A new collector!

Old January 31st 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default A new collector!

My 11 yr old son has at last started to get "the bug". For Christmas I gave
him a set of the Whitman "penny" boards from 1909 to the present. I also
brought home about 50 pounds of Wheats for him to search through. After
going through them all, he only had about 12 holes left to fill. Every
Friday he wants me to bring home another bucket to search through. Every
week I would bring home about 10 pounds of Wheats for him. What he didn't
know is that each week I would "salt" it with 1 or 2 semi keys. They are
very low grade, like AG3 to G4 at best. Now we're down to the nitty gritty!
4 holes left.... 09 S, 09 S VDB, 14 D and 31 S.

I got him to start trying to fill all the 1959 to the present rather then
worry about the last 4 keys. Hopefully when he's a lot older he'll look
back and smile at the effort his dad went to!

Old January 31st 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Wes,

How about selling some of those "salted" pounds of wheaties on eBay? It
would beat out all the other sellers of supposedly unsearched pounds of
wheaties. Haa Haa.

I could use a 1909-S VDB to fill my album as well.

Bob

ink.net...

Old January 31st 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Wes Chormicle wrote:
My 11 yr old son has at last started to get "the bug". For Christmas I gave
him a set of the Whitman "penny" boards from 1909 to the present. I also
brought home about 50 pounds of Wheats for him to search through. After
going through them all, he only had about 12 holes left to fill. Every
Friday he wants me to bring home another bucket to search through. Every
week I would bring home about 10 pounds of Wheats for him. What he didn't
know is that each week I would "salt" it with 1 or 2 semi keys. They are
very low grade, like AG3 to G4 at best. Now we're down to the nitty gritty!
4 holes left.... 09 S, 09 S VDB, 14 D and 31 S.

I got him to start trying to fill all the 1959 to the present rather then
worry about the last 4 keys. Hopefully when he's a lot older he'll look
back and smile at the effort his dad went to!

When my brother and I were kids (back in the early 1960s), our dad and
grandpa used to go out with us for long leisurely walks. Remarkably my
brother and I would regularly find some coins strewn along the paths of
these walks, amazingly in exactly equal numbers. When we told out other
grandfather about such finds, we began to find coins when out with him
as well.
Old January 31st 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:37:12 GMT, "Wes Chormicle"
wrote:

My 11 yr old son has at last started to get "the bug". For Christmas I gave
him a set of the Whitman "penny" boards from 1909 to the present. I also
brought home about 50 pounds of Wheats for him to search through. After
going through them all, he only had about 12 holes left to fill. Every
Friday he wants me to bring home another bucket to search through. Every
week I would bring home about 10 pounds of Wheats for him. What he didn't
know is that each week I would "salt" it with 1 or 2 semi keys. They are
very low grade, like AG3 to G4 at best. Now we're down to the nitty gritty!
4 holes left.... 09 S, 09 S VDB, 14 D and 31 S.

I got him to start trying to fill all the 1959 to the present rather then
worry about the last 4 keys. Hopefully when he's a lot older he'll look
back and smile at the effort his dad went to!

That's awesome. I tried to get my kids interested in the hobby. It
worked for a while,,, but then slowly fizzled.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get back some of the things I got
them,,, lol. Could sell the stuff and use the proceeds to bolster my
collection :-)

-- Ron K
Old January 31st 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

news
wrote:

[...]

Snip
-- Ron K

Same thing happen with my kids. My daughter is now 28 and she has never
show an interest in the last 15
years. My son did the Whitman boards for a while too. Nothing now in
years.
He does collect knives however.

Dale

Old January 31st 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[...]

C'mon, Wes. That's cheating. No one should be able to nearly complete a
Lincoln set in one month of searching and then be expected to develop into a
patient collector. It took me years of searching and lawn mowing to complete
my set (minus the 1922), and that was in the pre-Memorial days. Then it took
another thirty years to upgrade it to an overall EF-BU grade.

I would have had him attack the 1959 to present album first. If he completed it
without losing interest first, THEN you could have fed him those bags of
"unsearched" wheaties. Next would come the bags of unsearched Morgans, eh?

Bruce

Old February 1st 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:37:12 GMT, "Wes Chormicle"
is alleged to have written:
My 11 yr old son has at last started to get "the bug". For Christmas I gave
him a set of the Whitman "penny" boards from 1909 to the present. I also
brought home about 50 pounds of Wheats for him to search through. After
going through them all, he only had about 12 holes left to fill. Every
Friday he wants me to bring home another bucket to search through. Every
week I would bring home about 10 pounds of Wheats for him. What he didn't
know is that each week I would "salt" it with 1 or 2 semi keys. They are
very low grade, like AG3 to G4 at best. Now we're down to the nitty gritty!
4 holes left.... 09 S, 09 S VDB, 14 D and 31 S.

I got him to start trying to fill all the 1959 to the present rather then
worry about the last 4 keys. Hopefully when he's a lot older he'll look
back and smile at the effort his dad went to!

I can't imagine anything cooler than my Dad running a coin shop. At
age 11, I'd never have left.

Bruce

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.

FS: Major League Baseball "Player" Collector Plates J.R. Sinclair General 0 November 4th 03 07:32 AM
FS: Major League Baseball "Player" Collector Plates J.R. Sinclair Baseball 0 November 3rd 03 06:21 AM
Tradelist Steve Yzerman teraka Hockey 0 September 21st 03 12:16 PM
500 Eric Lindros for sale eskil thomsson Hockey 0 September 17th 03 03:06 PM
FS Eric Lindros CHEAP eskil thomsson Hockey 0 August 21st 03 06:15 PM