decks were on the way out. If you look at all of the features and
specs of a Nak Dragon compared with the Teac, I am sure the Teac would
win out easily. Plus you don't have the capatability problem with
other decks with the Teac as you do with Nak decks.

and it has a nice
facility for setting both level and Bias, as well as automatic tape
type selector. I really wanted to like the Quantegy's but they

ended
up being just average on the whole. snip

Your Teac model does indeed have variable bias current, but no
facility with which to test using standard 400/10KHz reference tones.
Here's how to do it:

The Teac has an excellent facility for setting optimal bias and
sensitivity settings for each kind of cassette tape depending on both
the tape type and manufacturer. But I do think that you are right that
setting the bias a bit higher will produce better high frequency
results.

LP

Old May 13th 05, 02:16 AM
DeserTBoB

wrote:
I'll disagree there. The best cassette decks ever made were from
Nakamichi and Denon.

Even the later model Nak decks did not have Dolby S as my Teac does.
The Teac V-8030s originally retailed for $1100 in 1995, and this model
represented the latest in cassette technology at the time that cassette
decks were on the way out. snip

Rare indeed.

If you look at all of the features and
specs of a Nak Dragon compared with the Teac, I am sure the Teac would
win out easily. Plus you don't have the capatability problem with
other decks with the Teac as you do with Nak decks. snip

Interesting indeed. Probably Teac's magnum opus? I remember earlier
Teac cassette decks being similar to their semi-pro RTRs...kinda weak.
If you say this Teac beats a Nak Dragon, that's a pretty high powered
praise, indeed! The Dragon's a pretty sophisticated machine.

The Teac has an excellent facility for setting optimal bias and
sensitivity settings for each kind of cassette tape depending on both
the tape type and manufacturer. But I do think that you are right that
setting the bias a bit higher will produce better high frequency
results. snip

Hmmm, hard to say. If this model has autobias capability, it should
be able to set itself up perfectly. Like many autobias schemes,
though, internal calibration is everything. Maybe all it needed was a
little recalibration? I cannot figure out why you're getting the
results you were getting on such a capable machine when I got sort of
the opposite. By the way, increasing bias current over optimal will
kill the top end on modern tape, not raise it. Underbiased tape will
have exaggerated top end and higher third harmonic distortion up near
saturation. Overbiased tape will have a rolled off top end, low
distortion, and higher "bias noise". Does this Teac have a manual
override of the autobiasing function?

All this is probably academic anyway, since you've long since gotten
rid of 472...and there's none on the market today in most places!
Ever try TDK SA?

dB
Old May 13th 05, 02:19 AM
CAINE

If you were using a reel to reel deck, and had the choice of either
1-7/8 IPS or 3.75 IPS on the speed selector switch, which one would you
choose for the best fidelity ?

Answer: the 3.75 IPS

which is why, an 8-track cartridge sounds better than any cassette in
the universe.

cassettes have a slight reliability advantage- at first- but with time,
any cassette tape made ends up a crinkled POS mess that squeals like
hell.

once an 8-track is gone over and maintenanced properly, it will run for
another 20 years. The tape strength and durability is far superior
for the long run, over a cassette

old engineers' adage- want to make something stronger ? Make it from
better material, or make it bigger, or both.

In the case of the 8-track, it's bigger. And moves at twice the speed.

Speed is everything in analog formats. The same reason why 45's sound
better than LP's, and a clean 78 will pale a 45, in the vinyl format.

analog tape- wider is better, faster IPS is better- that 8-track tape
is basically 1/4" open reel tape with a graphite backing- stuffed in a
plastic shell- and minus one reel

Old May 13th 05, 03:29 AM
UNIVERSAL GENIUS

Man 0 man- Ebay is going CRAZY lately- I can barely keep up with the
sales ! Last month hit $2700 !!

thanks guys, could not have done it without your help thanks for
bumping the for sale threads for me...

