Help Me To Understand

Old July 2nd 03, 09:56 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:46:05 -0400, Reid Goldsborough is
alleged to have written:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:03:37 GMT, (Bruce
Hickmott) wrote:

1) Reid vs the Anti Reids. Many heartfelt opinions have been exchanged between
these folks and some good discussions as well, but the threads rapidly
degenerate into Reid being attacked for past conduct and his writing techniques.

Bruce Hickmott isn't as rabid as some of the others here, but the
above is total poppycock.

actually, it's dead bang on. Check google. Frequently, you start a good
discussion (or try to) and it degenerates into a discussion of your past
conduct. Or you join in on a discussion and the same thing happens. Like it or
not, you're a polarizing figure here in RCC. I wish it were otherwise, and it's
not all your fault that it's so.

His putting this as the number one
contentious "reality" here is funny, as if this is bigger than the ACG
controversy or the ANA vote or the market grading debate or the White
God racist and other troll junk and so on.

It was just the first thing that came to mind. Please don't read anything into
the random listing order.

What's more, in actual
reality, there are no Reid and Anti Reids. There are only Anti Reids.
I'm a chimera. The existence of the Anti Reids is an existential
necessity brought on by my use of words such as "chimera" and by my
having nicer coins than anybody else.

Well, maybe. But I'll match my half cents against yours any day!

Bruce

Old July 2nd 03, 11:47 PM
Maja

Hello Reid,

Methinks you're as phony as an 1805 Bust dollar. Enjoy yourself.

Well, like anyone else has, you have the right to your own opinion. Your
derogatory words have deeply hurt me, but I will not let them drive me away
from my quest to be here, and that is to learn more about coins and the fun
of being actively involved in numismatics. I am not one who is given to
profanity, or I would surely tell you what I think of you and your biting
comment about me.

Since you are so quick to ascribe a measure of falsehood and insincerity to
someone whom you don't know at all, I humbly bow before your awesome powers
of cognition and insight, and will not bother you any further with my
postings. I suspect that there are other readers here who will not blindly
and ignorantly categorize me in such a fashion, and with whom I can learn
from and dialogue with.

Thank you for your comments, and for your self-fulfilling prophecy from
another thread -- ". . .and there are some really
dumb people who like to instigate. . ."

-Maja

Old July 3rd 03, 12:01 AM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:50:04 -0400, Chrysta Wilson is
alleged to have written:

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:49:12 GMT, "Maja" wrote:

My thanks to all who replied to my post. I have a better sense as to what
this is all about now.

Methinks you're as phony as an 1805 Bust dollar. Enjoy yourself.

Maja has been posting legitimately here for over two weeks. Methinks
she's for real, and that if you paid more attention you'd know that too.
Methinks she may also have your number already.

--
~~~Chrysta~~~

If she didn't before, she does now. Based on her reply to Reid, she's gonna fit
right in. :-)

Bruce
Old July 3rd 03, 12:03 AM
Ankaaz

Reid wrote:

"And there are some really bright people who like to instigate."

And that would be...moi.

:-)

Anka Z
Co-president of the once thriving, but now defunct, Tommy John Fan Club.
Go, Lake County Captains!

Old July 3rd 03, 01:18 AM
Maja

Hi Bruce,

For myself, I like half cents, Early proofs and liberty 5c patterns. What

do you collect?

Well, I collected a hodgepodge of things back in the 70's. And, for whatever
reason, I then did very little collecting for about 25 years. Just recently,
something has stirred up an avid interest within me again, and I've just
finished gathering a fairly good set of circulated Barber quarters. (All
except for the three most expensive in that series.)

More recently, something has flung a craving on me to collect some Morgan
dollars. I've just this week finished gathering all of the 26 New Orleans
minted Morgans, mostly in AU-BU, except for 3 in XF. This has turned out to
be a really nice set, and one that I enjoy looking at. I don't have anything
definite in mind to collect, though I may try to put together a nice type
set of some kind.

-Maja

Old July 3rd 03, 01:38 AM
Bruce Remick

This group has offered me loads of things-- a chance to actually learn
new stuff about coins, how to handle and store them, to read opinions of
others more knowledgeable about issues than I am, to exchange banter and
"play" a little, and on rare occasions to even get involved in a hostile
discussion.
I doubt it will be the case, but if none of the above fits the bill for
you, there's always the rec.hydrangea.husbandry group or
alt.hip-hop.quaker forum, neither of which is directly associated with
rec.collecting.coins.

Bruce
Old July 3rd 03, 03:20 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:47:02 GMT, "Maja" wrote:

Well, like anyone else has, you have the right to your own opinion. Your
derogatory words have deeply hurt me,

You're deeply hurt? You hurt way too easily. But if you are really
deeply hurt because I said you come across here like others before you
who've posted phony messages inquiring about the nature of this
newsgroup, I'm sorry I deeply hurt you. If you're not just one of the
Usual Suspects, then you should know that this newsgroup is like any
group anywhere, governed by the same group dynamics. Nothing new about
the factions and jousting and politicking and brown nosing and peace
making and saber rattling and all the rest. A group is a group.

--

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old July 3rd 03, 04:15 AM
plicated

1) Reid vs the Anti Reids

Hey, watch it....that's a little too close to home