support for piggy bank theory

Old June 2nd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default support for piggy bank theory

I agree that high prices are causing old stuff to be used as change. In my
case yesterday I got a very crisp but folded once Series '63 Star $2 US NOTE
in change at a grocery. The clerk reported that someone paid for a purchase
with that plus 4 more old Twos that he had already passed out in change.
I'll be hitting the local bank branches this weekend for Toms.

"e" wrote in message
. ..
today i resued $31.61 out of the supermarket coin rip off
machine from the evil employees today. my theory is that the
price of gas is pulling coins out of long term piggy banks.
in the above total, i found 31 bicentennial quarters, all
au-bu, 4 had fullstaves.
there were 7 silver quarters, 5 61-64 ef and better, 2
1950's f and vg.
i war nickel, 17 pre 1960.
22 wheats. typical late 70's mix, 40's-50s and one 1933.
all of the pennies were copper.
silver coins seem to jam that machine, so i watch older
people and tweakers when they pour. many of them are
oblivious to the return on the side. if they look like
street people or really poor and their coins are rejected, i
tell them.
tweakers and hippys can go hang.

Old June 2nd 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 13:25:33 -0700, PossumTrot wrote:
I agree that high prices are causing old stuff to be used as change. In my
case yesterday I got a very crisp but folded once Series '63 Star $2 US NOTE
in change at a grocery. The clerk reported that someone paid for a purchase
with that plus 4 more old Twos that he had already passed out in change.
I'll be hitting the local bank branches this weekend for Toms.

Well, I'm seeing the same thing in "junk silver". The last two batches
of Walking Liberty halves I bought (both with silver above 13) had much
better than the usual 1940's assortment I'd normally find in WLH's.
So even among collectors they're digging deeper, in this case because
silver prices are doing well.

Wish I had a couple bills to drop today, it's on sale again. Anyone
else having trouble last couple days getting to kitco's site, by the
way?
Old June 2nd 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 21:36:04 GMT, e wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz wrote:

Anyone
else having trouble last couple days getting to kitco's site, by the
way?

i just tried 3 different ways and it popped right up?
change any settings on your browser?

Nada. Was wodgy from home last night too which is different in about
every way as it could be from here. Ah well, I could always demand a
refund.