Akai CR-80T Rare?

Old November 8th 07, 02:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default Akai CR-80T Rare?

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:30:35 -0800, still_trackin
wrote:

Just won one of these Akai decks with built in tuner/amp off of e Bay
and was wondering if they are as scarce as they seem. snip

Yes.

I've only seen a
couple in the 7 years I've used sleaze bay.
Looks like AM antenna is missing (not a big deal) hopefully can be
replaced. snip

Hmmm...the ferrite rod antenna for the AM could be a problem in that
different units had different front ends back in those days, and the
loop impedance of one might not work really well with another without
aligning the front end of the AM tuner. No big loss, since there's
absolutely nothing to listen to on AM these days anyway, unless you're
into right wing drug addicts and cranks who like to hear themselves
talk. If you happen to have a junker Japanese receiver laying around
for parts, give it a swap...maybe it'll work great. Usually all it
takes to match a loop antenna to the AM tuner's front end it
adjustment of a trimmer capacitor in the first RF stage, but I'm not
sure in this case.

Seller claims deck works fine, and tuner is getting a signal
w/o antenna (we'll see when it arrives) Got it at a good price...
$30.99 + $24.95 shipping.
Did I get a good deal on this rare Akai? snip

One went for $20 quite awhile back, but the shipping was huge, making
the overall cost somewhat in your favor.

How difficult are they to
find these days? snip

Very.

Most Akai decks are plentiful on the Bay, this one
seems to surface rarely. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Will
post an update when I receive it. Thanks snip

This is a rare variant of the 80 series indeed, and the "T" option
with onboard tuner and power amp didn't continue into the 81, 82 and
83 models which came later. If you're a collector, great. I can't
vouch for the usefulness of the internal power amp (surely very low
power) but having a tuner in the same box could be a real plus
depending on your application.
Old November 8th 07, 03:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

Just won one of these Akai decks with built in tuner/amp off of e Bay
and was wondering if they are as scarce as they seem. I've only seen a
couple in the 7 years I've used sleaze bay.
Looks like AM antenna is missing (not a big deal) hopefully can be
replaced. Seller claims deck works fine, and tuner is getting a signal
w/o antenna (we'll see when it arrives) Got it at a good price...
$30.99 + $24.95 shipping.
Did I get a good deal on this rare Akai? How difficult are they to
find these days? Most Akai decks are plentiful on the Bay, this one

Old November 8th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking of using this as a stand alone
system in an extra bedroom or my garage. I have my eye on a pair of
Akai SW-130 add on reel to reel speakers to plug in via the 1/4" phono
plug inputs. Those speakers might not be the greatest, but the only
other alternative is to go with some type of DJ speakers do to the
1/4" hook up.
I'll probably hook it up first to my Audio Research tube system
just for grins! I don't have a tuner in that set up but that system is
far too revealing... 8 track decks just don't come across very
well...too noisy! BTW... I did see an 81T on some guy's website so
they do exist.
I noticed that this unit also has a phono input...might hook up
the Dual 1219 into that....altho I can't imagine the phono stage being
too good. Looks like I'll be putting this set up in the gargage like I
said before. Have you ever heard the Akai SW-130 speakers? It would be
kinda cool to match them up with the 80T, but not too sure about how
well they sound. Thanks Again

Old November 9th 07, 03:11 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:45:27 -0800, still_trackin
wrote:

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking of using this as a stand alone
system in an extra bedroom or my garage. I have my eye on a pair of
Akai SW-130 add on reel to reel speakers to plug in via the 1/4" phono
plug inputs. snip

Ooops...crossed terminology here.

There are two separate jack/plug types here...one is the ubiquitous
"phono" or "RCA" plug, the other is the ¼" PHONE jack, as in
"headphones," a term that came into being in the broadcast industry,
as that was the standard connection for on-air headphones. ¼" is also
the de facto standard in the musical instrument business.

Either way, you can connect any speaker via either plug...just go down
to your local "Rat Shack" and buy them and solder them onto some
speaker lead and you're set. Some are even "solderless, using small
screw terminals. The RTR speakers are probably just a 6x9" or 5¼"
full range thrown into an unbaffled "door" box and will not sound well
at all, no matter what the source. See what you have for speakers,
and simply put the appropriate plug on the end of the speaker wire to
plug them in to the 80T. Remember...it's better to have good speakers
and a crummy amp than a good amp and crummy speakers.

I'll probably hook it up first to my Audio Research tube system
just for grins! I don't have a tuner in that set up but that system is
far too revealing... 8 track decks just don't come across very
well...too noisy! snip

8 tracks are indeed too noisy unless you happen to have home dubbed
material on good tape and/or a Dolby encoded cart. My testing (when I
was really into comparing formats) showed that Dolby cartridges were
even noisier than later non-encoded cassettes, mostly due to the
comparatively low "Maximum Operating Level" standard for 8 tracks (185
nanoWebers/meter) compared to post-1981 cassette (250 nW/m), a 4.1 dB
difference right there, and that's even on ferric oxide cassettes.
CrO² gave yet another 2-3 dB increase in noise floor for cassettes.
Factor in the lousy tape used by tape duplication plants, and you have
a pretty sick sounding format on a good system. However, homemade 8
tracks done on such blanks as Ampex Grand Master or Scotch Master,
done on a good, properly aligned deck like a Wollensak 8075 with
Dolby or an Akai 82 GXD, can rival and beat cassette in many areas.
There's just no getting around those skinny tracks with narrow guard
bands, though, which plagued both formats until their respective
demises.

