Holes in the book . . .

Old March 3rd 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Holes in the book . . .

"note.boy" wrote in message

"RWF" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"Russell" wrote in message
I just bought two slabbed key coins (32D quarter & 08S Indian
cent). Up till now I have put all of my coins into albums. When I
have freed slabbed coins, I save the label. I am not sure if I
should spring them or not, can I get your opinions?

That's one of the main dilemas today that face collectors who
choose to house their sets in albums. Afraid to buy an expensive
key unless certified and slabbed, but then there's still that empty
hole. Saving the label from a broken out coin does nothing. Once
the coin is separated from its slab, only you know that the label
you saved refers to that exact coin. But if you have no plans to
sell your key coins, go ahead and break them out of their slab.
And you might as well save the label. It could become valuable for
an insurance claim if your collection is ever stolen.

Remick, it's idiocy to suggest that key date coins be broken out of
slabs.
The resale value drops like a rock.

What resale? You assume everyone buys coins for resale? Idiocy?
Drops like a rock? You don't bother to read before reacting. Look
again. I said "If you have no plans to sell your key coins.....". And
I mentioned the potential downside in breaking a key coin from it's
slab. If the poster prefers to include them with the rest of the
coins in his album, they're his

Calm down. It IS idiocy to crack key date coins out. Eventually all
coins will have to be sold.

It's no more idiocy that a collector choosing to make a daily driver
out of his MS65 1957 Chevy rather than keep it pristine under cover in
a garage. As for coins, they have been known to stay in one family for
generations. If they ever do have to be sold, any expensive keys could
be resubmitted to a TPG and certified once more-- if TPG's are still
around. Meanwhile, the owners could have enjoyed handling them and
storing or displaying them however they preferred.

I'm not disputing anyone's right to do what they wish to their coins,
try reading before reacting.

I did. That's what prompted my comments. You made the blanket
implication that anyone who would crack out a key coin is an idiot.
Period. No exceptions. Value was your only consideration. I know
what you're saying and I don't really disagree, but isn't "idiocy" a
bit strong?

I suggest that removing the coin from a slab will make no difference as
today's 55 will probably be a 65 if reslabbd a few years down the line,
especially for key date coins where grade inflation is more common.
Billy

So essentially you're suggesting to break out the key date 55's and enjoy
them firsthand for a while and them have them reslabbed later when
they'll likely have migrated to a higher grade. I hadn't thought of
that. :)

As Baldrick from Blackadder would say, I have a cunning plan.

Has any coin from an older slab ever graded lower once cracked out and
resubmitted? Billy

You got me there. I've never tried it. From the reports of others, you
just might be right-- assuming the same company was involved both ways.

Old March 3rd 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Russell" wrote in message
[...]

You may remember a lengthy saga related by Ira, who had what I considered to
be an absolutely gorgeous 1797 half dollar, graded F-15 by PCGS. He
submitted it and re-submitted it, with F-15 coming back both times. As I
recall, he even asked for a presidential review, which also yielded F-15.
After he sold the coin, it was submitted to NGC, where it got VF-30.

In any event, stories of downgrades lack the macho bragging component, and
thus are much less likely to be related in these pages than upgrades.

James

cutting holes in 45s [email protected] Juke Boxes 4 March 13th 07 05:36 AM
Coins with Holes 2 A.E. Gelat Coins 12 April 24th 06 03:03 AM
Coins with Holes A.E. Gelat Coins 2 April 20th 06 07:44 AM
Coins with Holes A.E. Gelat Coins 1 April 17th 06 03:02 AM
Coins with Holes A.E. Gelat Coins 0 April 16th 06 06:37 PM