Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Old September 27th 09, 07:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

Default Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANTUPDATE)

On Sep 27, 12:26*am, Butch Malahide wrote:
On Sep 25, 12:48*pm, Stratum101 wrote:

[. . .]
Although Dallas is well served by the two large
chains, namely B&N and Borders, which each has its
30,000-50,000 titles, there is only one used bookstore
of importance. *That is Half Price which like Powell's
in Portland sells a combo of used and new. *It is a
chain in central and western states. *Its headquarters
store is in Dallas and is quite a draw. *

How is it such a draw, if Texans are non-readers?

Because it is the only significant used bookstore
in a large city, idiot. The minority of the population
who do browse in bookstores all show up at the
same place, which in the case of Dallas
is *one* place.

Old September 27th 09, 07:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

On Sep 27, 1:51*am, Stratum101 wrote:
On Sep 27, 12:26*am, Butch Malahide wrote:

On Sep 25, 12:48*pm, Stratum101 wrote:

[. . .]
Although Dallas is well served by the two large
chains, namely B&N and Borders, which each has its
30,000-50,000 titles, there is only one used bookstore
of importance. *That is Half Price which like Powell's
in Portland sells a combo of used and new. *It is a
chain in central and western states. *Its headquarters
store is in Dallas and is quite a draw. *

How is it such a draw, if Texans are non-readers?

Because it is the only significant used bookstore
in a large city, idiot. * The minority of the population
who do browse in bookstores all show up at the
same place, which in the case of Dallas
is *one* place.

For other literalist idiots who don't understand
the context of Irkutsk, make this last sentence
"...show up at the same places, which
in the case of Dallas is only one place".

Old September 27th 09, 10:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

On Sep 25, 2:42*pm, Bill Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:11:55 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans

wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:48:22 -0700 (PDT), Stratum101
wrote:

On Sep 25, 9:43*am, Evelyn Leeper wrote:

UShttp://www.leepers.us/evelyn/bookshops/na-sw.htm** * Southwestern

I'd move Texas from "southwestern" into "southern".
It is culturally Southern and only a little over
100 miles from Louisiana.

Not all of Texas is culturally Southern. *Not all of Texas is
ANYTHING. *It's an absurdly huge place, and the line between Southern
and Southwestern runs through it, not along its border.

And what's 100 miles from Louisiana? *Texas adjoins Louisiana -- but
San Antonio, for example, is hundreds of miles from that border. *Did
you mean Dallas?

To me, Dallas doesn't seem culturally Southern.

As a long-time resident, I'd say putting "Dallas" and "culture" in
the same sentence is highly questionable, unless maybe you're
discussing microbiology.

High standard of living, low level of introspection among
natives is how I would characterize Dallas. I'm from
San Francisco, and am spending a year or so in Dallas.
I lived here 40 years ago for a couple of years. One trades
high priced real estate there for abysmal weather here.
Dallas has almost no graffiti in comparison with cities
on both coasts. People are politer here. But in San
Francisco, as an example of what I consider cultural
cluelessness in Dallas, light skinned young people
don't cover themselves with tattoos, nor are there
many tanning salons.

Interestingly, the coffee house culture exists
in Dallas, especially North Dallas, where
more of the city's population live. Every
corner has its Starbucks. But again,
Dallas, a city of chain businesses,
lacks independent coffee houses which
abound in West Coast cities. Your
Dallas Starbucks is a place for
closing deals.

San Francisco is blessed with books. There is
about one used bookstore for every business
district and many independents operate
alongside B&N and Borders which each
has only a few stores in the City.
There's even a decent Half Price
Books over in Berkeley although that
chain has consolidated three stores in
the Bay Area into one. I don't think
it has any stores in the Southland,
that is, down around L.A.

Rambling discussion...

Is Texas a good place to live?
Well, in a free society, you can
thrive anywhere. Dallas is far
more integrated among blacks and
whites. But black people, comprising
maybe 35% of the local population
are the only significant minority.
No ethnic group has a majority
in large California cities. Maybe
40% of the Bay Area population
is Asian with Chinese and
Indians as the largest sub-groups.
The most common surname
in the San Francisco phone
book is Lee (or was said to be
years ago when Art Hoppe was
alive.) I would guess that over
half of Sunnyvale's population
is Indian. (Sunnyvale is the
second largest city in Santa
Clara County which includes
Silicon Valley.) Black people in
the Bay Area and in California
in general clearly have second-rate
status. And down in Los Angeles,
just eavesdrop any conversation
among the boys in blue on break
(at a Winchell's, say) if you want
to hear statements that wouldn't
be tolerated in present-day
Big D.

Old September 27th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
foad[_14_]

"Stratum101" wrote in message

Is Texas a good place to live?
Well, in a free society, you can
thrive anywhere. Dallas is far
more integrated among blacks and
whites. But black people, comprising
maybe 35% of the local population
are the only significant minority.

======

There are no hispanics in Dallas? That seems odd. Or do you lump all the
coloreds together for demographic purposes. Let's go to the video tape

Dallas, Texas

White 50.8%
Hispanic / Latino 35.6%
Black 25.9%

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/4819000.html

So to recap: you're very observant and nearly everything you say is as if
Moses brought it down the mountain personally.

Old September 27th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

On Sep 27, 8:10*am, "foad" wrote:
"Stratum101" wrote in message

Is Texas a good place to live?
Well, in a free society, you can
thrive anywhere. *Dallas is far
more integrated among blacks and
whites. *But black people, comprising
maybe 35% of the local population
are the only significant minority.