In cars, nobody bitched too much about the horrid noise, mainly
because car speakers weren't that good anyway, and the noise levels
inside American cars back in those days was so high, you couldn't hear
anything much anyway. In a good home system (or even a
better-than-average car system in a quiet car,) the flaws of the
format become quite annoying...bad frequency response, very high noise
floor, tape scrape distortion and all the rest.

BTW... I did see an 81T on some guy's website so
they do exist. snip

Indeed they do...my mistake. Even our resident paranoid delusional
nut case, Charlie Nudo, has had one, I'm pretty sure.
..
I noticed that this unit also has a phono input...might hook up
the Dual 1219 into that....altho I can't imagine the phono stage being
too good. snip

I can't remember right now, but I think the "phono" input on the 80T
is a low level input for magnetic cartridges, but I'm not sure.
Surely, the RIAA equalization can't be the best and it's probably
noisier than hell. Still, it may offer a very convenient way to dub
LPs and 45s to 8 track, if you have a car 8 track. I did a lot of
that a couple of years back to provide music in my 8 track equipped
Honda, and the experienced vis à vis CDs proved the format to be
unacceptable, but interesting to investigate and play with.

Looks like I'll be putting this set up in the gargage like I
said before. Have you ever heard the Akai SW-130 speakers? It would be
kinda cool to match them up with the 80T, but not too sure about how
well they sound. Thanks Again snip

If you want to use those, fine, especially if you want to have an "all
Akai" system, but don't count on them sounding much better than a car
radio speaker.
Old November 9th 07, 12:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

On Nov 8, 10:30 am, still_trackin wrote:
Just won one of these Akai decks with built in tuner/amp off of e Bay
and was wondering if they are as scarce as they seem. I've only seen a
couple in the 7 years I've used sleaze bay.
Looks like AM antenna is missing (not a big deal) hopefully can be
replaced. Seller claims deck works fine, and tuner is getting a signal
w/o antenna (we'll see when it arrives) Got it at a good price...
$30.99 + $24.95 shipping.
Did I get a good deal on this rare Akai? How difficult are they to
find these days? Most Akai decks are plentiful on the Bay, this one
seems to surface rarely. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Will
post an update when I receive it. Thanks

yes, they are scarce, but there is no demand for them, hence the lower
price than a regular Akai component deck

but they are still built rock solid like an Akai, so good for you

I modify track switch circuit on the Akai decks, so it switches tracks
reliably

Old November 9th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 04:12:47 -0800, trippin-2-8-track
wrote:

I modify track switch circuit on the Akai decks, so it switches tracks
reliably snip

Don't pay any attention to our resident nut ball...he's a fraudster
and con man, Charlie Nudo of Drums, PA.

The Akai mod is explained in detail at http://www.8trackheaven.com and
folks on their forum will be glad to explain it to you. This
fraudster Nudo didn't know a capacitor from a lump of coal a couple of
years ago, so it's best to stay way away.
Old November 9th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

wrote:
I modify track switch circuit on the Akai decks, so it switches tracks
reliably snip

Don't pay any attention to our resident nut ball...he's a fraudster
and con man, Charlie Nudo of Drums, PA.

The Akai mod is explained in detail athttp://www.8trackheaven.comand
folks on their forum will be glad to explain it to you. This
fraudster Nudo didn't know a capacitor from a lump of coal a couple of
years ago, so it's best to stay way away.

Thanks for all the info! I might try to pick up a used integrated amp
to run the 80T into instead of going with the SW-130's....will no
doubt get better results that way. BTW..the 130's are actually a 2 way
system with a 12" woofer and 3.5" tweeter, rated at only 25 watts.
They have the same 1/4" phone inputs as the 80T. I'll keep you posted
when the deck arrives, hopefully in working condition and in one
piece!!
Also, I hooked up an Akai CR-81 into the aux. input on a Telex 48H
along with a pair of JBL 4412 speakers just for the hell of it! Not
much power as expected, but at least the amp and aux input in the 48H
is working. Doesn't sound all that bad considering the limited output
of the 48H's amp.
5 watts rms per channel....LOL!! Later

Old November 12th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:26:14 -0500, "trippin-2-8-trak"
wrote:

Run the Akai or Telex into a single ended stereo tube amp- you'll really get
some nice sound then- it's the only way to fly. snip

Noodles' "single ended tube amps" are the crap he wrecks out of cheap
consoles he gets for nothing at dead coal miners' estate sales around
Dumbs (Bumler), PA. He doesn't even know what the term means.

Your idea is sound. Those 5 watt amps are kinda not very good at
anything but background noise.

Old November 12th 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

trackin'- don't listen to anything DeserTBob tells you- if you check
8trackheaven group, you'll find he was booted, then he went back in and
removed all his posts like a little baby- wherever somone disagreed with
him- he can't take it when someone contradicts his false information- check
this thread, you'll see where he was put in his place fast- then he
disappeared

http://groups.google.com/group/8trac...ad/16148fb18b3
00eac/12251c5ece69b6f6?lnk=gst&q=akai+track+switching#12 251c5ece69b6f6

Larry Blumenfeld View profile
More options Dec 3 2005, 9:59 am
From: (Larry Blumenfeld)
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 09:59:17 -0500
Subject: [8-trackheaven] Oh how I wish.../pressure pad myth

"DeserTBoB" wrote:
You just can't get replacement 8 track heads anymore,snip

I've got a replacement head, bought from Lafayette Radio many years ago,
stashed away somewhere...

Happy trails,
Larry B.

ups.com...