Old May 13th 05, 07:38 AM
Cartrivision1

wrote:
Hmmm, hard to say. If this model has autobias capability, it should
be able to set itself up perfectly. Like many autobias schemes,
though, internal calibration is everything. Maybe all it needed was

little recalibration? I cannot figure out why you're getting the
results you were getting on such a capable machine when I got sort of
the opposite. By the way, increasing bias current over optimal will
kill the top end on modern tape, not raise it. Underbiased tape will
have exaggerated top end and higher third harmonic distortion up near
saturation. Overbiased tape will have a rolled off top end, low
distortion, and higher "bias noise". Does this Teac have a manual
override of the autobiasing function?

Hi dB, no the Teac deck of mine has both manual bias and sensitivity
setting(s)....for both chanels. The display gives a reference point
for each type of tape (metal, Cro2, etc.) and you just twiddle the
knobs until you reach the right level. That is good to know that
overbiasing will ruin treble response. I am fairly new to high end
audio and up until a few years ago I never even used the tape type
selector when recording. No wonder all of my tapes sounded funny!

All this is probably academic anyway, since you've long since gotten
rid of 472...and there's none on the market today in most places!
Ever try TDK SA?

No actually I recorded on one of my 472's last night. The recording
came out pretty well but for some reason the Quantegys just don't seem
to have a good high end response. I guess I am just spoiled wih the
TDK and Maxell tapes. And yes, I do like the SA's as they typically
have very good treble response.

Luke

Old May 13th 05, 08:11 AM
Cartrivision1

wrote:
Hmmm, hard to say. If this model has autobias capability, it should
be able to set itself up perfectly. Like many autobias schemes,
though, internal calibration is everything. Maybe all it needed was

a little recalibration?

No, the Teac has manual bias and sensitivity settings (for each channel
even). The display shows a reference point and you just twiddle the
knobs until you get to the right setting. And then just rewind and
rerecord over the test tone.

Overbiased tape will have a rolled off top end, low
distortion, and higher "bias noise". Does this Teac have a manual
override of the autobiasing function?

That is good to know. You can learn a lot from usenet. I am fairly
new to high end audio, and up until just a few years ago I never even
used the "tape type" selector when making a recording. No wonder all
of my tapes sounded funny! On the same note, I thought I read
somewhere that prerecorded tape manufacturers would sometime use normal
tape bias settings when recording on a Chrome tape for a better
outcome. Or maybe it was the other way around?

All this is probably academic anyway, since you've long since gotten
rid of 472...and there's none on the market today in most places!
Ever try TDK SA?

Yeah, the TDK SA is a very good tape and I have always had good results
with those. As well as the Maxell XL II S which is a very good all
around tape. I also used to like the Denon HD8....except those are
impossible to find nowadays.

Luke

dB

Old May 13th 05, 07:14 PM
UNIVERSAL GENIUS

just one question Luke, why are you talking about cassettes in detail,
on an 8-track tape cartridge collecting site ?

Old May 13th 05, 08:13 PM
DeserTBoB

On 12 May 2005 19:29:37 -0700, "UNIVERSAL GENIUS"
wrote:

Man 0 man- Ebay is going CRAZY lately- I can barely keep up with the
sales ! Last month hit $2700 !! snip

Copied and sent to the IRS. HAHAHAHAHA!

Last US audio tape maker quits DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 12 January 8th 05 09:57 PM
Sheaffer john cline ii Pens & Pencils 4 March 31st 04 01:13 PM
FA: 2-Days, Chrysler Corp Tank Plant Ash Tray, c. 50's buckeyeweb General 0 July 27th 03 06:04 AM
FA: Chrysler Corp Tank Plant Ash Tray, c. 50's buckeyeweb General 0 July 22nd 03 04:33 AM
Jimmy Page/Robert Plant Question? Tarkus Shadow Autographs 7 July 22nd 03 04:19 AM