======

There are no hispanics in Dallas? That seems odd. Or do you lump all the
coloreds together for demographic purposes. Let's go to the video tape

Dallas, Texas

White 50.8%
Hispanic / Latino * 35.6%
Black 25.9%

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/4819000.html

So to recap: you're very observant and nearly everything you say is as if
Moses brought it down the mountain personally.

That's an interesting stat, and is repeated in the
Wikipedia entry "Demographics of Dallas".

I am surprised that Latinos outnumber blacks. That blacks
are half the white population does seem about what
I see. I being from California where Latinos are the largest
minority would notice. (Converseley, when I was at the
U. of Texas in the 1960s, I thought San Antonio, 75 miles
away from Austin, looked just like a mini-Los Angeles.)

I do not know where Dallas Latinos are hiding and
I don't think they've assimilated. I did note that
part of Walnut Hill where I lived at the end of the
1960s now looks predominantly Latino in the
vicinity of Webb Chapel at Northwest
Highway, but that's only a small part of
North Dallas.

Anyway, I welcome some yummy food
(and non-chain places!) being added to the
local cuisine by Latinos' inclusion. I look
for places with "Baja" in their name which
implies northwest Mexican cuisine, the
kind which is everywhere in Los Angeles.

The L.A. style quesadilla is one of the
basic food groups, and helps to prevent
under-employment among cardiologists
and oncologists. Your native Dallas
quesadilla is a pitiful imitation fit only
for Weight Watchers.

Old September 28th 09, 07:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
DouhetSukd

On Sep 26, 9:10*pm, Butch Malahide wrote:
On Sep 25, 5:34*pm, DouhetSukd wrote:

Well, of course. If it's like most college bookstores, the only used
books it carries are textbooks for classes. Obviously the wrong place
to look for science fiction and fantasy; for that you want a used book
store.

Beg to differ. I would have gotten better grades in my EE courses had
my college bookstore had a more modest SF selection at the time.
Old September 28th 09, 07:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Dorothy J Heydt

In article ,
DouhetSukd wrote:
On Sep 26, 9:10*pm, Butch Malahide wrote:
On Sep 25, 5:34*pm, DouhetSukd wrote:

Well, of course. If it's like most college bookstores, the only used
books it carries are textbooks for classes. Obviously the wrong place
to look for science fiction and fantasy; for that you want a used book
store.

Beg to differ. I would have gotten better grades in my EE courses had
my college bookstore had a more modest SF selection at the time.

Long, long ago, in the morning of the world when there was
less noise and more green, I took a summer course at
Stanford, which got me access to the library stacks. They had
a complete run of F&SF (up to that time, which was about 1960).
I had *such* a lovely time. I even got some coursework done
too, 'cause they also had the complete works of Federico
Garcia Lorca.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
Old September 28th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stanley Moore

al-september.org...
wrote:

On Sep 25, 9:43 am, Evelyn Leeper wrote:

UShttp://www.leepers.us/evelyn/bookshops/na-sw.htm Southwestern

I'd move Texas from "southwestern" into "southern".
It is culturally Southern and only a little over
100 miles from Louisiana.

Not all of Texas is culturally Southern. Not all of Texas is
ANYTHING. It's an absurdly huge place, and the line between Southern
and Southwestern runs through it, not along its border.

And what's 100 miles from Louisiana? Texas adjoins Louisiana -- but
San Antonio, for example, is hundreds of miles from that border. Did
you mean Dallas?

To me, Dallas doesn't seem culturally Southern.

I agree that Dallas is culturally "Texan" G not Southern. We are big and
diverse. Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

Old September 28th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

wrote:

On Sep 25, 9:43 am, Evelyn Leeper wrote:

UShttp://www.leepers.us/evelyn/bookshops/na-sw.htmSouthwestern

I'd move Texas from "southwestern" into "southern".
It is culturally Southern and only a little over
100 miles from Louisiana.

Not all of Texas is culturally Southern. *Not all of Texas is
ANYTHING. *It's an absurdly huge place, and the line between Southern
and Southwestern runs through it, not along its border.

And what's 100 miles from Louisiana? *Texas adjoins Louisiana -- but
San Antonio, for example, is hundreds of miles from that border. *Did
you mean Dallas?

To me, Dallas doesn't seem culturally Southern.

I agree that Dallas is culturally "Texan" G not Southern. We are big and
diverse. Take care

This is the sort of silly boosterism that one commonly hears
around Dallas and Fort Worth, that is, that they're "Western".
In fact, the owner of one of the used bookstores in the
big ol' Metroplex, a place in Handley over on the east
side of Fort Worth, informed me that *California*
isn't really the West. Texuss iz, y'all.

I don't know how to argue with such unvarnished
ignorance. I will say as a guy who has read
just about all of Wallace Stegner and who has
spent most of his life in the Far West that
*we* know where the place is even if Texans
are geographically naive.

If you're in Dallas, pard, you're down in
the South.

Old September 28th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

On Sep 28, 9:20*am, "Stanley Moore" wrote:

Actually it is 0 miles from Louisiana as Texas borders that state G. Texas
is a big state and is culturally diverse. I agree that Houston area is
Southern in orientation but Laredo and the western parts are Western while
Lubbock and the panhandle are more Midwestern and Brownsville near the
Mexican border is different yet.

Yes, and I understand your desire to keep Dallas out of
the South, but even I can see the place has changed from
the redneck, Jim Crow town where I lived in the
late 1960s.