Is this s 1st edition?

Old February 20th 05, 12:41 PM

Default Is this s 1st edition?

hi,
i saw this on ebay.com. it states that it is a 1st edition but the
description says:

Published by : Scholastic
Published Year: 1995
Print Edition / Impression: 5th has the number line 6 8 10 9 7 5 on
copyright page (see photo)

if the lowest number is 5 how can it be a 1st edition?

tis

Old February 20th 05, 02:22 PM
bookeditions

Yes, it could be a first edition, but it is the 5th printing of the
first edition and therefore would not be considered a first edition by
most collector's. A first edition can go into many printings if there
are no changes made to the text by the author/publisher. Once a change
is submitted and printed, a 2nd edition results, which can also go into
multiple printings, and so on.

Old February 20th 05, 03:18 PM

There can be multiple printings within a first edition, I gather, and
some eBayers take advantage of that. The headline will say "first
edition," with the clarifying printing information somewhere in the
listing itself. It strikes me as dishonest, but you have to look and
look and look again before you bid.

Old February 20th 05, 09:13 PM
Bob

wrote

It strikes me as dishonest, but you have to look and
look and look again before you bid.

The auction in question seems perfectly honest to me.
The seller is very clear that the book is a 5th printing of the 1st edition.
Maybe if book buyers spent even the slightest time learning the terms of
book collecting/selling, there wouldn't be inane questions like the one that
started this thread.

--
Bob Finnan
http://bobfinnan.com

Old February 20th 05, 11:39 PM

The auction in question seems perfectly honest to me.
The seller is very clear that the book is a 5th printing of the 1st
edition.

Yes, this material is clear enough, but I'm assuming that the actual
listing (which none of us have seen) is headed "first edition" (going
by the original poster's question, which suggests that this is indeed
what happened--what the OP has copied doesn't say "first edition" at
all). Then, when you go inside, the full information is given. If the
listing were headed "fifth printing," I'll bet fewer people would ever
open it. That's what I'm suggesting is less than honest...

Old February 21st 05, 01:36 AM

Hi,

here is the original ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6946446270

on top it says: Special Attributes : 1st Edition

which was what led me to the link because I was looking for a 1st
edition.

my information says that a 1st edition should have the No. 1 on the
line information part 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ....

thanks again.

Old February 21st 05, 04:48 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Wildwood wrote:

, we accidentally replaced your heart with a baked
potato. You have about three seconds to live.

Hi,

here is the original ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6946446270

on top it says: Special Attributes : 1st Edition

Which was truthful...

which was what led me to the link because I was looking for a 1st
edition.

And you found one... just not the one you were looking for. ;-)

Bill

From The Antique Traders Book Collector's Price Guide. Iola, WI: Krause
Publications, 2003.

"So, when you say, 'first edition' you are basically talking about the first
appearance of a piece of writing in book form. Ideally, you want the first
printing, the first state, complete as it was issued (with errata slips, dust
jacket etc.) This is important to the collector in the same way an original
painting is important to an art collector. It represents the first appearance in
the real world of the piece of writing."

Francis A. Miniter
Old February 21st 05, 10:40 AM

Hi,

So to go back to the original question of the poster -

Is a 5th Printing of a 1st Edition considered a 1st Edition?

I usually collect books that say "First Edition" together with the
complete number line - "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10"

This to me is a TRUE 1st Edition.

A 5th Printing of a 1st Edition is not a 1st Edition for me. Argue all
you want but I think this is not the same as a complete number line.

So please try to answer the poster's question before you insult his
knowledge. Because I think even the so called experts here were once
also novice.