Insurance claims made by buyer or seller?

Old March 1st 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

Default Insurance claims made by buyer or seller?

Has anyone had to make an insurance claim before? I bought a sports card on
eBay and this situation is fishy. The card arrived damaged and upon closer
inspection of the picture it appears the picture has been altered to hide
the damage.

When I informed the seller about the damage he said it was fine when he
shipped it. He has now sent me an insurance claim form to sign and bring to
my local post office. Is that the standard procedure?

Old March 1st 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jim menning

http://www.usps.com/insuranceclaims/_pdf/pub122.pdf

Old March 1st 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
rjn

"PC" wrote:

Has anyone had to make an insurance claim before?

Yep, but with Fedex, and as shipper.

File your SNAD immediately. Get the seller to refund you
irrespective of the outcome of the USPS claim. Assist the
seller in the USPS process.

I bought a sports card on eBay ...

I think I found your problem.
An estimated 104% of sports memorabilia are counterfeit.

...and this situation is fishy.

Starting with the sellers eBay store name.
Why is so much missing from the Item Specifics?
And why is "Professionally Graded" set to "no"?

Is PSA is grader?
not approved by eBay?

"We are not responsible for uninsured items."

Yes they are. Read your eBay User Agreement,
"Liability" section. It takes more than declining optional
insurance to change those terms.

"For Insurance Please add $1.65 to final total."

Never bother. These statements are of no effect in
eBay disputes, and merely indicate that seller is
clueless, or crook, or both.

The card arrived damaged ...

In what way?

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old March 1st 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"rjn" wrote in message

The card arrived damaged ...

In what way?

A crack in the case like an ice pick struck it. It did not appear to me
that the packaging was damaged in a similar fashion.

Old March 2nd 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Mar 1, 6:00*pm, "PC" wrote:
"rjn" wrote in message

The card arrived damaged ...

In what way?

A crack in the case like an ice pick struck it. *It did not appear to me
that the packaging was damaged in a similar fashion.

Remember the the USPS will not pay for damages unless theyvare
convinced tjatbrhe damage occurred while in their custody and control.
They will want to see the packaging as well as the merchandise and a
printout of the auction

Both sender and received must fill out forms. It can take 90 days to
resolve. You will not receive compensation if the postal authorities
believe the product was shipped damaged or was improperly packaged.
I'm suspicious of the seller as I believe you are as well.

Ira
Old March 2nd 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"Ira" wrote in message
On Mar 1, 6:00 pm, "PC" wrote:
"rjn" wrote in message

The card arrived damaged ...

In what way?

A crack in the case like an ice pick struck it. It did not appear to me
that the packaging was damaged in a similar fashion.

Remember the the USPS will not pay for damages unless theyvare
convinced tjatbrhe damage occurred while in their custody and control.
They will want to see the packaging as well as the merchandise and a
printout of the auction

Both sender and received must fill out forms. It can take 90 days to
resolve. You will not receive compensation if the postal authorities
believe the product was shipped damaged or was improperly packaged.
I'm suspicious of the seller as I believe you are as well.

Well this gets better. First, the person at the PO told me that the USPS
may balk at the claim since the packaging does not demonstrate the same
damage. Also this claim is being made by me so apparently I am supposed to
now deal with the USPS for a refund? I don't think so. Furthermore the
seller only purchased $50 worth of insurance. So now I am supposed to wait
on the USPS and hope I get a partial refund.

I will communicate with the seller the status of the claim and ask for a
refund from him. We'll see what happens.