Bored with coins?

Old April 19th 04, 04:17 AM
Steven Preston

Default Bored with coins?

No, not a troll post but an invitation to discuss exonumia- basically
anything coin related but not a coin (medals, tokens, etc.). I already
have a top 10 list of what I consider the most interesting pieces of
exonumia and eventually I'll write them up in an article; so if you list
a piece and it happens to be on my list, don't think I stole your idea
(you'll have to trust me on the list). One of my top 10 is encased
postage. Encased postage was created by a man named Gault who, in 1862,
took postage stamps and encased them in brass frames with a mica window
to be used as small change during the civil war when hoarding of coins
extended to even the half cent. Examples are known in several stamp
denominations from one cent up to ninety cents and with several
different merchant names which were stamped into the brass frame as a
means of advertising. As this was a private issue, the "mintages" are
unknown but all are scarce with the higher valued denominations being
excessively rare. An example of American ingenuity and a tangible link
to one of the most important periods in American history, encased
postage earns a spot on my top 10 list of important and/or interesting
exonumia. What's on your list?

-Steve

Old April 19th 04, 09:11 AM
Dave Welsh

"Steven Preston" wrote in message
[...]

In the ancients field there are two very interesting categories of Roman
exonumia:

1) Spintriae - or "bordello tokens." Not exactly family material, but
interesting for some adults.

2) Contorniates - these late-Empire issues may have served as tokens in
connection with the exhibitions and contests in the arenas.

--
Dave Welsh

Old April 19th 04, 09:20 AM
Alan Williams

Steven Preston wrote:

[...]

Masonic Tokens, the topic I've never looked into that I most want to
learn more about. I have a nice, Large Cent size 'Masonic Penny' that
attributes itself to a Lodge in Lonaconing, MD, founded 1886. But I've
been unable to learn when the token itself was actually made.

Alan
'they are a secret society'
Old April 19th 04, 09:31 AM
Ian

Steven Preston wrote:

[...]

My exonumia interests now take precedence over my `numia'
interests......namely :=

1. silver French jetons

2. Scottish (and to a much lesser extent English) Conder tokens

3. Swiss shooting medals

4. Repro German Talers

5. Contemporary counterfeits

I don't think I can go to a `top ten' subjects unless I start sub
categorising number one....which is very easy to do :-)

Ian
Old April 19th 04, 11:23 AM
note.boy

Oh oh, you are asking for trouble with number 5.

Get the asbestos knickers on quick. Billy

Old April 19th 04, 11:25 AM
A.Gent

Ian wrote:

5. Contemporary counterfeits

Oh, I dunno.
I get the idea its mainly modern counterfeits that twist the knickers 'round here.

--
Jeff R.
("Jetons"? whassat?)

Old April 19th 04, 11:43 AM
Ian

Ian wrote:

5. Contemporary counterfeits

Oh, I dunno.
I get the idea its mainly modern counterfeits that twist the knickers 'round here.

--
Jeff R.
("Jetons"? whassat?)

I have to mention at this stage that Jeff recently helped me pull off a
nice `snatch' of two nice french silver jetons on ebay, for which he has
earned my thanks and appreciation. Good on ya sport!

Jetons? Whassat? Indeed (shhhhhh! don't tell everybody they'll all want
in) ;-)